ADVERTISEMENT

80 days: Best #80 in Neb history?

Some good TEs and WRs named so far. On the defensive side, I would add Ray Phillips, a really good DE back in the 70s who spent a few years in the NFL.

I hate seeing this play in highlight packages. We were losing by 40 points and the play was a penalty.

Liked Kenny Bell when he was playing for us though..
I agree with I hate seeing it as we were down, however just because a penalty was called it don’t make it a penalty... that was a hell of a block and it was very legal... I feel bad for the kid that got folded like that but that was a clean block... and a horrible call

Jim McFarland and Jamie Williams..
Jamie Williams 7 days and Sunday over Bell. Guy played in a 90 percent + run offense and had a very solid NFL career. You put Richard Bell or Tyrone Hughes or Dana Brinson or Abdul Muhammed in the offense Bell played in they (IMO) equal or surpass Bell’s stats. Right place/right time.

Last edited:
I agree with I hate seeing it as we were down, however just because a penalty was called it don’t make it a penalty... that was a hell of a block and it was very legal... I feel bad for the kid that got folded like that but that was a clean block... and a horrible call
I agree it wasn't a penalty at the time (it's a penalty now) but its not surprising they made the call knowing big ten refs.

Jamie Williams 7 days and Sunday over Bell. Guy played in a 90 percent + run offense and had a very solid NFL career. You put Richard Bell or Tyrone Hughes or Dana Brinson or Abdul Muhammed in the offense Bell played in they (IMO) equal or surpass Bell’s stats. Right place/right time.
Maybe, maybe not. I'll defend those guys all day too. But I'd be willing to bet Kenny Bell's production surpasses all those guys combined and made a difference in the outcomes of games more often than anyone on this list. Idk why but it seems alot of people just don't like him for personal reasons. I'd bet if Dana Brinson or Abdul Muhammad had a twitter account when they played you wouldn't like them either. In fact, I know it, lol. I don't know what everyone's gripes are with the kid but grow up and let it go already. The kid busted his ass for 5 years to make NU better. We all bleed for the Huskers, let it go already.

I agree it wasn't a penalty at the time (it's a penalty now) but its not surprising they made the call knowing big ten refs.
no that’s not even a penalty now, I don’t see how it could be... was he supposed to tap him on the shoulder and say excuse me may I block you? The kid had an angle on turner and was in hot pursuit... no he wasn’t looking at Kenny nor should he had been while he was chasing down turner... the only problem I can see and that’s reaching to find a problem is that he didn’t help the kid up after the brutal block.... I double down on my stance that wasn’t a penalty then and isn’t now... they are playing football and you can and will take brutal hits...

no that’s not even a penalty now, I don’t see how it could be... was he supposed to tap him on the shoulder and say excuse me may I block you? The kid had an angle on turner and was in hot pursuit... no he wasn’t looking at Kenny nor should he had been while he was chasing down turner... the only problem I can see and that’s reaching to find a problem is that he didn’t help the kid up after the brutal block.... I double down on my stance that wasn’t a penalty then and isn’t now... they are playing football and you can and will take brutal hits...
I agree that it shouldn't be a penalty. As of the 2019 season, it is definitely a penalty because they specifically changed the rule.

"The N.C.A.A. has come up with a formal definition of a blindside block — “an open field block against an opponent that is initiated from outside the opponent’s field of vision, or otherwise in such a manner that the opponent cannot reasonably defend himself against the block” — and mostly banned the play.

“It’s easy to keep a player from getting to the ball carrier when they are running at those speeds, a shove, a push,” Greg Burks, the Big 12’s coordinator of officials. “But we want to eliminate that de-cleater where we see somebody leveled and they don’t see the play coming at all.”

With certain exceptions, those blocks will be called as personal fouls, which carry a 15-yard penalty."

If that block happens in 2020, refs will call it 100 out of 100 times.

In any event, I don't like the play because we were losing by a million points. Highlights from blowout losses shouldn't be highlighted.

Reactions: Yossarian23
For me, Kenny Bell's biggest play as a Husker was the kickoff return for a TD against Penn State. Anything that shuts up Penn State fans and leads to a Nittany Lion loss is well worth remembering.
Good call. That 2013 season had some real rough moments... but also had a few of the most satisfying wins of the last several several years. Road OT win against Penn State, road win against Michigan at the big house, and a bowl win against Georgia.

For me, Kenny Bell's biggest play as a Husker was the kickoff return for a TD against Penn State. Anything that shuts up Penn State fans and leads to a Nittany Lion loss is well worth remembering.
I'd have to agree.

I agree that it shouldn't be a penalty. As of the 2019 season, it is definitely a penalty because they specifically changed the rule.

"The N.C.A.A. has come up with a formal definition of a blindside block — “an open field block against an opponent that is initiated from outside the opponent’s field of vision, or otherwise in such a manner that the opponent cannot reasonably defend himself against the block” — and mostly banned the play.

“It’s easy to keep a player from getting to the ball carrier when they are running at those speeds, a shove, a push,” Greg Burks, the Big 12’s coordinator of officials. “But we want to eliminate that de-cleater where we see somebody leveled and they don’t see the play coming at all.”

With certain exceptions, those blocks will be called as personal fouls, which carry a 15-yard penalty."

If that block happens in 2020, refs will call it 100 out of 100 times.

In any event, I don't like the play because we were losing by a million points. Highlights from blowout losses shouldn't be highlighted.
hmmm, I appreciate the rule, I will be the first to admit I was not aware of that particular rule change, but I want to add I still disagree with the rule change, I think however you decide to block the kid in that situation he is going to take a hit, that’s two athletes running full speed into each other, just one was ready to deliver the hit... football is starting to lose its appeal and slowly turning into two hand touch...
With the verbiage on that rule I could end up saying about 90% of all blocks more then 5 yards down field from the line of scrimmage will end up being a penalty

hmmm, I appreciate the rule, I will be the first to admit I was not aware of that particular rule change, but I want to add I still disagree with the rule change, I think however you decide to block the kid in that situation he is going to take a hit, that’s two athletes running full speed into each other, just one was ready to deliver the hit... football is starting to lose its appeal and slowly turning into two hand touch...
With the verbiage on that rule I could end up saying about 90% of all blocks more then 5 yards down field from the line of scrimmage will end up being a penalty

I agree. We got called for a VERY ticky tack version of this penalty very late in the Iowa game and it killed our final drive. McCaffrey ran around and reversed field and got like five yards or so. Instead of 2nd and 5 we had 1st and 25.

Reactions: Clemke32
Maybe, maybe not. I'll defend those guys all day too. But I'd be willing to bet Kenny Bell's production surpasses all those guys combined and made a difference in the outcomes of games more often than anyone on this list. Idk why but it seems alot of people just don't like him for personal reasons. I'd bet if Dana Brinson or Abdul Muhammad had a twitter account when they played you wouldn't like them either. In fact, I know it, lol. I don't know what everyone's gripes are with the kid but grow up and let it go already. The kid busted his ass for 5 years to make NU better. We all bleed for the Huskers, let it go already.
So other people can’t pick Jamie Williams because they think he was better? How long was Williams in the NFL? 9 years? How long for Bell?

It’s not about gripes with the kid, as you suggest... people actually believe that Williams was better. Why does it have to be a personal vendetta against KB?

It’s just humorous to me how hard you are trying here... maybe you need to let it go and let people make their own picks, not the picks you think they should make.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT