ADVERTISEMENT

A confession

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I have not posted a whole lot on here lately and that is for a reason. Quite frankly, I just am no longer all that excited about Husker football. And to put that in perspective, as those who know me a bit on here understand, I have been as rabid a Husker fan as they come since 1965 when I attended my first Husker game with my dad when I was 7. I sold concessions in the stands and attended every game until I went off to college back East in 1978. And even then I remember paying for long distance calls on Saturdays so my dad could put the phone up near the radio so I could listen to Bremser call the games. I have lived on the East coast since 1978 and have still found a way to attend two Husker home games a year and I have been to many bowl games and away games. I am not a fair weather fan. I have bled Husker Red even during the doldrums of Callahan and Riley.

But something has changed within me. And I am just going to admit to something. I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.

Anyway, it is getting harder and harder and harder for me to generate any enthusiasm anymore for Husker football. My sister, who grew up in Lincoln too and now lives in Greenwood, has been just as big of a Husker fan as I have and yet she too now feels the same. I asked her on the phone the other day if she was getting that same vibe from other Nebraskans who are die-hard fans. And she said "Oh yeah. Nobody really gives a shit anymore." I have another friend who just gave up his season tickets which he has had since 1981. He told me he has "better things to do with my life on Saturday afternoons in the Fall than waste my time and money on Husker football."

And so I am curious... do others on here feel the same? Or am I just a depressive outlier who needs to quit whining? What is the vibe back in Nebraska? How much is left in the tank of the Husker fan base?

I can’t imagine life without husker football, I still try to arrange my fall Saturdays around game time, wear my husker gear throughout the week, and hope for the best.

If this year doesn’t show a turnaround, I’m not sure what to think. If frost is fired, and if this year is another flop he should be, I hope we find someone who can change things around. I believe if frost isn’t that guy, we will find him.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with Frost, but his ego seems to be pretty inflated. That’s a turn off. I’m not where you are Pennsy, and I hope things improve and you can regain the excitement that husker football brings.

Hang in there, buddy, you’re one of the good guys here...

I have not posted a whole lot on here lately and that is for a reason. Quite frankly, I just am no longer all that excited about Husker football. And to put that in perspective, as those who know me a bit on here understand, I have been as rabid a Husker fan as they come since 1965 when I attended my first Husker game with my dad when I was 7. I sold concessions in the stands and attended every game until I went off to college back East in 1978. And even then I remember paying for long distance calls on Saturdays so my dad could put the phone up near the radio so I could listen to Bremser call the games. I have lived on the East coast since 1978 and have still found a way to attend two Husker home games a year and I have been to many bowl games and away games. I am not a fair weather fan. I have bled Husker Red even during the doldrums of Callahan and Riley.

But something has changed within me. And I am just going to admit to something. I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.

Anyway, it is getting harder and harder and harder for me to generate any enthusiasm anymore for Husker football. My sister, who grew up in Lincoln too and now lives in Greenwood, has been just as big of a Husker fan as I have and yet she too now feels the same. I asked her on the phone the other day if she was getting that same vibe from other Nebraskans who are die-hard fans. And she said "Oh yeah. Nobody really gives a shit anymore." I have another friend who just gave up his season tickets which he has had since 1981. He told me he has "better things to do with my life on Saturday afternoons in the Fall than waste my time and money on Husker football."

And so I am curious... do others on here feel the same? Or am I just a depressive outlier who needs to quit whining? What is the vibe back in Nebraska? How much is left in the tank of the Husker fan base?

QUIT RUNNING SCARED!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: CatColumbia

Sorta.
I don't look forward to Fall with the same vigor but am leaving room in my routine to watch a full Nebraska game if the situation presents itself. I mostly checked out at halftime last year. So many other things to do these days. Currently on season 5 of the sopranos. Where's the gabagool?

I agree about not being as interested.

At first with the hire I liked the big talk. Thought we needed some of that attitude. Then I realized it was just talk and nothing backed it up. Now i just want them to shut up and put in work.

The thing that frustrates me most... is not having qbs that can pass.

I agree about not being as interested.

At first with the hire I liked the big talk. Thought we needed some of that attitude. Then I realized it was just talk and nothing backed it up. Now i just want them to shut up and put in work.

The thing that frustrates me most... is not having qbs that can pass.
Not having a running game (other than a quarterback run when the play breaks down) is also very frustrating.

Oh great, another guy "ballin yer eyes out!" LOL

I'm still very into the Huskers but I'm sick of being pissed off all day Saturday every fall. It's not healthy. Frost does not have much of a personality. I hope they can win some games and he can loosen up, but we'll see.

Full disclosure I was too young to really remember Nebraska when they were Nebraska. I really started following things in 2001. Growing up I lived and died with the team but with every new coach Ive become less interested. I was fooled by Frost like everyone else was, it's now clear that 2017 season was a flash in the pan. I believe the last time I went to a game was Rileys first year when we beat Michigan State. I've been busy coaching my own teams since. It's just hard to get excited when I only see this team winning 3 or 4 games next year and everyone being ok with that because it's Scott Frost driving us further into the ground. It used to ruin peoples entire weekends when we lost. Now it's ah what the hell there's always next year or the next coach or the next QB. No thanks Ill watch casually as I have for the past 2 years. It's just easier that way.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine life without husker football, I still try to arrange my fall Saturdays around game time, wear my husker gear throughout the week, and hope for the best.

If this year doesn’t show a turnaround, I’m not sure what to think. If frost is fired, and if this year is another flop he should be, I hope we find someone who can change things around. I believe if frost isn’t that guy, we will find him.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with Frost, but his ego seems to be pretty inflated. That’s a turn off. I’m not where you are Pennsy, and I hope things improve and you can regain the excitement that husker football brings.

Hang in there, buddy, you’re one of the good guys here...
Thanks. I am trying!

Well said. My fervency nearly disappeared in the last years of Bo. Too many embarrassing moments. With new coaches brought new hope, but it is all fading again. Allowing politics on this board hasn't helped.

I do not like Scott Frost. I was as excited as everyone else when he was hired, but something about him rubs me the wrong way. I cannot put my finger on it but I just don't like the guy. And I also think he is not that great of a coach.
Arrogance.

I think he has to show us he is willing to admit that HE needs to change a bit. He needs to show that his true loyalty is to the program, not his QB, not his staff. Make changes when needed, if they will benefit the program.

I think a lot of fans are feeling it the way you are, Pennsy. I've said this before, and I will say it again, before Devaney showed up, Nebraska football for two decades was about what it should have been, a struggling program that had success in the 20's and 30's but floundered when the 40's began and that kept up until 1962.

Then Bob shows up and the program catches fire and goes on one helluva run for 40 plus years (yes, I include some of the teams in the early 2000's, not that they were great, but had winning records). Bob keeps things rolling by naming Osborne his successor, making the right choice.

What do these teams have in common: Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, Indiana, Kansas, K-State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Ucla, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin? They all have teams that have been successful, but not ONE of them has won a National Title since Bob Devaney showed up in Lincoln. And many more could be mentioned here. That makes the run that Bob and Tom had that much more incredible.

Here's our dilemma, since Devaney and Osborne left, there hasn't been a coach or staff that could fill their shoes, COACHING has been Nebraska's biggest problem of late, and unless a Devaney, Osborne, McCartney, Snyder, (Mack) Brown, Meyer show up in Lincoln, things aren't going to change much. I see Nebraska these days as a program it always should have been, a perennial struggler that somehow got lucky as hell when Bob showed up and rode an incredible wave for so long.

We've been able to witness life without Bob and Tom, and for the most part, it's been ugly, and I for one don't see it getting any better until a HOF type coach steps in and gets it rolling again. Maybe Nebraska already has had its quota of great coaches and going forward we will just have to endure coach after coach who cannot live up to the standards two prior coaches set. I think it's something we all might have to come to terms with, Nebraska football will never be great again, or at least Bob and Tom great.

As for Frost, I want him to turn things around and get it going in a positive direction, but so far he hasn't shown any kind of greatness in the coaching capacity, and if he has another losing season in 2021, it's going to be an ugly place to be for him, very ugly. There's enough talent to have a winning season, hell, there was enough the past two years for that, but he and his staff have a lot to prove this year but I don't see it being any better.

I am never going to be a fair weather fan. I saw my first game in person against Iowa State in 1969. I went to every home game this year, plus the away game at Northwestern (yes, I have a staff member connection who very kindly took care of me). My son- roughly age 30- hasn't missed a home game since 1999 when he had the flu at age 10. We will continue to go to both home and away games as long as we can. I have gone to at least one away game for 40 straight years. I've missed 4 home games in 35 years. 2 due to illness and 2 due to weddings on my wife's side out of state. They don't understand football in St. Louis. I still love the Huskers!

No. I'm and alum, and even though we suck, I still look forward to it every year and hope we finally turn the corner. I admit it does suck always having to answer questions about us ever being good again because I am out of state, but whatever. I've got a ton of pride in my University and that hasn't gone down, but I'm only 36, times may change.

It's just hard to get excited when I only see this team winning 3 or 4 games next year and everyone being ok with that because it's Scott Frost driving us further into the ground. It used to ruin entire peoples entire weekends in the state. Now it's ah what the hell there's always next year.

^^This! I remember a Nebraska loss would ruin my entire weekend!

I remember watching games that were tight or we were losing and I would have food in front of me and my neck would tighten up and I couldn't even eat it.

Around year 2 of Callahan I started getting accustomed to losing. In fact down here in Florida I started getting ridiculed consistently for being a Nebraska fan by Gator, Hurricane and Seminole fans...but still held my head high.

Then Pelini came and I started believing we had a chance to win every game we played so when we lost a game I started taking it badly again. When Riley came I started getting used to losing again.

You know what else happened since? The fans of other schools down here don't even give me a hard time me anymore....in fact alot of em feel bad for me.

I am with ya. Now I have a daughter that plays club soccer and over the last few year I have missed some husker games due travel and conflicts there. That has never bothered me cuz I am gonna pick my kid to watch over everything else. So that has taken away some of the attention that was normally focused on Husker football.

To your other point on Frost, I am right there with you. I don't dislike him, or want to see him fail, but something just doesn't seem to be clicking. Now this season, I can see him being a little lost, due to covid and the loss of his father. That probably had a big affect on him and I am sure he is dealing with a little depression cuz of that.

The game day experience in watching Nebraska is for sure different for me. I decided after Riley's first year that I didn't want to let myself get so emotionally invested. I watch games live when I am available, but just that. This season, now this was a weird year watching with no fans in the stand, I found myself laughing out loud when Nebraska would f@#k up instead of getting mad.

I guess we will see what the future season bring, but man it is just tough watch what I would call bad football week after week.

You get to a point where you have to ask yourself who's the real idiot if you tune in to watch a team you know sucks and then allow yourself to be pissed off all day when they get on the field and suck. What did I expect? Why should I be in a shitty mood half my weekend because a bunch of college kids I'll never meet are bad at a game?

The state of NE will never limit attendance at the games this year but the AD might be wishing they had by mid season...I think a whole lot of empty seats are just around the corner if these guys don't start playing WAY smarter.

It'd be one thing if they were a fun to watch, scrappy little team like Northwestern where they're always punching up and outplaying their own talent level. Instead Nebraska gets pretty decent recruiting then chases off the best of them and gets the least out of the rest of them. It's miserable to watch.

As far as Frost's problem, he's trying to do too much offensively. Those players have shown they're barely capable of long division and he wants to do calculus. He needs to dumb it WAY down and find what they can consistently do well. If that means calling the same 10 plays all year, so be it. Better to force a defense to stop something you do well than hope your own guys don't screw up the "perfect" play call.

We are VERY close to a whole lot of people realizing there are more fun things to do with their time. Young people are there already, if you're under about 30 you have no memory of NU being any good. Start listening for it, you'll hear a lot of people talking about how they don't make the Husker game a priority any more and they find it really nice to not be pissed off that they sat and watch an inexcusable loss for the 40th time.

I think a lot of fans are feeling it the way you are, Pennsy. I've said this before, and I will say it again, before Devaney showed up, Nebraska football for two decades was about what it should have been, a struggling program that had success in the 20's and 30's but floundered when the 40's began and that kept up until 1962.

Then Bob shows up and the program catches fire and goes on one helluva run for 40 plus years (yes, I include some of the teams in the early 2000's, not that they were great, but had winning records). Bob keeps things rolling by naming Osborne his successor, making the right choice.

What do these teams have in common: Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, Indiana, Kansas, K-State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Ucla, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin? They all have teams that have been successful, but not ONE of them has won a National Title since Bob Devaney showed up in Lincoln. And many more could be mentioned here. That makes the run that Bob and Tom had that much more incredible.

Here's our dilemma, since Devaney and Osborne left, there hasn't been a coach or staff that could fill their shoes, COACHING has been Nebraska's biggest problem of late, and unless a Devaney, Osborne, McCartney, Snyder, (Mack) Brown, Meyer show up in Lincoln, things aren't going to change much. I see Nebraska these days as a program it always should have been, a perennial struggler that somehow got lucky as hell when Bob showed up and rode an incredible wave for so long.

We've been able to witness life without Bob and Tom, and for the most part, it's been ugly, and I for one don't see it getting any better until a HOF type coach steps in and gets it rolling again. Maybe Nebraska already has had its quota of great coaches and going forward we will just have to endure coach after coach who cannot live up to the standards two prior coaches set. I think it's something we all might have to come to terms with, Nebraska football will never be great again, or at least Bob and Tom great.

As for Frost, I want him to turn things around and get it going in a positive direction, but so far he hasn't shown any kind of greatness in the coaching capacity, and if he has another losing season in 2021, it's going to be an ugly place to be for him, very ugly. There's enough talent to have a winning season, hell, there was enough the past two years for that, but he and his staff have a lot to prove this year but I don't see it being any better.
I think this nails it. Nebraska is a low population rural State, surrounded by other low population rural States. Not exactly a recruiting hot bed. It is also a State most outsiders would consider boring in its geography and urban life. It also has northern climate weather. Also, UNL is a very mediocre school academically. We absolutely need a HOF type coach to come in here to turn things around like Bob did. I do not think Frost is that coach. I hope he proves me wrong but I highly doubt it. I am not on the fire Frost bandwagon and even if he has another losing season I would not care enough to get on that bandwagon then either. Plus, unless we can find that next "great" coach who would be willing to come here, firing Frost will solve nothing. Better to just double down on the home town boy and see if he can't get it done in five or seven years.

It is just depressing and demoralizing. It has sucked all the air out of my excitement. It is quite sobering when you realize we are a "bottom tier" B1G team, with a program just slightly above that of Rutgers and Maryland. I would say "Illinois" too except they kicked our ass last year. Exactly one week after the great prognosticator Scott Frost had proclaimed "I have no doubt that Luke McCaffrey is the future at QB around here." Lol. It is that kind of bullshit statement that makes me wonder if Frost even knows what the hell he is doing.

I rarely come to this board for Husker talk. I have lost a lot of interest in what's going on with the program but you can guarantee when fall gets here it will come back so I can be let down again. I'm not sure I could name one recruit from the class we just signed. It's only going to get worse. Viewership for sports in general is down and putting a poor product out on the field for 20 years isn't going to entice a bunch of kids. How do you convince your kids watching a team that struggles to win 5 games in football or basketball is worth watching?

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
You get to a point where you have to ask yourself who's the real idiot if you tune in to watch a team you know sucks and then allow yourself to be pissed off all day when they get on the field and suck. What did I expect? Why should I be in a shitty mood half my weekend because a bunch of college kids I'll never meet are bad at a game?

The state of NE will never limit attendance at the games this year but the AD might be wishing they had by mid season...I think a whole lot of empty seats are just around the corner if these guys don't start playing WAY smarter.

It'd be one thing if they were a fun to watch, scrappy little team like Northwestern where they're always punching up and outplaying their own talent level. Instead Nebraska gets pretty decent recruiting then chases off the best of them and gets the least out of the rest of them. It's miserable to watch.

As far as Frost's problem, he's trying to do too much offensively. Those players have shown they're barely capable of long division and he wants to do calculus. He needs to dumb it WAY down and find what they can consistently do well. If that means calling the same 10 plays all year, so be it. Better to force a defense to stop something you do well than hope your own guys don't screw up the "perfect" play call.

We are VERY close to a whole lot of people realizing there are more fun things to do with their time. Young people are there already, if you're under about 30 you have no memory of NU being any good. Start listening for it, you'll hear a lot of people talking about how they don't make the Husker game a priority any more and they find it really nice to not be pissed off that they sat and watch an inexcusable loss for the 40th time.
Yep. I agree with all of this. The problem is they are just not fun to watch. They make mistake after mistake and the play calling is atrocious. There are also no second half adjustments which is why I wonder what kind of staff Frost has? We routinely get our asses kicked in the third quarter. We will indeed see the sellout streak "officially" end very, very soon if they keep laying turds all over the field. It is one thing to lose while playing tough and smart. It is another thing to get blown out in the trenches by Illinois or to lose because of penalties, fumbles, and horrible special teams.

well, i surely feel petulant and spoiled about the pelini years.
id take back those 9-10 wins in a f*cking heartbeat.
i used to say, 'i'm not leaving', but now it feels like, 'well, i'll be around.'
i'd just feel fair-weathered if i completely bailed.
im always hopeful that anything can turn around...thats just me.

I'm still a huge fan, never miss a game.

I just now expect the worst instead of the best.

Same here. The "I find better things to do" thing is weird, fans will be like "I went for a walk" or "I raked the backyard"

You can do that on Sunday.

I totally understand weddings and family stuff that comes up, that is fine. But to actively look for other things to do??

The times we go to Lincoln from Omaha for a day of Husker football is so much fun. A group of us gathering in the morning to BS a bit and drink a brew, hoppinging in the car (with road drinks of course) and making jokes, talking about life, memories, ripping on each other, starting to ask which exit we should take and then finally getting to Lincoln and seeing a ton of people around setting up tailgate, walking around, bars open, and it is only 9am.

Hitting up Sandy's for Elk Creek that you swear "doesn't do anything" until you stand up, hitting another bar on O street that brings back memories. Hearing a "Goooooo big red" chant starting.

Deciding which bar we will watch the game at, almost always at Barry's, checking out college girls and of course saying "Okay, they NEVER dressed like that when we were down here for school"

Watching the game, cheering with other fans, high fives with strangers and more drinks...wondering if we should change venues at halftime but almost always staying.

Then after the game grabbing a few more drinks and stopping for some Lazaris (RIP) on O street, maybe walking into the Rail for a minute.

Heading home and listening to some Big Red Overreaction show and hoping to find a shooter that you left in the car...getting home and relaxing.

The game is the reason for all of this to happen. The only thing close to this is golfing with your friends.

If you just watch the game, alone, I guess then I understand if you are not into that much anymore.

But for me, it is about the fun. Hell, I even love the planning that starts on Wednesday or Thursday.

Yep. I agree with all of this. The problem is they are just not fun to watch. They make mistake after mistake and the play calling is atrocious. There are also no second half adjustments which is why I wonder what kind of staff Frost has? We routinely get our asses kicked in the third quarter. We will indeed see the sellout streak "officially" end very, very soon if they keep laying turds all over the field. It is one thing to lose while playing tough and smart. It is another thing to get blown out in the trenches by Illinois or to lose because of penalties, fumbles, and horrible special teams.
I wonder sometimes if trying to play as fast as possible on offense leads to mistakes, such as off-sides penalties and blown blocks. We have had more than our share of those mistakes. Maybe it's time to slow things down a little bit.

Same here. The "I find better things to do" thing is weird, fans will be like "I went for a walk" or "I raked the backyard"

You can do that on Sunday.

I totally understand weddings and family stuff that comes up, that is fine. But to actively look for other things to do??

The times we go to Lincoln from Omaha for a day of Husker football is so much fun. A group of us gathering in the morning to BS a bit and drink a brew, hoppinging in the car (with road drinks of course) and making jokes, talking about life, memories, ripping on each other, starting to ask which exit we should take and then finally getting to Lincoln and seeing a ton of people around setting up tailgate, walking around, bars open, and it is only 9am.

Hitting up Sandy's for Elk Creek that you swear "doesn't do anything" until you stand up, hitting another bar on O street that brings back memories. Hearing a "Goooooo big red" chant starting.

Deciding which bar we will watch the game at, almost always at Barry's, checking out college girls and of course saying "Okay, they NEVER dressed like that when we were down here for school"

Watching the game, cheering with other fans, high fives with strangers and more drinks...wondering if we should change venues at halftime but almost always staying.

Then after the game grabbing a few more drinks and stopping for some Lazaris (RIP) on O street, maybe walking into the Rail for a minute.

Heading home and listening to some Big Red Overreaction show and hoping to find a shooter that you left in the car...getting home and relaxing.

The game is the reason for all of this to happen. The only thing close to this is golfing with your friends.

If you just watch the game, alone, I guess then I understand if you are not into that much anymore.

But for me, it is about the fun. Hell, I even love the planning that starts on Wednesday or Thursday.
I spent 1/2 of my sister's wedding reception in the kitchen watching NU beat ILL on a tiny TV in the corner with a few family members while the staff bustled about all around us 3 years ago, running updates back to my old man while he prepped his speech.

Nebraska football is who we all are, like it or not.

Pennsy, you are not alone! I grew up in Nebraska and started following them in the late 60's. A buddy and I attended many freshmen games on Fridays and then varsity on Saturdays. When we all got married, we arranged our weekends around games, mostly going up on the hill south of McCook by the big cottonwood to listen to games.

Aside from a 5 year stint in GI, I have lived most of my adult life in KS and everyone knew I was a die hard Nebraska fan. There was never a doubt. I even wore my Nebraska ties when I was teaching. People would pull all sorts of pranks on me when they lost especially when they were in the Big 12 with K-State, OSU and OU. I had a running bet every year with a guy in Goodland when OU and NU played. I lost more than I won in those days but still have that first dollar I won from Rudy!

Fast forward to current times and the excitement is not there. I have coached some and been around tons of HS and small college ball. I know good football when I see it and I haven't seen much of late to get me excited. This staff is in way over their heads and are short on answers. My wife laments how it ruined our weekend if Nebraska lost and I would cancel eating out, I was just to upset. And some on here think I am not a true Husker fan! Ha. What I am a fan of is winning and getting the most of our the players. That is not happening.

I grow weary of reading all the crap about needing linemen who are 6'9" and 300lbs and all the fancy blocking they do in this O. What hogwash. Everyone does the same blocks, its not like Nebraska plays a different game and the development of players is severely lacking is about all I will say.

I was working on some cabinet doors this fall at a friends shop. We had agreed to start early the morning of the Minnesota game and knock off so I could come home for the start of the game. We got to going and were close to finishing and my wife called to tell me how the game was going. She said they looked terrible and couldn't do anything right. I got home at halftime and it didn't bother me. It used to be I watched every second, watched replays over and over and even charted plays. No more., it simply is NOT a good product.

As for Frost, he may be the answer but he has so much to learn. Tom was a remarkable man that built a program so powerful, there is almost no room for failure or comparison. Well, we have now wandered in the wilderness for 20 years and most have truly forgotten how great those teams were. Many are ready to settle for a winning record and post crap all day about how young we are, our recruiting, and all the great articles but they fail to see the details of a winning program. Maybe Frost will learn and grow and maybe not. Another year of this and he is going to have to make some changes, maybe his own.

Arrogance.

I think he has to show us he is willing to admit that HE needs to change a bit. He needs to show that his true loyalty is to the program, not his QB, not his staff. Make changes when needed, if they will benefit the program.

It's not just loyalty to the Program but loyalty to Winning! Saban is loyal to winning and will make changes on the drop of the hat to increase his odds of winning. He is obsessed with getting his program prepared to win. Alabama took a huge risk with his long term high priced salary contract when they hired him but it was worth every penny. Nebraska needs to act like a professional program, not little boy ball with below average Sun Belt staff.

I’m with the for the long haul, I was never in favor of Tom passing it on to frank but I stayed even after the beat down at Colorado pretty much we knew frank wasn’t the guy he couldn’t recruit at the level Tom did. The we get clownahan hated the hire from day one but I still followed who can ever forget the humiliation of the 77-10 ass kicken from tex tech. I was actually in favor of bo getting the job I thought young guy with some fire he had talent on the roster when he took over but things deteriorated between Carl and Marvin and other off field activities and he couldn’t recruit he hated it, pretty soon he was a embarrassment to the football team and school with his sideline outbursts but he did win games but couldn’t compete with the big dogs usually in a embarrassing loss then omg we get mike freaking Riley at his hiring most fans are saying who? He supposedly was a good recruiter got all these supposed 4 star kids but in Reality it was only on paper or was some recruiting experts said and I believe that what put frost behind the 8 ball, now I haven’t fig out if frost is in over his head or to arrogant to change up things or has second rate assistants or a combination of all I listed but Ill be following them if frost turns the corner great if he doesn’t then it’s back to the drawing board. My enthusiasm has definitely went down over the years but Im addicted come game time I watch or listen to the radio pulling for the big red

My problem (one of many) is slightly different. I care too much. It isn't fun to watch them lose, because I get so upset about it. If I refuse to watch the game, then I won't spend the rest of the weekend being an asshole to everybody.

Fans want a quick fix, but there isn't one. College football is big money now, so there are 130 other programs throwing piles of money and fighting for every single recruit. Nebraska doesn't have the legendary coach, winning tradition, or unique offensive style that used to give it an advantage. And I don't see that changing.

Nebraska needs to act like a professional program, not little boy ball with below average Sun Belt staff.

I know I take a lot of heat for posting facts that some believe paint this staff in a poor light but even I would say the below average sun belt staff reference is a low blow

this staff is 1-1 against sun belt teams which clearly pegs them as an average sun belt staff - the below average comment is completely unfair and is born out of frustration with the historic losing

Last edited:
[QUOTE="JohnRossEwing, post: 6671526, member: 14974"
" ........The times we go to Lincoln from Omaha for a day of Husker football is so much fun. A group of us gathering in the morning to BS a bit and drink a brew, hoppinging in the car (with road drinks of course) .....finally getting to Lincoln and seeing a ton of people around setting up tailgate, walking around, bars open, and it is only 9am........... hitting another bar on O street that brings back memories.....Watching the game, cheering with other fans, high fives with strangers and more drinks. ........Then after the game grabbing a few more drinks and stopping for some Lazaris (RIP) on O street, maybe walking into the Rail for a minute........Heading home and listening to some Big Red Overreaction show and hoping to find a shooter that you left in the car..."

health-beauty-black_market-organ-organ_donor-organ_market-liver_transplant-forn3539_low.jpg

Very understandable, this program has been a mess for while. I'm not really sure when it changed, I was old enough during the 90's to realize how great they were but I don't think I was old enough to really follow anything besides from the rankings and results. The first time to me things seemed to really change and Nebraska wasn't what I was used to seeing was when they lost 62-36 after beating Oklahoma. Since that point every time Nebraska plays a big game I expect them to lose which is a terrible mindset to have but I can't recall many wins from that point where I thought Nebraska was an elite school.

For a while it seemed like any time they had a big game or big opportunity in front of them they would lose, and lose in an embarrassing fashion and that really wears a person down. Giving up 70, or not being able to force a team to punt, kicking the ball backwards and just throwing up all over yourself when things start going right can really ruin a weekend and it's been that way for almost two decades minus a couple seasons. I get not being able to beat the Ohio States and teams like that but now it's gotten to the point where being respectable and covering a 30 point spread is a moral victory.

Whether Frost is the guy or not I don't know, I was pumped about the hiring and still think he can be the guy but the press conferences after losses where he says the same thing, the childish excuses and lack of execution on the simple things makes me wonder if he is the guy or not. With all that said last year against Wisconsin was my first game, and first time I've been to Lincoln since being born there in the 80's and despite the loss it was the greatest sporting experience of my life. NDSU brags about there tailgate and Saturday experience and that's because they don't know what a real gameday experience is like I learned. I'm more invested than I ever have been but I completely get being over what has transpired the past few years.

My interest in Husker football started to wane at the same time my interest in real world events started to rise. Does the fact that our team has been a huge disappointment for the better part of 20 years play into that? I don't think so, but I can't say for sure. What I've come to realize is that there are far more important things in life for me to focus on than sports.

I hear ya. I go back not as far but started following as a youngster in the mid 80’s.

I’ve reserved myself to the fact we now have a JV Offensive staff trying to compete in a big boy league. I don’t think Husker football will return to the consistent level of success of the ‘90s but would hope that they are one of the top 3 teams in the West contending for a chance to play in the BIG-10 on a regular basis. I would hope our Offense can be taken seriously again rather than look like a comedy of errors out there.

The Offense which was a big sell bringing Frost here, has been a massive disappointment. The biggest surprise has been the Defense but ultimately this D is not geared to be the lockdown type but rather the type to keep the team in the game and let the Offense score points. That has been the killer.

I know it’s hard to get excited anymore after all the damage has been done over 20 years but every coach after Osborne fired was justified. Some won at a high rate but didn’t win the games that mattered.

The only real scenario right now is to let Frost and the Offensive staff learn on the job and hope they can get to a point of respectability. If they continue to have losing seasons then there will be no question a firing is justifiable and the experiment failed.

ADVERTISEMENT