ADVERTISEMENT

4th down

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
I have seen a lot of talk about NU's final 3rd down play, but I haven't heard anything about our final 4th down play (I don't live in Nebraska, so maybe I have just missed it). What are the thoughts? It was 4th and 7, and we could have attempted a field goal, punted, or go for it. We go for it and get nothing. Seems to me, so much could go wrong in going for it; it was the worst choice of the three. Sam was punting great and most likely would have put them inside the 20. A field goal would have put the game away. Of course, getting a first down would have put the game away, but statistically that has the lowest odds.

Reactions: SDhusker12
If we punt and get a touchback, we basically only gain 7 yards and risk a block. If Erstad try a FG, we are kicking into a pretty heavy wind and Brown would have to drive the ball low and risk a block, scoop and score. I have no issue going for it on 4th down. Should have only been 10-15 seconds left tho.

If we punt and get a touchback, we basically only gain 7 yards and risk a block. If Erstad try a FG, we are kicking into a pretty heavy wind and Brown would have to drive the ball low and risk a block, scoop and score. I have no issue going for it on 4th down. Should have only been 10-15 seconds left tho.

If it was 4th and short Id agree with you, but based on the day Tommy was having to be in a passing situation on 4th and 7, I would have rather seen a fg try or punt. I understand your readoning behind why you agree with going for it though...and in all reality had we attempted a fg n had it blocked we would all be asking why we didnt just go for it or punt. As is the life of a coach.

No real issue with going for it, but play action was strange. The run fake wasn't fooling anyone on 4th and 7.

We threw it to the line of scrimmage (Jankovich). How about we at least try a pass past the 1st down marker when going for it on 4th down...

GBR

Reactions: SDhusker12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT