ADVERTISEMENT

5 plays

spinner4

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
This team was five plays away from being 9-3. 5 losses by 5 or less points. Out of hundreds of plays ran this season, to some, the difference between this season being a major success and a disappointment was 5 plays.

1. Colorado- the easy one to see. Reed’s personal foul.
  2. Troy- the punt return. There was a pretty blatant block In the back on that return that wasn’t called. Troys offense really didn’t do anything that day and I believe if they call the block in the back, we’d win that game
  3. NW- I’ll stay away from the penalty theme, though I think we were cheated here too, but we stop either of the 4th down conversions NW made at the end of the game, we obviously win
  4. Ohio State- so many what ifs. The block punt, Lightbourns awful kick off. But the play that would have won us the game in my opinion is JD’s drop in the 3rd Q. He scores on that play if he catches it and we go up 12 or even 13. I think that play was the difference
  5. Iowa- obviously that 4th down. I think even Ferentz believes that if they don’t get that 4th down, they’d lose the game. A team doesn’t go for 4th & 8 @ Home if they think they can win in OT. That was a do or die play. They don’t convert, the chances of us winning over them swings to like 90%
The point of this post? Just to show you naysayers how different our record really could have looked on such a little amount of football. 5 plays.

This team was five plays away from being 9-3. 5 losses by 5 or less points. Out of hundreds of plays ran this season, to some, the difference between this season being a major success and a disappointment was 5 plays.

2. Troy- the punt return. There was a pretty blatant block In the back on that return that wasn’t called. Troys offense really didn’t do anything that day and I believe if they call the block in the back, we’d win that game
  3. NW- I’ll stay away from the penalty theme, though I think we were cheated here too, but we stop either of the 4th down conversions NW made at the end of the game, we obviously win
  4. Ohio State- so many what ifs. The block punt, Lightbourns awful kick off. But the play that would have won us the game in my opinion is JD’s drop in the 3rd Q. He scores on that play if he catches it and we go up 12 or even 13. I think that play was the difference
  5. Iowa- obviously that 4th down. I think even Ferentz believes that if they don’t get that 4th down, they’d lose the game. A team doesn’t go for 4th & 8 @ Home if they think they can win in OT. That was a do or die play. They don’t convert, the chances of us winning over them swings to like 90%
The point of this post? Just to show you naysayers how different our record really could have looked on such a little amount of football. 5 plays.
Why does everyone dismiss Purdue as the only thing that kept us from winning that game was 11 penalties and all of the untimely miscues. Ziggy had 170 yards rushing in that game and Martinez had 323 yards passing with 1 TD and 91 yards rushing and 582 yards of total offense. Purdue only had 518 yards of total Offense. We had 323 yards passing and 259 yards rushing. That's dominance. We gave them that game as we left points all over the field and those penalties cost us at least 28 points in that game. We literally kicked their ass and the score is very scewed by what by what actually happened in that game. That game was ours to lose, and we did!

Last edited:
Reactions: spinner4
Why does everyone dismiss Purdue as the only thing that kept us from winning that game was 11 penalties. Ziggy had 170 yards rushing in that game and Martinez had 323 yards passing with 1 TD and 91 yards rushing and 582 yards of total offense. Purdue only had 518 yards of total Offense. We had 323 yards passing and 259 yards rushing. That's dominance. We gave them that game as we left points all over the field and those penalties cost us at least 28 points in that game. We literally kicked their ass and the score is very scewed by what by what actually happened in that game.

Oh, I don’t dismiss that. Just harder to justify since we lost by 2 scores

Reactions: baseball31ne
Oh, I don’t dismiss that. Just harder to justify since we lost by 2 scores
In all actuality it is justified as everyone saw and know's we gave that game to them, gift wrapped and sealed. Even the national media types were saying that and as well we were favored in that game. That game was also Rondale's lowest production game all season as he was only held to 85 yards, and no one has held him to or under that amount this entire season.

Last edited:
If there isnt lightning this is an 8 win team

Agree. That rainout was the buzzkill of the century. The hangover lasted longer than it should. How different the season would have been....

That said - a friend of mine made this point - that without the team bottoming out early in the year, the culture shift may not have taken root. So maybe it was a necessary evil to suffer through this season so that the program can completely change course.

In all actuality it is justified as everyone saw and know's we gave that game to them, gift wrapped and sealed. Even the national media types were saying that and as well we were favored in that game. That game was also Rondale's lowest production game all season as he was only held to 85 yards, and no one has held him to or under that amount this entire season.
Except for Iowa... they held him to 31 yards

You realize we won 4 games against 2nd string QBs correct? We aren’t a few plays away. Not even close.

Except for Iowa... they held him to 31 yards
Isn't that the game he was playing hurt as he got hurt the week before. It was one of those weeks. and if so, it really doesn't count as we played against a 100% Rondale Moore. Just checked and yes! Don't count as he hardly played in the game.

Didn't we recently read the same type of post from an Iowa fan that stated they were 4 plays away from being 12-0? I don't think that post was well received. Yet here we are.

If we were a 9-3 team we wouldn't have been in a position to potentially lose most of those games in the first place. If we were a 9-3 team, we would have made most of the plays mentioned. We're obviously not good enough to be a 9-3 team. Not even close.

Most football games can be decided by a few plays. Good teams make em. We learned this year. A culture was laid. I'm betting we win a few of those type of games next year.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Except those plays didn't happen and we're
4-8. These could should woulda threads are pathetic.
Then don’t read them. What’s pathetic is when people respond to post that don’t interest them. Seriously, you don’t have to respond. You could easily just ignore it

The only dominating team we played this year was Michigan. That should prove to everyone the opportunity ahead for Nebraska

Really? Using your logic it also points to how poor we are. You can't have it both ways.

Reality is a pain I know but someday ya gotta face it. Losers make all the excuses about a play here and there and forget about the 90+ yard drives and the numerous 3rd down conversions every week that out this team in bad positions.

The difference between winning and losing is very small, the difference between winning and dominating is huge. We have a long ways to go in with departments.

Should a could a woulda

Really? Using your logic it also points to how poor we are. You can't have it both ways.

Reality is a pain I know but someday ya gotta face it. Losers make all the excuses about a play here and there and forget about the 90+ yard drives and the numerous 3rd down conversions every week that out this team in bad positions.

The difference between winning and losing is very small, the difference between winning and dominating is huge. We have a long ways to go in with departments.

Thank you... this is correct

ADVERTISEMENT