ADVERTISEMENT

9 Wins Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Marlow

Athletic Director
Sep 23, 2005
In Your Head
I hear a lot about them, but who are they exactly and how many actually exist? Is this a significant presence or urban legend? Somewhere in between?

I know that I appreciated the 9-win streak (more than most), but it wasn't enough to keep BO around. We need a higher ceiling that involves 11+ win seasons and winning some championships along the way. It seemed pretty obvious to me that BO needed to go.

Anyway, I'd rather not have a rehash of all that. But I would like to see if there really are posters who think BO's 9-win streak was enough to keep him around for Year 8. Step up and let me know you exist.

If you couldn't find anyone better. Plus, that was his first head coaching job ever. He still had plenty to learn, while his bottom was 9 wins. 3 championship games in 7 years in 2 different conferences. It wouldn't be unrealistic to have brought him back.

So I could see it. But if you're including the off the field stuff, tapes, etc.. Then no.
I found myself looking forward to the season ending in Bo's last 2 years because of all the drama. Took the fun out of the season

If you couldn't find anyone better. Plus, that was his first head coaching job ever. He still had plenty to learn, while his bottom was 9 wins. 3 championship games in 7 years in 2 different conferences. It wouldn't be unrealistic to have brought him back.

So I could see it. But if you're including the off the field stuff, tapes, etc.. Then no.
I found myself looking forward to the season ending in Bo's last 2 years because of all the drama. Took the fun out of the season
I agree with this. Bo needed to go, but I wonder if people would've been so on board with this hire if they knew a 5-7 season was on the horizon. Now, I'm excited at what seems to be solid momentum, but only time will tell.

But if you're asking me if I would rather Nebraska be 5-7 vs 9-4 or 10-4, I would rather be 9/10-4. Yes, even with Melvin Gordon still running, no championships, no top 10 finishes, etc. I just hope Riley and team come out swinging this season, and stop giving the naysayers so much ammunition.

Well, I agree for the most part. It just seemed like stopping the run was not so important to him. Which is kind of a big deal when you reside in the BiG TeN WeSt.

I said I didn't want to rehash all that, but look at me now. RollingLaugh

I agree with this. Bo needed to go, but I wonder if people would've been so on board with this hire if they knew a 5-7 season was on the horizon. Now, I'm excited at what seems to be solid momentum, but only time will tell.

But if you're asking me if I would rather Nebraska be 5-7 vs 9-4 or 10-4, I would rather be 9/10-4. Yes, even with Melvin Gordon still running, no championships, no top 10 finishes, etc. I just hope Riley and team come out swinging this season, and stop giving the naysayers so much ammunition.
That's fair. If the 5-7 leads to 11+ win seasons (this remains to be seen), was the 5-7 worth it? I would venture to guess most people would say yes.

I hear a lot about them, but who are they exactly and how many actually exist? Is this a significant presence or urban legend? Somewhere in between?

I know that I appreciated the 9-win streak (more than most), but it wasn't enough to keep BO around. We need a higher ceiling that involves 11+ win seasons and winning some championships along the way. It seemed pretty obvious to me that BO needed to go.

Anyway, I'd rather not have a rehash of all that. But I would like to see if there really are posters who think BO's 9-win streak was enough to keep him around for Year 8. Step up and let me know you exist.

I don't know. You saw those 7 years. What do you think!?!?

The ammo Riley had was what Pelini left him to play with. This year's schedule is tougher than last so let's see what he can do.

Last years team went 6-7, not 5-7. If you are going to count the Holiday Bowl and Gator Bowl wins for Bo you kind of need to count last years Bowl too, just sayin.

We were competitive in every game last year and beat a top 5 team. Something we haven't been able to say in a long time. Honestly, I would say we are on a better trajectory now and should have more hope for the future than we have had since the end of the 09 season.

I would have rather taken last year at 5-7 than another year of 400 yard rushing games, Pelini freaking out, and just lack of effort. He was one lucky guy to reach 9 wins in 2013 and 2014. Pelini had to go.

While I hate when Nebraska loses and and the whole week after a loss is depressing, I still feel there is more to it than just winning. I'm not sure how I would feel about Bo if he had won a couple conference championships and a national title, I suppose the antics wouldn't have been an issue with me so much, but I would still be embarrassed he was representing my school. That being said, nine wins wasn't enough to provide high cover over his demeanor and attitude IMHO.

Last years team went 6-7, not 5-7. If you are going to count the Holiday Bowl and Gator Bowl wins for Bo you kind of need to count last years Bowl too, just sayin.

We were competitive in every game last year and beat a top 5 team. Something we haven't been able to say in a long time. Honestly, I would say we are on a better trajectory now and should have more hope for the future than we have had since the end of the 09 season.
WELL SPOKEN. BO'S problem was maybe being too defensive ? - He didn't want to go with all the plans being developed in the Athletic department; lack of control over assistant coaches and some players, while defending them - the above covers recruiting and some other issues. We could have had a much better record this year; some of it was bad luck in a way, but Bo seemed to leave it somewhat toxic. The above poster makes the point for hope in the future and there is some real achievement as the team came back together and kept battling.

After having time to reflect on the season, I'd rather have what we went through this past year rather than the 9/10-4 season. No titles/championships either way so I'd rather not have the embarrassment of Wisconsin, and losing three of the final four.
Plus the whole psych of the program seems to be turning for the better. best of all I don't have to see the asshat on the sports segment every evening talking like he's pissed at everyone in March!

Things I am thankful for about Riley regardless of last season's total.

Professional in demeanor - Bo was embarrassing

Professional in approach to recruiting - I see an actual recruiting plan. It is easy to see what they are doing and easy to align with it.

Riley's staff works harder - it is apparent during the recruiting of players that they simply put more effort into it.

Character issues not there with Riley's staff - never am I worried that an assistant coach is going to get busted for an affair with a boosters daughter, sex with a minor, drugs, assault, harassment, etc. Bo and staff were a ticking time bomb and did all of these things.

Riley WANTS to be here - I always had a feeling that Bo wished he was elsewhere and, if given the chance, would leave us for OSU (Miami, etc).

I'm just happy with what I am seeing. Progress is being made. S&C is better. The athletes we are attracting is better. Things at least FEEL like we have a shot at building something special again.

Things I am thankful for about Riley regardless of last season's total.

Professional in demeanor - Bo was embarrassing

Professional in approach to recruiting - I see an actual recruiting plan. It is easy to see what they are doing and easy to align with it.

Riley's staff works harder - it is apparent during the recruiting of players that they simply put more effort into it.

Character issues not there with Riley's staff - never am I worried that an assistant coach is going to get busted for an affair with a boosters daughter, sex with a minor, drugs, assault, harassment, etc. Bo and staff were a ticking time bomb and did all of these things.

Riley WANTS to be here - I always had a feeling that Bo wished he was elsewhere and, if given the chance, would leave us for OSU (Miami, etc).

I'm just happy with what I am seeing. Progress is being made. S&C is better. The athletes we are attracting is better. Things at least FEEL like we have a shot at building something special again.

Well stated.

I was a Pelini lukewarmer. He showed why he should never be the coach of a big-time program when he had the after canning talk with the players. Don't know if Riley will do any better, but he deserves some time.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
In my circle of friends and family there were quite a few that believed Bo's 9-win records deserved an 8th year (and more if he kept up with 9-wins).

That was before Bo's going away speech to his players and his sideline antics at YSU last year. Once those few things happened that 'keep Bo crowd' I knew changed to 'yeah he crazy and made Nebraska look bad'.

Funny how ones views can change when you see that crap happen on a different team vs your own. People, naturally, defend someone's actions when it's their own guy.

Reactions: countrybob
Admitting it is the first step towards recovery.

Bo-ner: Hey guys! I'm a Derrick and I'm a Bo-ner.

Support group: Hi Derrick!

Bo-ner: For years I supported this a-hole no matter how much embarrassment he brought on the program, how uncompetitive his teams were and how awful his recruiting was. I promise to follow the 12-steps to recovery and to stop kicking the dog.

Support group: Bless you brother Derrick!

Bo-ner: Allow me to accept the Bo I cannot change, the courage to fire his ass, and the wisdom to know the difference.

You've been a member for as long as I can remember, and seem pretty active on here. Not sure I really understand your question, there's enough proof on who was what from 2008 through 2014. Dang near everyone was behind Peelini when he was hired, over time he rustled some feathers along the way...

Some warned of his behavior behind the scenes, others asked for links.

Some laughed when the truth came out, others were staking social media to make it personal against the posters that were giving the 411.

Some Peelini supporters jumped ship, others anchored down.

Some want NU to succeed, others want their cosch to succeed.

It is what it is...

I agree with what was said about 9 wins being the floor, not the ceiling.

In terms of performance, you got

• Nice guy who gets average results

• Borderline nut case, who made the 9 win floor again and again.

One thing that isn't discussed very often is that high achievement people are rarely balanced in all areas. They usually are deficient in at least one area, and often are over compensating for those deficiencies, leading to higher achievements in other areas. If you have ever worked around or known a person like this, then I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Try telling someone, "Hey, I'm just an average guy doing above average work." That usually isn't going to fly and most people know that your not going to get extraordinary results from an ordinary person.

The honest husker fan should be equally as savvy.

Last edited:

One thing that isn't discussed very often is that high achievement people are rarely balanced in all areas. They usually are deficient in at least one area, and often are over compensating for those deficiencies, leading to higher achievements in other areas. If you have ever worked around or known a person like this, then I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Try telling someone, "Hey, I'm just an average guy doing above average work." That usually isn't going to fly and most people know that your not going to get extraordinary results from an ordinary person.

Last year was anything but an average coaching performance from Riley. You can go back and tell your Husker BOR you did your duty for the cause.

This is an amazing attempt to puff up Bo and tear down Mike, unless I'm missing something here... If you can't see that what Riley is doing right now is more positive than anything Bo did here in terms of preparation, professionalism, and the like... Well, I guess the only thing that MAY, and I emphasize MAY, change your mind (not sure anything can) is reaching Bo's ceiling, and even then, I get the strong sense that you will find something else to moan about.

I am convinced by what I have seen in recruiting, in relationship building, repairing the team psyche, that this year will be far different. I actually look forward to a successful year just to see what you will come up with the complain about...

Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette. In other words, I'll take a season(no mater how gut wrenching)like last years if that is what it takes. It seems like you're always trying to justify his existence.

This is an amazing attempt to puff up Bo and tear down Mike, unless I'm missing something here... If you can't see that what Riley is doing right now is more positive than anything Bo did here in terms of preparation, professionalism, and the like... Well, I guess the only thing that MAY, and I emphasize MAY, change your mind (not sure anything can) is reaching Bo's ceiling, and even then, I get the strong sense that you will find something else to moan about.

I am convinced by what I have seen in recruiting, in relationship building, repairing the team psyche, that this year will be far different. I actually look forward to a successful year just to see what you will come up with the complain about...
Solid post.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette. In other words, I'll take a season(no mater how gut wrenching)like last years if that is what it takes. It seems like you're always trying to justify his existence.
+1

Admitting it is the first step towards recovery.

Bo-ner: Hey guys! I'm a Derrick and I'm a Bo-ner.

Support group: Hi Derrick!

Bo-ner: For years I supported this a-hole no matter how much embarrassment he brought on the program, how uncompetitive his teams were and how awful his recruiting was. I promise to follow the 12-steps to recovery and to stop kicking the dog.

Support group: Bless you brother Derrick!

Bo-ner: Allow me to accept the Bo I cannot change, the courage to fire his ass, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Lol!
Underrated post.

The vast majority of his wins came against sub .500 teams. But when he played a mediocre to good team not only would he lose he would get his doors blown off. The nine wins was as much smoke and mirrors as it's former coach.
Like Purdue and Illinois?

Like Purdue and Illinois?
I know I shouldn't respond, but this first season was a transition year. Even Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year at Alabama. I am sure the list is long of first year coaches losing to teams they shouldn't lose to under normal circumstances.

If it continues to be a problem in subsequent years, your point is instantly stronger.

Reactions: OkeyDokeyNU
I know I shouldn't respond, but this first season was a transition year. Even Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year at Alabama. I am sure the list is long of first year coaches losing to teams they shouldn't lose to under normal circumstances.

If it continues to be a problem in subsequent years, your point is instantly stronger.
Oh I totally agree...that is why when I see posters claim that 7-8 wins this year would be "okay" with them it makes me cringe a bit.

I agree, but to criticize losing to good teams while defending a coach who loses to bad teams isn't without its irony. Providing context to justify why a coach loses to bad teams is just another avenue of making excuses.

I'm so glad Botard is gone and his minions have little power except to cause and ferment dissension. And thankfully most can see through it.

Reactions: countrybob
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT