ADVERTISEMENT

77 NFL players test positive

Positive tests of asymptomatic people are worthless. But I believe this highlights a significantly larger problem with the tests. And using them leads to media panic when they report on tests. And politicians with an agenda make poor policy decisions based on the faulty data.

its curious we’ve never had a reliable test.
its seems as though other countries crushed it right off the bat, but our medical community(s) have never got a handle on it.
hopefully, our ‘herd’ will get it & maintain ‘immunity’.

its seems as though other countries crushed it right off the bat, but our medical community(s) have never got a handle on it.
I said it from the start on the testing. It is NOT a panacea for this deal. The problem is there are so many critical steps in the process where something can get screwed up. When people were screaming for more testing, I just shook my head in disbelief. There are only so many qualified lab techs to run the tests and even then mistakes are made. When you have labs hiring new staff to try to keep up with the case load, you're going to have some problems with testing. This latest set of false positives doesn't sound like it was a problem with the actual test. It was a problem with contamination in the lab. IMO, most of the in lab tests being used are probably pretty darned reliable tests. The problem is normally the person handling the test.

ok, i have a rough idea what you’re saying, but dont the nfl, mlb, &nba have separate labs for their ‘bubbles’? much smaller testing lots and im sure a pile of dough to do it.
we shouldnt have struggled anymore than any other country.
i dont figure it was a panacea, but i do think reliable testing help squash it elsewhere.

Last edited:
even if they test positive, so what? Positive tests are a worthless stat except for the fact we are one more positive step to herd immunity. So sick of hearing about positive tests.The faster we can fill the stadiums and get more people exposed to this, tge better this country will become. Sell out the games
Like with most coronaviruses, though, COVID-19 immunity appears to be short lived (as indicated by today's report of a man in Hong Kong confirmed to be infected for a second time). I'm not convinced herd immunity is attainable if people lose immunity in as little as three months (common cold coronaviruses are about six months of immunity). It still seems that a vaccine is the only hope to return to normal. And even then, depending on what type of vaccine receives approval, multiple doses and boosters may be needed (i.e. if it's based on an inactivated virus). Not a lot of groups are taking a live virus approach (like what we have for polio, chickenpox, MMR) given that time is of the essence.

Reactions: Melmc
Like with most coronaviruses, though, COVID-19 immunity appears to be short lived (as indicated by today's report of a man in Hong Kong confirmed to be infected for a second time). I'm not convinced herd immunity is attainable if people lose immunity in as little as three months (common cold coronaviruses are about six months of immunity). It still seems that a vaccine is the only hope to return to normal. And even then, depending on what type of vaccine receives approval, multiple doses and boosters may be needed (i.e. if it's based on an inactivated virus). Not a lot of groups are taking a live virus approach (like what we have for polio, chickenpox, MMR) given that time is of the essence.
ive heard some of that, too.
i dont think enough people will take it.

So - I will just say this to the Hong Kong report.....

This is so close to meaningless it is almost not worth posting. Disease resistance is never 100%, so if you dig, you will find a person with a second case of chicken pox or mono. That alone doesn't make anyone high risk for re-invection.

In the Hong Kong scenario, the second case he had no symptoms and he had a viral load of about 26, which if I understand that number means he wouldn't be at all very contagious. Was he even sick again, was this a live virus or fragments being killed off by the immune system? Why didn't they culture?

In this "study" of 1, they determined that because of this "second case" the likelihood of herd immunity eliminating covid 19 is unlikely. ha ha ha one dude, who may or may not have had the virus a second time and now herd immunity is impossible. Good lord

This is so close to meaningless it is almost not worth posting. Disease resistance is never 100%, so if you dig, you will find a person with a second case of chicken pox or mono. That alone doesn't make anyone high risk for re-invection.

In the Hong Kong scenario, the second case he had no symptoms and he had a viral load of about 26, which if I understand that number means he wouldn't be at all very contagious. Was he even sick again, was this a live virus or fragments being killed off by the immune system? Why didn't they culture?

In this "study" of 1, they determined that because of this "second case" the likelihood of herd immunity eliminating covid 19 is unlikely. ha ha ha one dude, who may or may not have had the virus a second time and now herd immunity is impossible. Good lord
"Levels of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, dropped dramatically over the first 3 months of infection in 34 people recovered from mild illness, University of California at Los Angeles researchers have found.

Their research letter, published yesterday in the New England Journal of Medicine, said that antibody levels against the novel coronavirus decreased by about half every 73 days and, if that rate were sustained, would be depleted within about a year."
Study: COVID-19 antibodies decay quickly after mild illness

"The study, which focused on 37 asymptomatic and 37 symptomatic patients, showed that more than 90% of both groups showed steep declines in levels of SARS-COV-2–specific immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies within 2 to 3 months after onset of infection, according to a report published yesterday in Nature Medicine. Further, 40% of the asymptomatic group tested negative for IgG antibodies 8 weeks after they were released from isolation."
Chinese study: Antibodies in COVID-19 patients fade quickly

"Our findings raise concern that humoral immunity against SARS-CoV-2 may not be long lasting in persons with mild illness, who compose the majority of persons with Covid-19. It is difficult to extrapolate beyond our observation period of approximately 90 days because it is likely that the decay will decelerate.3 Still, the results call for caution regarding antibody-based “immunity passports,” herd immunity, and perhaps vaccine durability, especially in light of short-lived immunity against common human coronaviruses."
Rapid Decay of Anti–SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies in Persons with Mild Covid-19

It was a different strain of the COVID-19 SARS CoV2

And it’s the T-Cell immunity that prevents you from getting really sick after catching it again. I should know, I’ve had it twice and my second time felt like a normal cold.

Hopefully that guy in Hong Kong didn't have either test analyzed at the same lab the NFL uses. He might not have been infected at all yet.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It was a different strain of the COVID-19 SARS CoV2

And it’s the T-Cell immunity that prevents you from getting really sick after catching it again. I should know, I’ve had it twice and my second time felt like a normal cold.
Yes, this provided additional validation for confirming a new infection.

ok, i have a rough idea what you’re saying, but dont the nfl, mlb, &nba have separate labs for their ‘bubbles’? much smaller testing lots and im sure a pile of dough to do it.
we shouldnt have struggled anymore than any other country.
i dont figure it was a panacea, but i do think reliable testing help squash it elsewhere.
spending more money doesn't insure quality. The NBA I think is relying on a test that is actually only about 95% accurate. Testing, masks, etc, none of it is going to stop this thing. All we can do is slow it down and get a vaccine to the public ASAP.

"Our findings raise concern that humoral immunity against SARS-CoV-2 may not be long lasting in persons with mild illness, who compose the majority of persons with Covid-19. It is difficult to extrapolate beyond our observation period of approximately 90 days because it is likely that the decay will decelerate.3 Still, the results call for caution regarding antibody-based “immunity passports,” herd immunity, and perhaps vaccine durability, especially in light of short-lived immunity against common human coronaviruses."
Humoral immunity almost NEVER lasts more than a few months. It's your CMI (cell mediated immunity) is what normally provides long lasting immunity. The people screaming about flagging anitibody decay are fear mongers. I am not at all worried about how long humoral antibodies last OR how long the vaccine will protect us.

"The study, which focused on 37 asymptomatic and 37 symptomatic patients, showed that more than 90% of both groups showed steep declines in levels of SARS-COV-2–specific immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies within 2 to 3 months after onset of infection, according to a report published yesterday in Nature Medicine. Further, 40% of the asymptomatic group tested negative for IgG antibodies 8 weeks after they were released from isolation."
Chinese study: Antibodies in COVID-19 patients fade quickly

If people were getting this a second time and antibodies fade quickly, why are the numbers continuing to decline? Wouldn’t this incredibly contagious virus be doubling and tripling in numbers worldwide?

Humoral immunity almost NEVER lasts more than a few months. It's your CMI (cell mediated immunity) is what normally provides long lasting immunity. The people screaming about flagging anitibody decay are fear mongers. I am not at all worried about how long humoral antibodies last OR how long the vaccine will protect us.
I'm not so worried about vaccine durability either, but I'm less optimistic about herd immunity. It's important to remember that scientists working in the lab and conducting these studies are not medical doctors. A medical doctor telling his patients or reporting to news outlets concern about vaccine durability is fear mongering. A scientist questioning it, investigating it in the lab, and reporting it in a scientific journal is doing her job.

Alyssa Milano says hello.
Interestingly the symptoms including the hair loss she complained about can also be caused by a form of mental illness.o_O Good heavens this virus has brought the hysterical nuts out of the woodwork. It's kind of ironic that some of the people most likely to get this virus are the least worried about it because they're too busy trying to put food on the table ...

Reactions: Sinomatic
I'm not so worried about vaccine durability either, but I'm less optimistic about herd immunity. It's important to remember that scientists working in the lab and conducting these studies are not medical doctors. A medical doctor telling his patients or reporting to news outlets concern about vaccine durability is fear mongering. A scientist questioning it, investigating it in the lab, and reporting it in a scientific journal is doing her job.
Any "scientist" doing humoral immunity research SHOULD know that a fairly rapid decline in circulating antibodies to a specific antigen is normal and expected. It really doesn't tell us much of anything about vaccine "duration of immunity" to a pathogen.

Cool, now look up T-cells. They'll really blow your mind.

Cool, now look up T-cells. They'll really blow your mind.
Antibodies can prevent an infection, T-cells deal with an infection that’s already underway. Thus, it’s possible to have immunity and still get reinfected as antibody levels diminish. If people can spread it during re-infections, herd immunity will be difficult until there is a vaccine.

Last edited:
Antibodies can prevent an infection, T-cells deal with an infection that’s already underway. Thus, it’s possible to have immunity and still get reinfected as antibody levels diminish. If people can spread it during re-infections, herd immunity will be difficult until there is a vaccine.

If I buy a lottery ticket, it's possible I can win the prize.

You misunderstand how humoral immunity and antibodies work. By definition, IF a pathogen invades your body to the point of where antibodies come in to play, you are already infected. Antibodies might prevent you from developing clinical illness but you're still infected. Antibodies might stop the virus or other pathogen in the lining of your lung or nasal passages, but you were infected. You just MIGHT not have become viremic. On the other hand, T memory cells when stimulated by the infection spring in to action and rapidly produce more antibodies than anybody would normally have already circulating in their body.

The possibility of one or even a few people of PERHAPs having been reinfected with COVID says virtually nothing about anything for the general population. It's virtually meaningless unless it is proven to happen commonly.

Positive tests of asymptomatic people are worthless. But I believe this highlights a significantly larger problem with the tests. And using them leads to media panic when they report on tests. And politicians with an agenda make poor policy decisions based on the faulty data.

This "pandemic" is over.

Updated Aug. 24, 2020

"If you have been in close contact (within 6 feet) of a person with a COVID-19 infection for at least 15 minutes but do not have symptoms:
  • You do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one.
    • A negative test does not mean you will not develop an infection from the close contact or contract an infection at a later time.
  • You should monitor yourself for symptoms. If you develop symptoms, you should evaluate yourself under the considerations set forth above.
  • You should strictly adhere to CDC mitigation protocols, especially if you are interacting with a vulnerable individual. You should adhere to CDC guidelines to protect vulnerable individuals with whom you live."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html

Start B1G fall sports back up and for God's sake let the kids go back to school normally.

This "pandemic" is over.

Updated Aug. 24, 2020

"If you have been in close contact (within 6 feet) of a person with a COVID-19 infection for at least 15 minutes but do not have symptoms:
  • You do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one.
    • A negative test does not mean you will not develop an infection from the close contact or contract an infection at a later time.
  • You should monitor yourself for symptoms. If you develop symptoms, you should evaluate yourself under the considerations set forth above.
  • You should strictly adhere to CDC mitigation protocols, especially if you are interacting with a vulnerable individual. You should adhere to CDC guidelines to protect vulnerable individuals with whom you live."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html

Start B1G fall sports back up and for God's sake let the kids go back to school normally.

There is virtually no chance a kindergartner will transmit COVID to other kids or adults. What we're doing to our children by keeping them out of school is nothing short of child abuse.

There is virtually no chance a kindergartner will transmit COVID to other kids or adults. What we're doing to our children by keeping them out of school is nothing short of child abuse.

Oh just wait. Our resident posters with their JD, MD and all other titles will be here to prove you wrong in about a second. I wish we could go back to the days of our board working out. If we got our 4.5 40's and 350lb benches back we would probably be healthy enough to fight this virus.

I like to look at the numbers because to me it is just interesting to compare and contrast.

So New York has had to date about 435,000 cases of Covid, and what 32,500 deaths. Texas, Florida and Arizona the most recent hot spots have a combined 1,400,000 cases and 27,400 deaths. Seems like the virus is losing steam to me. I mean with all the beaches open and all the bars open and governors who drug their feet putting mask mandates in place. Then throw in the damn vain rednecks who are worried about how they look in masks, and choosing not to wear them, shouldn’t those death numbers be in the 90,000 range? Again if there is no chance of herd immunity and now some asymptomatic dude in Hong Kong getting it for the second time, I figure New York should be at 50,000 deaths at a minimum of 600,000 cases.

They shutdown 95% of their countries.

We only did about 50%
That's the difference

They shutdown 95% of their countries.

We only did about 50%
That's the difference

oh, im agreeable there, but id gather some of it was in quality of test/labs.
and yes, i have an opinion about labs here, too...

Reactions: jeans15
It would be a sad testament if our labs are truly lacking. The Chinese flu should be a top priority seeing as its devastated us economically. Why would our labs suck so bad? I also wouldn’t believe a word out of the commies either. We have friends teaching in Beijing and a couple weeks ago they went into lock down again. Not a word on the news. If anyone thinks China is giving accurate numbers they are sadly mistaken.

It would be a sad testament if our labs are truly lacking. The Chinese flu should be a top priority seeing as its devastated us economically. Why would our labs suck so bad? I also wouldn’t believe a word out of the commies either. We have friends teaching in Beijing and a couple weeks ago they went into lock down again. Not a word on the news. If anyone thinks China is giving accurate numbers they are sadly mistaken.
Our labs are not lacking. What is lacking is enough qualified people to run tests. You don't just go out and grab a homeless guy, give him a lab coat and say, "here go run these tests". Is it that tough to understand that we're running millions of tests that nobody was running a few months ago. People in medical labs still have their regular caseload to deal with and then this gets dumped on them. It pisses me off when I hear people placing blame for not being able to suddenly run tens of thousands of COVID tests per day. I think we've done amazingly well at getting testing up and running. I don't know how in the hell they could have done it any faster....well unless the CDC hadn't f'd things up for a month at the start.

Reactions: Crazyhole
ADVERTISEMENT