ADVERTISEMENT

A 5 loss season?

I don't think anyone can argue that at this point in time.

Unfortunately I could see more losses if the opposing teams decide to do quick passes like Ark St was doing.

I was hoping that the D was just playing very vanilla in order to hide things for Oregon. I don't think it matters what they were hiding because Oregon will probably put up 70 next week as it doesn't look like we can stop the pass at all.

Here's hoping we can put up 75 on O to have a chance to win...

Best case scenario is that we are better than we showed in our first game. It was the first game under the new D, so there's obviously a chance we will be better. I sure hope so because I want to see a good season. Our CB youth just scares me at this point.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
All things and records are up for debate. Vegas oddsmakers put the season win total at 7 for a reason.

Let's see how the team grows throughout the season.

If they get drilled by Oregon, 5 or 6 losses are in play. If they play close or even sneak out a win, perspectives could change dramatically.

Remember, the Penn State coach went from being on the hot seat a few games into the season last year to getting a huge raise and extension.

Ark St didn't try to run much, so I hope we don't suck against the good running teams too. That would make for a long season.

I think we can still win a lot of games, but not if the D doesn't have some better performances. Probably a good thing Diaco didn't take the mic last night... we might have seen his bad side with the type of questions our reporters would have asked.

Last edited:
All things and records are up for debate. Vegas oddsmakers put the season win total at 7 for a reason.

If they get drilled by Oregon, 5 or 6 losses are in play. If they play close or even sneak out a win, perspectives could change dramatically.

Remember, the Penn State coach went from being on the hot seat a few games into the season last year to getting a huge raise and extension.

After last night's performance, we need a big jump from week 1 to week 2. Can we do it? Yes we can. I sure hope we do.

Will it happen though? We'll have to wait and see.

Is it too early for next week's prediction?
NU - 55-65
OU - 62-70

I think the O has good potential and I loved seeing Tre Bryant run the ball. It did seem like we ran the same couple plays over and over and it kept working. Bryant looked tired. If he plans on getting as many touches every game, he better start running more wind sprints in practice! :)

A 7 pt win to Ark State, pitiful Defense.
Losses
Oregon
Wisconsin
OSU
PSU
Iowa

I think I predicted 11-2.

That is still possible (even is very much unlikely).

Maybe not lilely, but that was just our first game. There were quite a few teams that had first game (or at least first half) issues that need fixed. Luckily we came out on the right side. I was picturing another BYU finish during that last drive.

Remember, Iowa lost to NDSU and still won 8 games. Wisconsin was 7-5 and playing their 3rd string QB in the 2012 CCG. I think we have the offense to give us a chance in almost every game. All we need is a decent defense and I think 9 win is a very good possibility. We're not the only team that struggled yesterday. Remember Frost getting booed in 1997? I'll wait and see what adjustments are made during the week before throwing in the towel.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Yes, but last nights struggle had nothing to do with that opinion. We need a serious influx of talent.

Reactions: Dominator4321
Yes, but last nights struggle had nothing to do with that opinion. We need a serious influx of talent.
Oh good lord are you now saying Arkansas state is more talented. This is absurd. The way this game went is squarely on the coaches not talent.

If the defense does not get significantly better there is no game on the schedule that we could not lose. Yes that means an 8 or 9 loss season. Will that happen I hope not but it could

5 losses won't surprise me. We've seen many games like this one in the past 15 years. We convince ourselves that it's growing pains, first game jitters, the opponent is better than they're being given credit for, or any one of many other wishful-thinking excuses. The reality is that games like these have been harbingers of things to come far too often.

Oh good lord are you now saying Arkansas state is more talented. This is absurd. The way this game went is squarely on the coaches not talent.

If the defense does not get significantly better there is no game on the schedule that we could not lose. Yes that means an 8 or 9 loss season. Will that happen I hope not but it could

Who in the hell said Arkansas state is more talented? The thread about losing 5 games this season, which we will likely do.....because of a lack of overall talent.

There were several players that were transfers from SEC and BigXII teams. Defense is lacking in talent and needs experience. NO BIG PLAYS last night and everything was kept in front of them with a few broken tackles. Diaco's defenses are known for bend don't break philosophy.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
If our defense from last night shows up for any of the remaining games then they could end up with a loss.

[/QUOTE]
After last night's performance, we need a big jump from week 1 to week 2. Can we do it? Yes we can. I sure hope we do.

Will it happen though? We'll have to wait and see.

Is it too early for next week's prediction?
NU - 55-65
OU - 62-70

No way we score 55+ on the road at Oregon. We didn't get close to that at home against Arky state. Have to hope Oregon can't make 55.

No way we score 55+ on the road at Oregon. We didn't get close to that at home against Arky state. Have to hope Oregon can't make 55.[/QUOTE]

Oregon had a far, far worse defense (one of the worse in the nation) than we did last year. They have a new DC (an entire new coaching staff) and are changing schemes from a 4 man front to a 3 man front. There is absolutely no reason why the Oregon defense should outperform ours.

If our personnel is so poorly matched to making the switch to a 3-4 that it is going to result in a major step back for the program and requires 2-3 years of recruiting to fit this system then the decision is switch to a 3-4 was markedly ill advised and one would have to wonder about the future of the person responsible for this decision. There are numerous programs that compete at a very high level running a 4-3. There are strengths and weaknesses to both schemes. If the decision to change to a 3-4 results in a tanked season with an expected 2-3 year time frame to get up to speed then it was a career ending decision. Have to think things get figured out this year.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Everyone needs to take a Xanax and relax. It's one game. Relax. Changes will be made. We aren't going to run a vanilla type system all year. How many blitzes did we actually run yesterday? How many press coverages did we actually implement? Give it some time.

Everyone needs to take a Xanax and relax. It's one game. Relax. Changes will be made. We aren't going to run a vanilla type system all year. How many blitzes did we actually run yesterday? How many press coverages did we actually implement? Give it some time.

Our head coach has 15+ years of major football head coaching experience. Our defensive coordinator is very experienced and pulling in 800k. If they are willing to be "vanilla" to the point where the opposing team is on the 11 yard line with 10 seconds left in the game with a chance to tie or win with a TD then they shouldn't be coaching.

Our head coach has 15+ years of major football head coaching experience. Our defensive coordinator is very experienced and pulling in 800k. If they are willing to be "vanilla" to the point where the opposing team is on the 11 yard line with 10 seconds left in the game with a chance to tie or win with a TD then they shouldn't be coaching.

I think the vanilla, they're better than you think, their QB is the best we'll see, etc. comments are nothing more than trying to sugar coat the situation. The defense was just flat out bad. I don't have as many problems with the line as others do because they were getting rid of the ball very quickly all night but the rest of the defense short of the deep coverage left a lot to be desired.

Okay Mr. Armchair QB, step away from the ledge. They are not and were not perfect at game management, I agree. Saying that they shouldn't be coaching because of stupid, fixable errors and scheme is a stretch. Once again, relax. It easy to freak out after one game, especially the opener. If we come out and win next week you'll be singing a different tune. If we get smoked and have similar issues then we can revisit this. Arkansas State was not a push over team.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Okay Mr. Armchair QB, step away from the ledge. They are not and were not perfect at game management, I agree. Saying that they shouldn't be coaching because of stupid, fixable errors and scheme is a stretch. Once again, relax. It easy to freak out after one game, especially the opener. If we come out and win next week you'll be singing a different tune. If we get smoked and have similar issues then we can revisit this. Arkansas State was not a push over team.

My comments about the coaches were IF they were playing vanilla. I don't think they were. They were trying to put this team away to get some other players some playing time and couldn't. Only an idiot would play "vanilla" to the point of almost losing the game or even to the point where an onside kick recovery gives the opposing team a chance to win

My comments about the coaches were IF they were playing vanilla. I don't think they were. They were trying to put this team away to get some other players some playing time and couldn't. Only an idiot would play "vanilla" to the point of almost losing the game or even to the point where an onside kick recovery gives the opposing team a chance to win

I can't disagree with the idiot part on putting a game at risk for vanilla play. However, I can see a point of arrogance that can do this. Diaco doesn't lack confidence whatsoever. In my opinion, he was confident we would win and had the arrogance to continue that style of play we put up, regardless of how many points were being scored. It's multifactorial. If we have good time management then they don't have the opportunity to tie, if our hands team doesn't mess up they don't recover the onside kick, if we don't rough the passer they don't score a TD, if we don't miss a block there is no safety. Many self-imposed errors also lead to the game being as close as it was.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

but when it keeps happening over and over and over, do you ever ask yourself, 'what the f are these guys doing'?

Last edited:
I can't disagree with the idiot part on putting a game at risk for vanilla play. However, I can see a point of arrogance that can do this. Diaco doesn't lack confidence whatsoever. In my opinion, he was confident we would win and had the arrogance to continue that style of play we put up, regardless of how many points were being scored. It's multifactorial. If we have good time management then they don't have the opportunity to tie, if our hands team doesn't mess up they don't recover the onside kick, if we don't rough the passer they don't score a TD, if we don't miss a block there is no safety. Many self-imposed errors also lead to the game being as close as it was.

You are assuming Ark state played a clean game and the tight game was all a result of our miscues. They had 2 turnovers to our none and the penalties were about even (they had one more penalty and we had 12 more yards). They had a hold in the end zone for a safety. Thank goodness their self-imposed errors (playing on the road at night in front of 90k) were equal to ours.

5 losses won't surprise me. We've seen many games like this one in the past 15 years. We convince ourselves that it's growing pains, first game jitters, the opponent is better than they're being given credit for, or any one of many other wishful-thinking excuses. The reality is that games like these have been harbingers of things to come far too often.
Reality

You are assuming Ark state played a clean game and the tight game was all a result of our miscues. They had 2 turnovers to our none and the penalties were about even (they had one more penalty and we had 12 more yards). They had a hold in the end zone for a safety. Thank goodness their self-imposed errors (playing on the road at night in front of 90k) were equal to ours.

I did't say anywhere that they played a clean game. They helped us out as well. They seemed to capitalize more on our errors more so than we did theirs. They were far from perfect as well.

Id like to think more press coverages would have at least stopped some of the bubble screens. Hansen didnt look comfortable the few times he was pressured. Its hard to say how effective more blitzes would have been but we all got to see how effective the 2 high shell was against their quick passing game.

Franklin was another 2 years away from being on the hot seat. Another press false narrative but whatever. Drink don't think.

I agree ASU was no push over team. But the d was in base personnel for 80 of 89 plays and they stayed in the 2 high shell most of the game. ASU was taking what we gave them with the quick throws all night and they nearly won because of it. So my question is why didnt that get fixed early on? If was to not show Oregon what we were going to do that was almost a huge mistake.

A 7 pt win to Ark State, pitiful Defense.
Losses
Oregon
Wisconsin
OSU
PSU
Iowa
Even if it improves as the season goes along, I don't like our chances against teams that run better spread offenses than Arkansas State-- Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State. But I think it will match up well against Wisconsin and Iowa, and we get both those teams at home.

Offensively, I liked the running attack. I think the threat of the deep ball will keep teams honest and allow us to have some success on the ground all year long. If Cav's boys can at least play even with Wiscy and Iowa up front, I think we at least get a split in those two games.

The excuse machine is still well-oiled and fully operational around here.
Saturday was piss poor coaching, planning and game management, period. Missed tackles, new defenders, schemes etc. happen to every team first game, they are not the reason a sun belt team almost beats us.

As you said above, Oregon is changing coaches and scheme after a 4 win season.
People around here expect them to be ready and will call them a great team, while we need more time and "what did you expect its a new coach and scheme!!? Bloner!"
Frankly I expect to win next week. I disagree with the vanilla plan and comments, but for the sake of our season I hope people are right and we come out firing next week and win the game, you know, like we did last year.
I also find the "we need more talent" excuse flawed. Yes we need more to win a B1G title, but not to beat ark state by 17. If our staff cant maximize what we have and can only field an improving team with 5 stars, then what seperates them from other coaches?

The excuse machine is still well-oiled and fully operational around here.
Saturday was piss poor coaching, planning and game management, period. Missed tackles, new defenders, schemes etc. happen to every team first game, they are not the reason a sun belt team almost beats us.

As you said above, Oregon is changing coaches and scheme after a 4 win season.
People around here expect them to be ready and will call them a great team, while we need more time and "what did you expect its a new coach and scheme!!? Bloner!"
Frankly I expect to win next week. I disagree with the vanilla plan and comments, but for the sake of our season I hope people are right and we come out firing next week and win the game, you know, like we did last year.
I also find the "we need more talent" excuse flawed. Yes we need more to win a B1G title, but not to beat ark state by 17. If our staff cant maximize what we have and can only field an improving team with 5 stars, then what seperates them from other coaches?
We have enough talent to win the division. We likely won't though.

Not to butt in, but do you guys miss the Big 12 at all? Know you are getting the big bucks, so there is that. But Texas had been in the crapper for years. Baylor on life support. So it's usually an OSU-OU smackdown. And you guys did pretty well over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT