ADVERTISEMENT

A ban on new gas-powered cars by 2035

How are they going to charge all of those electric cars without having more brown outs? How are companies that need large pickup trucks supposed to haul their bobcats and trenchers?

It's just political theater (virtue signaling). It's not practical for many reasons, but that's not the point. It sends a signal to his voters that he's serious about "curbing emissions", and they'll eat it up. They always do. So long as it sounds good. The actual results matter little.

Hilarious. So anyone owning an ICE car by 2035 cannot drive it, or maybe more taxes from them will help the situation.

Reactions: solarpanels
Reactions: cornhustler
One thing I wish my dems understood is a little quiet pressure, and continued education towards intelligent people will change the market. Nearly all coal power plants have been shut down and replaced over the past ten years with renewables because continued investment in wind and solar has made them incredibly cheap...much cheaper than coal, even without the doomed carbon tax. The only car manufacturer having a positive 2020 is Tesla and their brand of electric cars, and this is in a presumed world where Trump or his ilk will be president for the next 20 years. The world is changing because a mass majority of people are decent, open minded to science and technology, and aware of the damage that pollution can cause. America has already gone through multiple waves of environmentalism, there is always a bunch of detractors, but more people who recognize a health planet means a healthy economy and healthy humanity. We easily could be facing a world without any natural reserves, with rivers that catch on fire regularly, no ozone layer...humans used litigation, regulation, but more importantly awareness and education to remediate these past issues. You won't have anything taken away, it just won't be available and something better will replace it. Like the fact the Nebraska gets 40% of its energy from renewables. Nobody lost energy, the grid is better than ever, and energy still cheap...you just don't get it from carbon based fuel as much as the past.

Last edited:
One thing I wish my dems understood is a little quiet pressure, and continued education towards intelligent people will change the market. Nearly all coal power plants have been shut down and replaced over the past ten years with renewables because continued investment in wind and solar has made them incredibly cheap...much cheaper than coal, even without the doomed carbon tax. The only car manufacturer having a positive 2020 is Tesla and their brand of electric cars, and this is in a presumed world where Trump or his ilk will be president for the next 20 years. The world is changing because a mass majority of people are decent, open minded to science and technology, and aware of the damage that pollution can cause. America has already gone through multiple waves of environmentalism, there is always a bunch of detractors, but more people who recognize a health planet means a healthy economy and healthy humanity. We easily could be facing a world without any natural reserves, with rivers that catch on fire regularly, no ozone layer...humans used litigation, regulation, but more importantly awareness and education to remediate these past issues. You won't have anything taken away, it just won't be available and something better will replace it. Like the fact the Nebraska gets 40% of its energy from renewables. Nobody lost energy, the grid is better than ever, and energy still cheap...you just don't get it from carbon based fuel as much as the past.
How much cheaper than coal or natural gas without being subsidized?

Reactions: huntered
I've always wondered the same. You still have to plug in the car, guess where that electricity comes from!

The majority comes from burning fossil fuels. Then nuclear.

It would be sweet to have all solar and wind powered energy. Hopefully we get there.

But, like the extensive electric blackouts in CA demonstrate, we aren't anywhere close to satisfying today's electric needs without burning natural gas and coal much less tomorrow's huge increases needed for autos and trucks.

Hello Kettle, Hello Pot...

While an electric car may not require gas, the chances are that it still might need energy produced by burning carbon. Depending on how your local grid is generating electricity, your electric car could be just as harmful to your environment as would any other vehicle.

if you are based in Midwest or Southern regions of the United States where carbon based fuels are used to produce electricity, your electric car would be promoting a higher level of CARBON DIOXIDE in our environment than would say a hybrid car. This information applies to the rest of the world, just as much as it applies to the United States.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Why not let the consumer decide? If private producers of electricity can bring it to the marketplace and be competitive with combustible energy drivers, then I say perfect. But don't tell me I have to stop driving my truck just because someone makes a policy mandate. Plus, I would add that anyone who is calling for this change better already be driving a tesla

Reactions: Sinomatic
No, no, no... it’s all about the Flux Capacitor man. To the future Marty !!
9826c767-8983-4654-8e91-d649e685dc88_text.gif

propaganda all is phony

How are they going to charge all of those electric cars without having more brown outs? How are companies that need large pickup trucks supposed to haul their bobcats and trenchers?
15 years is a long time to figure that out. We probably need to beef up our electric grid anyway for national security reasons. Electric cars are a good excuse to do that.

Nebraska does not get 40% of their energy from renewables. Its less than 23%. Over half comes from coal, the majority of which comes from GGS. Nuclear power accounts for around 20% and would be higher if OPPD could have gotten their crap together a few years ago but Brownville is still burning and turning. Weird how like half the state is powered by one generating station out by North Platte and the skies are as clear as day. No noticeable pollution.

Last edited:
15 years is a long time to figure that out. We probably need to beef up our electric grid anyway for national security reasons. Electric cars are a good excuse to do that.
We've been hearing this crap for decades and it's just a scare tactic. Our "electric grid" is constantly being upgraded based on demand. Does anybody really know what "the grid" entails? I do, because I work in that industry. Its just like when they say our roads and bridges are crumbling. No, they aren't. We can maintain them better but nothing is crumbling outside of a couple of bridges that were not appropriately engineered.

Coal has been replaced by natural gas. Wind and solar have gotten much cheaper, but still not any cheaper than coal in most instances. It's cheaper natural gas that started the downfall of coal.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Why not let the consumer decide? If private producers of electricity can bring it to the marketplace and be competitive with combustible energy drivers, then I say perfect. But don't tell me I have to stop driving my truck just because someone makes a policy mandate. Plus, I would add that anyone who is calling for this change better already be driving a tesla
No one said you have to stop driving your truck. The topic is about a ban on NEW gas-powered cars by 2035. By that point, new electric cars will likely already be outselling gas-powered cars anyway.

as soon as environmentalists are willing to dam up the Platte/Elkhorn and put in another generating station I will listen to their complaints about needing more renewable energy. Until then, they can breathe the clean air that comes from 75% of our electricity coming from coal, gas, diesel, and nuclear plants. Last I checked, nobody was suffocating from the pollution.

It's called battery technology isnt sufficient; neither are the places you can recharge them. And they take much longer than filling up a tank. The combustion engine is still needed. Batteries arent their yet. Either are any renewable resources ready to be the primary means of power.
It was sarcasm

Based on the reactions this got, I didn't even realize this was for California. Considering the air quality issues they have, this might make a lot of sense for California. They already have a lot of regulations set up to support electric vehicles. It might not make as much sense for the rest of the country, and I wouldn't support a similar proposal nationwide or in this state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT