ADVERTISEMENT

7 straight games with 450 plus.. School record

ha ha ha

yep not 400.
When you make a bold statement like "those teams are giving up 400 plus to EVERYONE" Youhave to be called out. Only 4 teams put up more yards than Nebraska... that is the only thing you need to look at really

Great, I already gave you those exact numbers. You all want to be literal when it comes to this.

The defenses we have faced aren't awesome and are giving up big yardage nearly half the teams they face.

In those 5 games you provided, there is exactly 1 where the most important stat of the game final score, went in Nebraska's favor.
I'm not sitting here saying Nebraska is world beaters, but you don't knock them where they are excelling! Knock them on Special teams and bone head mistakes!

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Come on Tuco.. This is the best 2-7 team of all time and this offense is the best ever. I know cause I read about it here everyday!

Come on Tuco.. This is the best 2-7 team of all time and this offense is the best ever. I know cause I read about it here everyday!

Completely unrelated and nonsensical comment coming from you? Shocking! You know, if you don’t understand and aren’t following the topic, you aren’t required to respond.

Last edited:
Reactions: gw2kpro
Im more surprised the '97 team didn't make that list. I always felt like that unit, with Coach Frost as QB, had the most dominating offense to ever play at Nebraska.

I've always said Frost ran the option at least as well as T. Frazier, and maybe even better. He always knew where the pitch man was going to be...without looking. Probably more so a function of always having a good QB-RB pitch relationship, so both he and A. Green were always dialed in.

I see what you are saying and there is validity to that. I just think that we like to try and look at macro stats to explain micro issues. As a whole the numbers we posted are accurate. But the difference in 4 or 5 wins now vs 2 isn't necessarily field position or turnovers or yards per play only. There were individual times were we just didn't make plays, or get stops or whatever, especially true when the game was on the line.

If Nebraska catches a pass vs Colorado, or doesn't commit a penalty on the final drive in a 3rd and a mile. - W - Colorado 77 yard drive to win game

If Nebraska doesn't allow a 99 yard drive against NW - W - NW 99 yard drive to get to OT

Against Ohio St we cut the lead to 6 with 7 1/2 minutes to go, kick off and hold them inside the 20, then 7 plays and 82 yards later, TD. Then we were back down 2 TDs.

With Martinez we beat Troy, that is just bad luck.

Would having better special teams have helped, yes, but the point of the matter is that the average TD drive we allow is still 67 yards.
Agree. When coaches from little on preach about doing the little things correct. Nebraska is the prime example of not doing the little thing right. There are probably only a handful of poorly timed penalties, or dropped passes, that cost us at least 2 or 3 games.

I'm not sitting here saying Nebraska is world beaters, but you don't knock them where they are excelling! Knock them on Special teams and bone head mistakes!

You're right knock them on the things that they don't do well. Like the more concerning stat of giving up 450 or more yards in 6 of their last 7 games.

Michigan - 491
Purdue - 516
Wisconsin - 533
Northwestern - 487
Minnesota - 474
Bethune-Cookman - 355*
Ohio State - 481

I put an * by BCU, because they come from a lower division, I would equate giving that many yards up to 450 yds.

Our opponents are scoring more points than Nebraska (33.7 to 29.9) while averaging fewer yards per game (NU 468.9-442.8) and yards per play (NU 6.4-6.0) than Nebraska — better field position as a result of better special teams play and fewer turnovers (NU 17, Opponents 13).
I agree with what you are saying, but one part you aren't taking into account is penalty yards. Especially early games, we had a lot of penalties like PI that allowed other teams to continue drives and get points instead of forcing punts. I believe if you take our offensive yards and subtract out penalty yards and do the same with our opponents, there is like a 50 yard difference.

Reactions: 9and4
I agree with what you are saying, but one part you aren't taking into account is penalty yards. Especially early games, we had a lot of penalties like PI that allowed other teams to continue drives and get points instead of forcing punts. I believe if you take our offensive yards and subtract out penalty yards and do the same with our opponents, there is like a 50 yard difference.
True dat.

Interesting stuff on field position. You'd think we could shore up the abhorrent special teams more quickly but I guess you'd be wrong.

Hell, at this point it's progress that we can field kicks without seeing a block in the back penalty. I'd love to know how they finally got that to stop. My first theory involves stadium stairs.

Man, our punt returns used to be a weapon.

The offense has played really well since Farmer took over Center and Wilson moved to RG during the Purdue game 6 games ago.

The move seemed obvious, but I guess we don't get to see all the details.

Great, I already gave you those exact numbers. You all want to be literal when it comes to this.

The defenses we have faced aren't awesome and are giving up big yardage nearly half the teams they face.

In those 5 games you provided, there is exactly 1 where the most important stat of the game final score, went in Nebraska's favor.

Ok, we have played the two best teams in the B1G. Would you like to grade conferences defensive efficiency? I believe SEC is first by a hair. Guess who is second?
This is a really good offense, and it's only going to get better.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Tuco was a pussy by the way.

ADVERTISEMENT