ADVERTISEMENT

5 Spots Left

DudznSudz

Senior
Feb 4, 2016
Well guys, it looks like we lost Fuller and Bleich just committed to UCLA. On top of that, it looks like Blades IS coming (YAY!) and so far, my guess is Watts matriculates as well.

So, for the sake of discussion, let's assume we have exactly 5 spots left.

In my mind, we pick up Trey Stratford at OT (huge get, probably just as good as Bleich), which leaves 4 spots left.

I think we take 1-2 WR, 1-2 DB's, and 1 D lineman/OLB.

Thoughts on who we are "most likely" to land, and who we may try real hard to swing for the fences on over the next few months?

Much appreciated!

Stratford- OL
Tutt - DB
Carson DL
2 WRs of the several we are chasing.

I like Stratford a lot. Pernell seems to as well, saying he is versatile enough to play all three OL positions.

Reactions: BroskiRed
I don't think Watts makes it and heads to JUCO. I've heard he needed to get a pretty substantial jump in test score.

Culpepper is a guy to watch for a commitment. IMHO

So Tuco, that means we actually have 6 spots available...

Do you think Avery comes back into the picture?

Do you think we are able to get Brown back?

I don't think Watts makes it and heads to JUCO. I've heard he needed to get a pretty substantial jump in test score.

Culpepper is a guy to watch for a commitment. IMHO

You think we'll take Culpepper and Carson if Watts is a JUCO?

I think Brown has a shot at recommitment. He's bringing his parents to camp I think.

Reactions: DudznSudz
I was JUST about to ask that! Ha!

Man, the idea of taking two damn strong DE's in this class is making me crack a big ass smile.

I had asked before, so it doesn't seem like Avery is an option.

So I'm hoping for 2/3 of Carson, Culpepper and lord help us, Parsons.

I think Brown has a shot at recommitment. He's bringing his parents to camp I think.

That's awesome!

I think if we were to hey Brown back in, that would mean 3 elite WR's and we could potentially call the position finished, right? If not, who would be a 4th WR we'd want?

I know we're still looking for 1 Safety and 1 DB...anyone potentially on our radar for a commit this weekend?

I had asked before, so it doesn't seem like Avery is an option.

So I'm hoping for 2/3 of Carson, Culpepper and lord help us, Parsons.

Oh dude, if we land Parsons, I'll lose my GD mind and name my firstborn John Parella.

Oh dude, if we land Parsons, I'll lose my GD mind and name my firstborn John Parella.

I think Bray has been his lead for a while but I could be mistaken (Bray had been tweeting out about working day and night on Parson to camp). Not that big John hasn't been involved. Personally I'm hoping Diaco's energy and plan to build the D around him seals the deal in a miracle play.

That's awesome!

I think if we were to hey Brown back in, that would mean 3 elite WR's and we could potentially call the position finished, right? If not, who would be a 4th WR we'd want?

I know we're still looking for 1 Safety and 1 DB...anyone potentially on our radar for a commit this weekend?

We have 3/4 DB's. Its between Tutt and Griffith and possibly Jordan Moore for that last slot I think before we move onto plan B type of guys.

I think Bray has been his lead for a while but I could be mistaken (Bray had been tweeting out about working day and night on Parson to camp). Not that big John hasn't been involved. Personally I'm hoping Diaco's energy and plan to build the D around him seals the deal in a miracle play.

Yeah, you know, I've been very impressed with both Parella and Bray as recruiters; they find guys they really want and they generally have a good track record of landing them. I want to see what adding Diaco as the D coordinator into the mix helps them accomplish; you would think that with a guy like that around, landing elite D linemen and LB's would become more and more common. I'm excluding the DB's from this conversation because clearly, you don't need anyone other than Donte Williams recruiting them, ever, and you'll always land top recruits.

Yeah, you know, I've been very impressed with both Parella and Bray as recruiters; they find guys they really want and they generally have a good track record of landing them. I want to see what adding Diaco as the D coordinator into the mix helps them accomplish; you would think that with a guy like that around, landing elite D linemen and LB's would become more and more common. I'm excluding the DB's from this conversation because clearly, you don't need anyone other than Donte Williams recruiting them, ever, and you'll always land top recruits.

And folks were concerned about safety recruiting when we hired Diaco's old mentor.

I believe Carson is the top choice, I'm just not sure he comes to Nebraska. I think Culpepper is 1A and if he wants to commit, it will be tough to tell him no.

Reactions: kakdawg
I believe Carson is the top choice, I'm just not sure he comes to Nebraska. I think Culpepper is 1A and if he wants to commit, it will be tough to tell him no.

Concur, I don't think Carson is viewed as the type of recruit you turn away a 4* for.

Yes I think we can pretty safely assume the class is at a 16 minimum now.

I think the Avery ship has sailed.

I think it's possible to get Brown back, but I have doubts because if he just wanted to get his parents to the campus, why not do that before decommitting?

I think it's possible to get Brown back, but I have doubts because if he just wanted to get his parents to the campus, why not do that before decommitting?

Maybe the timing of it didn't work out?

Maybe he's also a 17 year old dingus who was wowed by Alan Thicke's team, oops, I mean Urban Meyer, but upon revisiting with his parents may change his mind? Especially with Moore having just committed. Just random thoughts, not sure about whether or not we get him back or even want him back at this point.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers

Also, Tuco, if all of the DB's we're considering, do you think we have the best shot at Tutt? He's had like 1 or 2 CB predictions go our way recently, and the guy looks like a monster.

I'm reading Griffith to FSU is much more likely than him to us right now.

Also, Tuco, if all of the DB's we're considering, do you think we have the best shot at Tutt? He's had like 1 or 2 CB predictions go our way recently, and the guy looks like a monster.

I'm reading Griffith to FSU is much more likely than him to us right now.

I like Tutt. I think a lot rides on this weekend's visit.

I think if Brown re-commits, our chances at Carson go up as well. Those Missouri guys are all close. I want Tutt as bad as anyone but when Sumlin gets fired, you know Jordan will be looking around and we'll be at the top of the list. Would we take 5 dbs if Tutt, mario, bookie, & chase are already N and Jordan wants N late?

I hope Cav makes Stratford his #1 priority cuz I think that kid is gunna be good. Plus one of his teammates is Theo Wesson 5.9 WR for next yr.

I'm hoping we end with Stratford, Carsons, Tutt, Kobe, Graham roberts(? Has that ship sailed) and Jordan. I want Parsons obviously but I think our chances are very slim.

I think if Brown re-commits, our chances at Carson go up as well. Those Missouri guys are all close. I want Tutt as bad as anyone but when Sumlin gets fired, you know Jordan will be looking around and we'll be at the top of the list. Would we take 5 dbs if Tutt, mario, bookie, & chase are already N and Jordan wants N late?

I hope Cav makes Stratford his #1 priority cuz I think that kid is gunna be good. Plus one of his teammates is Theo Wesson 5.9 WR for next yr.

I'm hoping we end with Stratford, Carsons, Tutt, Kobe, Graham roberts(? Has that ship sailed) and Jordan. I want Parsons obviously but I think our chances are very slim.

I really like the idea of taking Roberts, but we don't really "need" a back in the 2018 class and I would say only take him if we have 16 spots and are just looking to grab a decent guy to throw into the mix.

Tuco has been pretty articulate about why taking him just to take him isn't really the best idea ever, especially this early in the recruiting process. Who knows WHO we could land over the next 7-8 months.

I'd still be shocked when all is said and done if we don't end up taking at least 18 this class. There's always going to be a couple of people leaving early, whether its for the draft or lack of playing time. This will be one year I'll almost be happy to hear of a couple of transfers.

I'd still be shocked when all is said and done if we don't end up taking at least 18 this class. There's always going to be a couple of people leaving early, whether its for the draft or lack of playing time. This will be one year I'll almost be happy to hear of a couple of transfers.

Its entirely possible that we don't actually have Watts show up as a Husker, and that we lose 1 or 2 other players, but I would say taking 17-18 maximum is very realistic, while taking 16 is what I am just assuming is going to happen.

Its entirely possible that we don't actually have Watts show up as a Husker, and that we lose 1 or 2 other players, but I would say taking 17-18 maximum is very realistic, while taking 16 is what I am just assuming is going to happen.

The crap shoot is always the timing of the players leaving or transferring. If they don't leave before this season, or immediately after, it is almost impossible to fill those scholarships in the 2018 cycle. Look at Johnson and Hannon if you want examples of how the timing affects the classes.

Nd was able to land some 5* type DEs while Diaco was there (Tuitt, Lynch, Ishaq Williams, etc.). They didn't all pan out for them but that kinda talent up front is how you win big. Would be great if that translated here and he could get Parsons or other cream of the crop d linemen.

There was time not long ago where we were wondering if we could slow play Jordan and still get Josh. Because we had other guys on the hook.

IMO, I really doubt we take Jordan if we have those 4 DBs.

The crap shoot is always the timing of the players leaving or transferring. If they don't leave before this season, or immediately after, it is almost impossible to fill those scholarships in the 2018 cycle. Look at Johnson and Hannon if you want examples of how the timing affects the classes.

Grahm and Jordan Moore's chances probably go up if we are late late scrambling. Poaching other recruits would be a lot harder at a real late date if we somehow open up 2 slots.

Dont they live on the opposite sides of the state?
Possibly. All those Missouri guys are close on social media. I'm just saying it can't hurt to have 2 guys in this class from Missouri (Mario & Brown).

Grahm and Jordan Moore's chances probably go up if we are late late scrambling. Poaching other recruits would be a lot harder at a real late date if we somehow open up 2 slots.

Correct, but Johnson and Hannon left after signing day 2017. Those arent extra scholarships as they were already included in the 2018 numbers. So now we have 2 scholarships that could have been used in 2017 (with better timing) but now will go unused or awarded to a walk on for a year.

Correct, but Johnson and Hannon left after signing day 2017. Those arent extra scholarships as they were already included in the 2018 numbers. So now we have 2 scholarships that could have been used in 2017 (with better timing) but now will go unused or awarded to a walk on for a year.

From one Mexican to another, thank you for the insight and embiggening my mind :)

Edit: Full disclosure...I'm only half :)

Heyo! Tutt just got two more N CB predictions!

Booker is taking over the safeties from Elliott, who is stepping back to have more of a behind-the-scenes role.

I welcome the move, as Booker is young and one of Diaco's ND guys, while Elliott could better use his experience in a more secondary role as a senior analyst with the program.

Stratford- OL
Tutt - DB
Carson DL
2 WRs of the several we are chasing.

I like Stratford a lot. Pernell seems to as well, saying he is versatile enough to play all three OL positions.

Just like you predicted, Tutt is starting to see his N CB predictions roll in. 3 just happened, and he's now 40% (lead) N. He must have tweeted something?

Looks GOOD for our FNL coming up!

LFG. I welcome the move as well. Booker is will be an upgrade in recruiting as well. GBR

Concur, I don't think Carson is viewed as the type of recruit you turn away a 4* for.

Carson is as good a DE in the 3-4 defense in the country. He is THAT good.

Problem is if you dont like your chances of signing him and you have another guy who is damn close who wants N you take him.

I like Culpepper a ton. I just think Carson may be a bit better(not sure the coaches feel that way) BUT no way you turn down Culpepper if he wants N.

holla

Ok, so, we now have minimum 16 spots open, as Greg Simmons has just left the program. That's unfortunate, as I think he could have been a really great LB, but he thankfully did it early enough to get us back a scholarship to give in 2018.

Thoughts on who we pick up now?

Also, Johnson Jr.'s scholarship stays with him during a leave of absence, and I want that, anyway, as we really need him back and kicking ass once he gets through with his reality check.

Reactions: c3ntral08
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT