ADVERTISEMENT

5* DT Tyler Shelvin

What I like is he mentioned school itself and not just football being very important to him. He wants to go to a school with a good business program.

Reactions: TheBeav815
What I like is he mentioned school itself and not just football being very important to him. He wants to go to a school with a good business program.

Agreed, that is a good sign and bodes well for us, since we can promote our history of student athletes. It's also somewhat rare for recruits of this caliber to say things like that. Most are narrowly focused on making it to the NFL, so I'm glad to hear that Tyler seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Agreed, that is a good sign and bodes well for us, since we can promote our history of student athletes. It's also somewhat rare for recruits of this caliber to say things like that. Most are narrowly focused on making it to the NFL, so I'm glad to hear that Tyler seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
Can also promote a new $84 million dollar CBA building and a fairly accessible CBA Honors Academy program.

I'm finding it less rare (actually a bit common) that top level guys kids are saying stuff like this...the real question is if they mean it or not. On the one hand I now think the kids are more prepped to deal with the interviews and do make sure to put themselves in the best light possible. But on the other hand these kids didn't become 5*s by being lazy...they are high achievers and that work ethic can carry over to things off the football field.

I don't want to make it seem like all these kids are future Rhodes Scholars or would go to Stanford if accepted but for many it is not just lip service. An interesting case was Da'shawn Hand, the #1 player from 3 years ago. He claimed academics would be the deciding factor which is why he chose....wait for it...Bama. So it was all about FB in the end...or was it? He wanted to take engineering and his other finalist told him it required him to apply separately and the chances of him getting in were slim. Bama had him meet with the Dean of the engineering school on his visit. So sure, he picked a school more known for football than academics but I kind of believe that academics played some role even if it was not as big as he made it out to be in interviews.

I'm finding it less rare (actually a bit common) that top level guys kids are saying stuff like this...the real question is if they mean it or not. On the one hand I now think the kids are more prepped to deal with the interviews and do make sure to put themselves in the best light possible. But on the other hand these kids didn't become 5*s by being lazy...they are high achievers and that work ethic can carry over to things off the football field.

I don't want to make it seem like all these kids are future Rhodes Scholars or would go to Stanford if accepted but for many it is not just lip service. An interesting case was Da'shawn Hand, the #1 player from 3 years ago. He claimed academics would be the deciding factor which is why he chose....wait for it...Bama. So it was all about FB in the end...or was it? He wanted to take engineering and his other finalist told him it required him to apply separately and the chances of him getting in were slim. Bama had him meet with the Dean of the engineering school on his visit. So sure, he picked a school more known for football than academics but I kind of believe that academics played some role even if it was not as big as he made it out to be in interviews.

You would have a better sense than me, I think, because it's not like Nebraska has been in on this level of talent in the recent past.

I'm not sure they actually believe it either or are just paying lip service. That's interesting about Hand. Shelvin could be really committed to pursuing a business degree, or its something his mother/father want him to say. I like our chances more, of course, if his desire to pursue a business degree is genuine.

You would have a better sense than me, I think, because it's not like Nebraska has been in on this level of talent in the recent past.

I'm not sure they actually believe it either or are just paying lip service. That's interesting about Hand. Shelvin could be really committed to pursuing a business degree, or its something his mother/father want him to say. I like our chances more, of course, if his desire to pursue a business degree is genuine.
The way I look at it is it's like that guy who claims what he really wants to find is a woman with a great sense of humor, who is self sufficient and can hold a conversation...the guy really means it when he says it but at the end of the day he always seem to end up with the bimbo with a big chest who can't figure how much change she is supposed to get when paying for a 99 cent item with a dollar.

On a less harsh note, I actually think that more kids mean it than given credit for...just not in the way we think about it. They aren't saying they are looking at the US News & World Report and making decisions based on academic prestige. They are looking at things like academic support, can they get a real degree, can they graduate. etc. One of the more underrated parts (by fans and imo) of a school's pitch is the academic support presentation. And support is the key word as it's about if there is a real plan and resources to get the kid through classes. Sure sometimes kids just want to hear that their studies won't get in the way of FB but I do believe there are a good number who at least want to check the box of what happens when the football part of their life is over.

I've watched his two interviews and there is just something about how he talks about Nebraska. He seems to be very intrigued and that has to be good for us.

If we get him on campus, I think we have a legit shot at him. I was in Louisiana last week and their budget is in absolute crisis mode. If he is serious about academics and sees the new CBA and our athletic facilities he will give us a strong look. Plus, there are kids who want to set their own path and not follow where everyone expects them to go. He may be one of those kids. I'm just glad we are in on him. Go JP!

He called Orgeron "a 2nd dad" in his interview with HOL so it's definitely an uphill battle for his commitment.

Can Suh and Warren Buffett coincidentally cross paths with him while he's in Lincoln?

He called Orgeron "a 2nd dad" in his interview with HOL so it's definitely an uphill battle for his commitment.

Who is this Orgeron guy? "A 2nd dad", pretty strong words for a recruit to use in describing somebody. Oh well, only an idiot would think this Orgeron guy would have been a better choice than Hank Hughes, only an idiot.

All kidding aside, I don't know what kind of chances we have for getting Shelvin. I saw some article that says he's actively helping to recruit to LSU, and to me, that sounds like a pretty strong commitment. Maybe a little shock-and-awe + Parella magic and Shelvin will reconsider.

ADVERTISEMENT