ADVERTISEMENT

6 unpopular opinions

They did bench him in the second half. Davison said on the radio that he had ZERO bad snaps all week in practice. ZERO. It's mental. They were really struggling with Illinois's D line and their MLB was creating havoc. I think some of that responsibility for the MLB falls on the center at times in our scheme. Lots of pressure when you're playing from behind.
Well of course it's mental. If they can't handle pressure then they can't play either.

It's clearly a lost/developmental year at this point but good grief do they do stuff you just never thought you'd see at a D1 program.

I genuinely don't know how you practice at football all year and suck this much.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Well of course it's mental. If they can't handle pressure then they can't play either.

It's clearly a lost/developmental year at this point but good grief do they do stuff you just never thought you'd see at a D1 program.

I genuinely don't know how you practice at football all year and suck this much.
Personally I would like to see what Wil Farniok could do in a game setting. I know he's smallish and not much quicker than his older brother but the kid has played center a long time.

Reactions: headcard

Your number one determinant on your entire team is your QB play. We're struggling there. It isn't all their fault but I can guarantee you that IF we had Milton playing QB for us (before the injury) that he would make it work and work well. It would lift the whole team.

1) I agree we need to commit to a young coach for a the long haul, even if it takes 10 years to pay off.

1a) I STRONGLY DISAGREE that Scott Frost should be that guy. You want a football prodigy in that position, not the class dunce. Scott has never wowed anybody with his intelligence, his organization, his staff management, his motivation, nor his innovation. He's definitely not a prodigy. If you're looking for the next Tom Osborne, you wouldn't start with Scott Frost.
Frost is the only coach in America that Nebraska would commit to more than 5 years. Why? Native son, Coach of the year at UCF, very successful coordinator at various schools, QB of one of our Nattys, a very good recruiter even with a poor record, a man of admiral character, popular among players and recruits, the last real football prodigy was Knute Rockne.

Reactions: zrob and jbskers
1. Frost needs to be our coach for the long haul, and we have to accept that he is not ready and live with it. This means that we are going to need to wait. A long time. Perhaps 10 years. Rotating coaches is not the answer at a place like NU. Frost understands what it means to coach here better than anyone qualified for the position, and he has seen what it takes to be at the pinnacle. However, he lacks cleverness, wisdom, and maturity, which leads to...

2. Appearances. Frost needs to grow up, starting with how he dresses. Today he dressed like he was about to go out and buck hay. He needs to look like he is in charge and serious about what he does. Then, there are the uniforms. I know it is the fashion to bring out alt uniforms (and probably a profitable marketing scheme to sell merch), but this is a team who won one game in a year. Take care of business and let success lead to swagger. Because...

3. One win is not success. After the Penn State game, 12 blackshirts were awarded. Players talked about a lightness in practice. It was like they accomplished something worth breaking out champagne. Unless their season goal was to not to go winless, they should never have treated the players like they "turned a corner", as Frost likes to say. One clear example of their need a reality check is at QB because...

4. Luke is Mickey Joseph part 2. He runs well, but he has only been effective in 1 of his last 8 quarters. Otherwise he has been average or a liability. He is electric, yes, but he is one dimensional and he will eventually get hurt (hopefully not by getting slammed into a metal bench on a late hit). Speaking of the Big 8...

5. Nebraska does not belong in the Big 10. And no, it is not because I think the Big 10 and the refs hate them-- although I do think it is true that the love is not there. Nebraska is, by far, the worst academic school. The only school not in the top 100 (currently #133). Nebraska is also geographically the farthest away, and save for Iowa, it does not compete for recruits well in Big 10 states. We are also the second smallest school by a healthy distance. We would be in the middle in the Big 12 but have lost footing in this region, which means...

6. The next recruiting class is not good. Yes, Rivals ranks it as top 20 at present and yes, it features Fidone. But overall it looks very pedestrian. And what happened to the 6 JUCO recruits we brought in this year with much hullabaloo? Only Payne has done much of anything and the season is half over.
H

Frost is the only coach in America that Nebraska would commit to more than 5 years. Why? Native son, Coach of the year at UCF, very successful coordinator at various schools, QB of one of our Nattys, a very good recruiter even with a poor record, a man of admiral character, popular among players and recruits, the last real football prodigy was Knute Rockne.

What about Pat Fitzgerald..

How do you explain what he did at UCF and why isn't that working here? IMO a lot comes back to leadership and execution from the QB position. I will also note that they had some tremendous senior leaders on defense. Milton could get his team in to the right play and make the quick decisions in the offense correctly. We're not seeing that out of Luke or Adrian.

We have TWO guys at QB who only started/starred for one year at QB in high school trying to run our offense. By contrast, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio State, and yes even MIchigan have starting QBs were the top QB recruits nationally who starred at their large high schools for multiple years.
Why is this so hard? Athletes that run a 4.4 are different than athletes that run a 4.7. There aren’t quick twitch athletes going to come to Neb. UCF would run circles around us. Your only solution is to quit thinking SF is in Flo where their backups are faster than our starters. Stick to the Wisc plan and run with big ugly’s. Accept 2 or 3 losses a year and boring football. At least you compete and possibly win a conf championship every 12 to 15 years.

I love how the B1G is always on the short list of problems like we could have beaten ISU or Kansas playing like that. In what conference can we play like dog shit and win titles exactly?
For me, it is not about changing conferences so we can compete better in football. I think it is more about how we don't fit in with the other schools and its region like we did in the Big 8/12. We don't even recruit in that area. When you consider size, academics, and such, it reinforces that it just isn't a good fit. To some degree, our poor match was at the heart of pandemic shut down disagreement as well.

Nevertheless, I am also not going to beat the drum to exit the Big 10. It is turning out to be a bad decision that NU has to somehow live with, at least for the time being.

Reactions: Baxter48
I'll add something else. We have no killer instinct on this team. How many times was there a loose ball on the ground or in the air, and Illinois came up with the ball instead of us? It happened every time. No one plays with a sense of urgency on this team. No one makes the extra bit of effort needed to get a stop on third down, or on the offensive end, set a block at the second level that will spring a guy forward for a chunk of yards.

Yesterdays game reminds me when I was a kid my brother had one of those vibrating football games and 50% of the players just circles 25% would be running backwards 24% not really moving and 1% going foreword It was fun as a kid but actually seeing it from your favorite college football team makes me want to puke.

1. Frost needs to be our coach for the long haul, and we have to accept that he is not ready and live with it. This means that we are going to need to wait. A long time. Perhaps 10 years. Rotating coaches is not the answer at a place like NU. Frost understands what it means to coach here better than anyone qualified for the position, and he has seen what it takes to be at the pinnacle. However, he lacks cleverness, wisdom, and maturity, which leads to...

2. Appearances. Frost needs to grow up, starting with how he dresses. Today he dressed like he was about to go out and buck hay. He needs to look like he is in charge and serious about what he does. Then, there are the uniforms. I know it is the fashion to bring out alt uniforms (and probably a profitable marketing scheme to sell merch), but this is a team who won one game in a year. Take care of business and let success lead to swagger. Because...

3. One win is not success. After the Penn State game, 12 blackshirts were awarded. Players talked about a lightness in practice. It was like they accomplished something worth breaking out champagne. Unless their season goal was to not to go winless, they should never have treated the players like they "turned a corner", as Frost likes to say. One clear example of their need a reality check is at QB because...

4. Luke is Mickey Joseph part 2. He runs well, but he has only been effective in 1 of his last 8 quarters. Otherwise he has been average or a liability. He is electric, yes, but he is one dimensional and he will eventually get hurt (hopefully not by getting slammed into a metal bench on a late hit). Speaking of the Big 8...

5. Nebraska does not belong in the Big 10. And no, it is not because I think the Big 10 and the refs hate them-- although I do think it is true that the love is not there. Nebraska is, by far, the worst academic school. The only school not in the top 100 (currently #133). Nebraska is also geographically the farthest away, and save for Iowa, it does not compete for recruits well in Big 10 states. We are also the second smallest school by a healthy distance. We would be in the middle in the Big 12 but have lost footing in this region, which means...

6. The next recruiting class is not good. Yes, Rivals ranks it as top 20 at present and yes, it features Fidone. But overall it looks very pedestrian. And what happened to the 6 JUCO recruits we brought in this year with much hullabaloo? Only Payne has done much of anything and the season is half over.
Finally somebody brings up the fact that Frost does not present himself professionally. This does not mean sut and tie and all that...I'm talking identity. Wear something consistent. This man wears different hat every day of the week with some random hoodie. Look at any tenured successful coach. They are consistent in how they present themselves. Frost looks like a Truck driver on the sidelines.

Finally somebody brings up the fact that Frost does not present himself professionally. This does not mean sut and tie and all that...I'm talking identity. Wear something consistent. This man wears different hat every day of the week with some random hoodie. Look at any tenured successful coach. They are consistent in how they present themselves. Frost looks like a Truck driver on the sidelines.

Hey buddy what do you have against truck drivers ?

I have family that happen to drive trucks for living and you should be happy they do.

I'll add something else. We have no killer instinct on this team. How many times was there a loose ball on the ground or in the air, and Illinois came up with the ball instead of us? It happened every time. No one plays with a sense of urgency on this team. No one makes the extra bit of effort needed to get a stop on third down, or on the offensive end, set a block at the second level that will spring a guy forward for a chunk of yards.
this ^^^^

This is ridiculous

I think this guy and his team has done “ok” despite his press conference fashion sense. Winking

Bill-Belichick-ragged-hoody.v1-850x478.jpg

Why is this so hard? Athletes that run a 4.4 are different than athletes that run a 4.7. There aren’t quick twitch athletes going to come to Neb. UCF would run circles around us. Your only solution is to quit thinking SF is in Flo where their backups are faster than our starters. Stick to the Wisc plan and run with big ugly’s. Accept 2 or 3 losses a year and boring football. At least you compete and possibly win a conf championship every 12 to 15 years.
Except that we've got some of those "quick twitch" guys in this last class like Betts. The transfer from Iowa who played his first game yesterday is a stud. We've got some speed now. The RB with the most speed unfortunately is out with an injury. McCaffrey is a burner. Tom was able to recruit fast WRs and RBs. Hell Bo did too. Riley did it as well.

I think this guy and his team has done “ok” despite his press conference fashion sense. Winking

Bill-Belichick-ragged-hoody.v1-850x478.jpg
Never dressed like that before he was winning championships. Go back and look at his interviews from 90's/early 2000's. Either way it isnt a huge issue...was just pointing out that this was the first time I had seem someone discuss it on the board. And no I dont have anything against truck drivers cmon now.

Never dressed like that before he was winning championships. Go back and look at his interviews from 90's/early 2000's. Either way it isnt a huge issue...was just pointing out that this was the first time I had seem someone discuss it on the board. And no I dont have anything against truck drivers cmon now.
How do you account for all the losers who wore a 3-piece suit and a hat on the sidelines?

Thinking Scott's wardrobe matters at all to anything other than your sensibilities is hilarious. The only thing his appearance tells us is the guy doesn't sleep. Maybe THAT'S worth looking into, there are proven links between sleep deprivation and poor decision making.

Reactions: dinglefritz
How do you account for all the losers who wore a 3-piece suit and a hat on the sidelines?

Thinking Scott's wardrobe matters at all to anything other than your sensibilities is hilarious. The only thing his appearance tells us is the guy doesn't sleep. Maybe THAT'S worth looking into, there are proven links between sleep deprivation and poor decision making.
I think when Bill started in coaching EVERYBODY was wearing suits on the sidelines. Now? Not so much. It's kind of like working in an office today. EVERYBODY right down to the kid who emptied the garbage wore at least a tie. Those days are gone.

Reactions: TheBeav815
6) I disagree with this 10 fold. We NEED local guys. They play harder and transfer a lot less often. Our turnover rate has led to the problems we see today with veteran depth.

Yep.

There is no debate that Frost is a grinder. Hell, when he took this job, he stayed on to coach UCF through the bowl game, recruited a transition class full time, and started his duties here -- all at once.

Something is amiss for that to not have shown up on the field yet.

I think when Bill started in coaching EVERYBODY was wearing suits on the sidelines. Now? Not so much. It's kind of like working in an office today. EVERYBODY right down to the kid who emptied the garbage wore at least a tie. Those days are gone.
Yes they are. We're at a point where even my work's dress code of slacks and a polo seems stupid and arbitrary. Dress up M-Th for the same people you see on Friday, when it's ok to be in jeans and a t-shirt...you know because it's Friday.

We don't get visitors except a couple times a year. What, am I incapable of being lazy in a pair of dress shoes, or is it that I can't work hard in jeans?

If you would have seen my original post i mentioned that i wasn't talking about wearing a suit or anything like that. I was simply talking about the fact that he wears random outfits to every game and interview. Was just speaking in terms of brand identity. I do agree he looks awfully tired and stressed. Hope he is doing good mentally, honestly.

Except that we've got some of those "quick twitch" guys in this last class like Betts. The transfer from Iowa who played his first game yesterday is a stud. We've got some speed now. The RB with the most speed unfortunately is out with an injury. McCaffrey is a burner. Tom was able to recruit fast WRs and RBs. Hell Bo did too. Riley did it as well.
Fast doesn't help when the lines don't block or tackle.

This is one reason I was skeptical of Frost even when the "new coach smell" was fresh. His teams at UCF were fast-strike offenses, but terrible at defense. He has never put a premium on O-line OR D-line play, and if you don't do that in the Big 10 and when the Midwest weather gets cold and nasty, you aren't going to succeed. Until or unless Frost decides to play "big boy" football - his teams are going to get bullied and pushed around. Even by teams like Illinois.

Frost seems to like flash over fundamentals. That is why he struggles.

Jojo, Reimer and Wandale have the fire. LM does. Not a single lineman is picking fights that I can tell.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Frost still wants to be thought of as a player and athlete. He wants the players and others to know he can still play.

Remember him running plays down at UCF to show them how the option was supposed to look?

So it very well could be that Frost is not hard enough on his players. Probably lets them get away with all kinds of crap, because he doesn't want to be seen as the authoritarian.

It would explain the lack of discipline and focus on the team.

• Haha
Reactions: jbskers
I agree. We’ve been Kansas for a couple of years. We’re looking at our 4th losing season in a row? I can think of a single position group that tells me it’s going to be better by year 7.

Based on how the program is trending, I honestly dont believe Frost is the guy. He should get his time, but I can't see it. You go thru position group by position group and I see regression.

I thought after the Illinois loss, if Frost gives up OC duties and fires who... Well,I came to the conclusion he would have to fire most of his staff. That's not going to happen in a timely manner. We play Michigan, Oklahoma, Ohio St, Wisconsin etc.. next year. We are ranked in the 100's in offensive and defensive rankings. This staff is going to figure it out over the spring and summer? That's not how they're trending.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Fast doesn't help when the lines don't block or tackle.

This is one reason I was skeptical of Frost even when the "new coach smell" was fresh. His teams at UCF were fast-strike offenses, but terrible at defense. He has never put a premium on O-line OR D-line play, and if you don't do that in the Big 10 and when the Midwest weather gets cold and nasty, you aren't going to succeed. Until or unless Frost decides to play "big boy" football - his teams are going to get bullied and pushed around. Even by teams like Illinois.

Frost seems to like flash over fundamentals. That is why he struggles.
I agree here. Seemed like they made a killing for one year on "By the time you know you've been tricked, it's already too late."

Now they're not tricking anyone and they don't know what to do.

They baffled the kinds of defensive minds you find on the field and the sideline in a bottom tier conference. The big boys who make big bucks have the scheme figured out well enough to stop it cold and the NU offense can't keep them honest.

You guys are hilarious 😆 you were talking all your sh!t 3 years ago that SF was your “messiah “! What happened w that? Now you’re ready to dump him lol.
Your biggest problem is you aren’t accepting your new place in CFB. You’re just not a national brand anymore . It’s really that simple. Yeah you’ll respond with well at least we had a past blah blah blah, but this isn’t about Iowa . I’m not delusional enough to say Iowa isn’t anything but what they are, An above average to occasionally good team that does it the right way and puts lots of players in the NFL. This is about where Nebraska is as a program. Maybe if you actually had some humility and stop acting liked entitled spoiled brats the conference might be able to stomach your program and stop hating you . Somehow I doubt that will happen.

You guys are hilarious 😆 you were talking all your sh!t 3 years ago that SF was your “messiah “! What happened w that? Now you’re ready to dump him lol.
Your biggest problem is you aren’t accepting your new place in CFB. You’re just not a national brand anymore . It’s really that simple. Yeah you’ll respond with well at least we had a past blah blah blah, but this isn’t about Iowa . I’m not delusional enough to say Iowa isn’t anything but what they are, An above average to occasionally good team that does it the right way and puts lots of players in the NFL. This is about where Nebraska is as a program. Maybe if you actually had some humility and stop acting liked entitled spoiled brats the conference might be able to stomach your program and stop hating you . Somehow I doubt that will happen.
Since when is blatant and persistent racism the right way???

Are you desperate for attention? Take your bloated, welfare cashing, pig ****ing self back to your NAMBLA board. Iowa isn't a good football team just so you understand. Beat it, and no more bold bullshit rants, clown.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Are you desperate for attention? Take your bloated, welfare cashing, pig ****ing self back to your NAMBLA board. Iowa isn't a good football team just so you understand. Beat it, and no more bold bullshit rants, clown.
Oooh struck a nerve did I? 🤣🤣Iowa may be mediocre but Nebraska is worse lol. It kills you to admit it but that’s fact. Lol at least you have women’s volleyball to fall back on. Oh and by the way you described 3/4 of your own states population.

Yet here you are.

Why do you care so much? Serious question, otherwise you wouldn't be here posting every day. Your girlfriend dome up some Husker fan while you were in your mom's basement posting on a message board?

Oooh struck a nerve did I? 🤣🤣Iowa may be mediocre but Nebraska is worse lol. It kills you to admit it but that’s fact. Lol at least you have women’s volleyball to fall back on. Oh and by the way you described 3/4 of your own states population.
Curious since I’m not an Iowa fan (and apparently you do things the right way)....Does Ferentz make the black players drink from a separate drinking fountain?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT