ADVERTISEMENT

'94 & '95 Orange Bowls Airing Tonight

In addition to some of the "creative" calls by the officials, I'll always remember Crazy Uncle Bobby kicking the go-ahead FG with 20 seconds left instead of running the clock down. If Bennett hits the game-winner, Bowden would have been blistered for that.

That game hurt, but it really fueled the run that followed.

Should’ve been a Natty for Osborne. Imagine keeping the others and adding that one on the front end to the hardware cabinet.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
This.

And too bad he only played the second half against FSU.
He had been suspended for that game after he (according to one of his teammates I spoke to) got roughed up in practice by some unnamed d-lineman. LP sought the guy out in the locker room and apparently beat the crap out of him in the shower. He was suspended for the game. Calvin Jones got hurt in the first half and the running game was largely ineffective. At halftime, TO had a team meeting and put it to a vote. It had to be unanimous. Does LP play? You know the rest. He did.

He had been suspended for that game after he (according to one of his teammates I spoke to) got roughed up in practice by some unnamed d-lineman. LP sought the guy out in the locker room and apparently beat the crap out of him in the shower. He was suspended for the game. Calvin Jones got hurt in the first half and the running game was largely ineffective. At halftime, TO had a team meeting and put it to a vote. It had to be unanimous. Does LP play? You know the rest. He did.
I had heard a rumor to that effect but never knew if it was true.

I love when teams go 5 wide against us from their own 2 yard line in national title games

Reactions: TFrazier
That 2 pt conversion pass caught Alford instead of vice versa.

Tommie’s 25 yard gain on 3rd and 3 - that was the moment you felt like it was in the bag.

Tommie’s 25 yard gain on 3rd and 3 - that was the moment you felt like it was in the bag.

Not with our kicking situation at the time. I wonder who they would have gone to for a 40 yarder. I remember at the time wanting erstad. Just seemed better able to handle the moment.

God I love that the winning TD is running right at Sapp as he vacates his gap.

Reactions: TFrazier
Not with our kicking situation at the time. I wonder who they would have gone to for a 40 yarder. I remember at the time wanting erstad. Just seemed better able to handle the moment.
Yeah but Miami’s D had to get off the field on that 3rd down. When they didn’t, they looked defeated.

Wiegert talking with Trev after the winning score on the sideline.

So much to take in from this game. 9.5 mins left, miami way backed up again, and we had our 2nd team DL in there (pesterfield and townsend). Takes a lot of confidence in those guys to do that.

I used to know a guy from philly that had known frank costa his whole life. Costa told him he didnt get out of bed for 3 days after the game because he had been beat up so badly.

I watched the FSU game and recorded the Miami game to revisit later.
Re-living the sour taste of the FSU game hurt, but it was still a great game. Lot of chances to make it go the other way.
Refs were awful, but even Neb. got a few calls their way. But ultimately, it was the penalties and the team just not getting the job done.

Seeing how quick the defense got off at the snap was impressive. Alberts had 15 sacks that year. They may have had 5+ against FSU and couple chances for more while FSU only gave up 10 the entire season before that.

Final thought- it was cool seeing Clester Johnson and Toby Wright (who was everywhere in that game- I felt bad the last drive penalty was on him).
Two legacy kids we could potentially have playing together here soon. Hopefully it’s a sign of cycling back to what once was- high caliber football.

Last edited:
prior to '95, Coach Osborne had a .381 winning percentage(!) in bowl games over his first 22 years, including an 0-7 stretch that victory over miami broke.

perspective everything, and a reason I really appreciate guys like @scarletred and others' big picture posts. we shouldn't take for granted the amount of hard work and heartbreak that it took to finally get to the top of the mountain.

prior to '95, Coach Osborne had a .381 winning percentage(!) in bowl games over his first 22 years, including an 0-7 stretch that victory over miami broke.

perspective everything, and a reason I really appreciate guys like @scarletred and others' big picture posts. we shouldn't take for granted the amount of hard work and heartbreak that it took to finally get to the top of the mountain.

Patience is hard to come by these days. And it’s going to take some stability, which hopefully we have now.

This year, next year and maybe year after are so important to keep up recruiting momentum. Otherwise it’s going to get real tough. Not sure we can ever bounce back if we start to really struggle bringing players in.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I watched the FSU game and recorded the Miami game to revisit later.
Re-living the sour taste of the FSU game hurt, but it was still a great game. Lot of chances to make it go the other way.
Refs were awful, but even Neb. got a few calls their way. But ultimately, it was the penalties and the team just not getting the job done.

Seeing how quick the defense got off at the snap was impressive. Alberts had 15 sacks that year. They may have had 5+ against FSU and couple chances for more while FSU only gave up 10 the entire season before that.

Final thought- it was cool seeing Clester Johnson and Toby Wright (who was everywhere in that game- I felt bad the last drive penalty was on him).
Two legacy kids we could potentially have playing together here soon. Hopefully it’s a sign of cycling back to what once was- high caliber football.

1st and Goal from 4 with 2 minutes and change left...I know if I keep watching one of these days they'll punch that opportunity in. Probably the only time LP was ever stopped for no gain or a loss on three straight runs in his life right there.

Lots of legitimate excuses for losing in that game, but Nebraska has to own that outcome....as much as it still hurts 26 years after the fact.

Reactions: HominidHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT