ADVERTISEMENT

93 NU vs KSU "Crowd Noise Warning" Game

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
I was at this game and I thought surely I was misremembering that the refs warned the crowd they were being too loud. But sure enough, that really happened.

It's at about 1 hour 46 minutes, Chad May starts crying to the refs that the fans are too loud and he can't call his signals. The refs stop the game and warn the fans they're being too loud and NU will be charged a timeout if they're not quieter. Then KSU gets a false start followed by May calling a timeout.

From that moment on, NU was rent-free in Chad May's head. They had been getting hits on him all game, and they mashed him again in 94. He went on to complain publicly that NU would put dirty hits on him, poke his eyes, etc. I dunno about any of that but one thing that jumps out watching early 90s games is that it was routine for guys to jump on a ball carrier or receiver late after the play was over. I keep seeing it over and over from both teams in multiple games. Hitting guys late just to hit em was part of the game back then.

During that time, the thought was that the home crowd was interfering with the QB providing signals to their team and it was the home teams responsibility to calm the crowd. The QB would complain to the ref and the ref would try to quiet the crowd, go talk to the coach who would sometime try and someimes call a delay of game penalty on the home team. None of this provided the intended effect of quieting the crowd. This mindset only lasted a couple years.

And WTF the refs warned the crowd twice about crowd noise?! How the hell is that an actual possible thing?!
I remember Chad May being the epitome of a little bitch, but I didn’t remember him actually complaining about crowd noise. What a limp dick pansy...

Reactions: HuskAir
And WTF the refs warned the crowd twice about crowd noise?! How the hell is that an actual possible thing?!
I remember Chad May being the epitome of a little bitch, but I didn’t remember him actually complaining about crowd noise. What a limp dick pansy...
Yup. About as bad as Brock Huard. I'm sure Grant and Jason made him cry as well. 😢

Reactions: vs540husker
Guess I don't remember that. Big Ten was irrelevant to Husker fans at that time. Seldom got a chance to play them with their ties to Rose

Kind of shocks me that some fans don't remember that.
Might show the age of people on here. That was almost 30 years ago. I remember it but it was one of those, oh yeah I remember that....... Kinda forgot it really. That was a stupid rule

I think it happened in a KC Chiefs game once, too. Possibly on MNF.

Looks like it was a 1990 game against the Denver Fighting John Elways...

I remember this well. The good old days.

I wonder what the penalty was after the two warnings were ignored?

Glen Mason asked the refs to quiet the crowd during the 1992 night game Kansas vs. Nebraska game too. One of my favorite games from that era (after the CU game from 1992 though).

Reactions: Bobfather
0668790b95dfbdc98f1f84877ae2b82a--nebraska-football-nebraska-cornhuskers.jpg.cf.jpg

Oh my how the game has changed! There was a game this past year that a bunch of (to steal your adjectives) limp dick pansies complained about a coach clapping his hands to loudly! I understand it was a covid year, but damn. You want to talk about living in somebody head rent free! Hopefully this year we all get back to full stadiums of loud fans making up for the shit year last year.

Remember this game very well. This led to teams using hand signals. It happened in multiple stadiums besides ours.

K-State still sucks, similar to Iowa since they have a similar size trophy case and the same level of annoying fans.

Oh my how the game has changed! There was a game this past year that a bunch of (to steal your adjectives) limp dick pansies complained about a coach clapping his hands to loudly! I understand it was a covid year, but damn. You want to talk about living in somebody head rent free! Hopefully this year we all get back to full stadiums of loud fans making up for the shit year last year.

Imagine being on another teams message board, all these months later, crying because your racist ass coaches got told to follow the rules during a football game. Rent free.

5:46 pm on a Friday. On another team’s message board. Rent free in someone’s head? The irony is thick.

Remember this game very well. This led to teams using hand signals. It happened in multiple stadiums besides ours.

K-State still sucks, similar to Iowa since they have a similar size trophy case and the same level of annoying fans.
You’ve got to respect k state alil more than Iowa, they occasionally ascended the mountain, Iowa is fine sitting on a bean bag eating a bag of Cheetos fingering their belly button most years

In the late 1970s Cal was playing at Arizona and late in the game the Arizona band was given a warning because Cal couldn't hear the quarterbacks signal. The band continued to play, Arizona was called for unsportsmanlike conduct, and the Golden Bears ending winning the game thanks to the band. 😎

I was at this game and I thought surely I was misremembering that the refs warned the crowd they were being too loud. But sure enough, that really happened.

It's at about 1 hour 46 minutes, Chad May starts crying to the refs that the fans are too loud and he can't call his signals. The refs stop the game and warn the fans they're being too loud and NU will be charged a timeout if they're not quieter. Then KSU gets a false start followed by May calling a timeout.

From that moment on, NU was rent-free in Chad May's head. They had been getting hits on him all game, and they mashed him again in 94. He went on to complain publicly that NU would put dirty hits on him, poke his eyes, etc. I dunno about any of that but one thing that jumps out watching early 90s games is that it was routine for guys to jump on a ball carrier or receiver late after the play was over. I keep seeing it over and over from both teams in multiple games. Hitting guys late just to hit em was part of the game back then.

That's one of my uploads. Added a couple more games the other day.

Glen Mason asked the refs to quiet the crowd during the 1992 night game Kansas vs. Nebraska game too. One of my favorite games from that era (after the CU game from 1992 though).
Maybe the two best games we EVER played vs great teams back to back...
I know... I said KU was a great team😂

Reactions: BK1 and timnsun
1993 was such a fun year, maybe the most exciting ever for me and probably my favorite Husker team. '94 obviously was amazing but in some ways it felt like a continuation of the previous year. And then with '95 it was like the best freaking trilogy I have ever seen (or will ever see). All 3 were so special; I'd always heard my dad talk about '70 and '71 and those 3 years for me felt even better than what he'd described.

Wasn't this the game that the crowd quieted when the Husker Vision suddenly showed " Dorothy and Toto" looking around from the Wizard of Oz film ? She looked at her little dog and said " Toto I don't think we are in Kansas any more " Biggest crowd roar in my lifetime !! K State fans just shocked at the brilliance of it.

Reactions: TFrazier
Wasn't this the game that the crowd quieted when the Husker Vision suddenly showed " Dorothy and Toto" looking around from the Wizard of Oz film ? She looked at her little dog and said " Toto I don't think we are in Kansas any more " Biggest crowd roar in my lifetime !! K State fans just shocked at the brilliance of it.
We didn't have the HuskerVision screens until 1994 (UCLA was the first game with them).

Reactions: TheBeav815
KU was pretty good that year, I think there were a top 10 team during weeks of the 1992 season and were 13th when we beat them. Agreed, on back to back performances. I miss the "We backs". Calvin Jones and Derek Brown are two of my favorite running backs of all time.

We didn't have the HuskerVision screens until 1994 (UCLA was the first game with them).
The "not in Kansas any more" clip got trotted out pretty much every year against whichever Kansas team NU was playing. It would play before the tunnel walk if I recall correctly.

Reactions: saluno22
The "not in Kansas any more" clip got trotted out pretty much every year against whichever Kansas team NU was playing. It would play before the tunnel walk if I recall correctly.
I hate to correct you but its the internet so I will. We only used it once and it was against KU. That was after KU played a derogatory clip about Nebraska from the movie "Deadwood" (I think) the year before. KU played it right after doing their obligatory announcement about treating the opposition with respect. I remember that part of it vividly. We still killed them.

nice TD run by LP at the end of that one!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT