ADVERTISEMENT

4th down defensive call

jlb321

Defensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014
A lot of discussion whether we should have been giving that much cushion.

The real issue is to send a zero blitz when they are max protect...I am sure that Reed was taught all week not to get beat deep by their TEs because those two are the big threats...could Reed really stop him by being on his hip on a seam route? It was still a 45 yard field goal at this point in the rain...the defense was O.K...and their qb was inaccurate all day...they made a play. This was not the play that cost the game...the AM pick was...as we likely score on that drive.

Agree. But it sounds like they don’t run that play if Reed is tighter. Another post said Stanley was to pooch punt if Iowa didn’t get this specific presnap look

I don't think the pick cost Nebraska the game. Iowa didn't score after the pick so Nebraska only lost time and yards. The time lost and yards lost didn't matter because the cornhuskers scored on the next drive. Unless you think they would have scored twice with an extra couple minutes on the clock.

Stanley is a pretty good pooch punter so I am sure that was the call if the look he wanted wasnt there...especially considering the time and situation. Gutsy calls by Iowa the other day; one that worked, one that almost lost them the game. Still love the Frost fake punt call at that point in the game also.

Reactions: saluno22
I don't think the pick cost Nebraska the game. Iowa didn't score after the pick so Nebraska only lost time and yards. The time lost and yards lost didn't matter because the cornhuskers scored on the next drive. Unless you think they would have scored twice with an extra couple minutes on the clock.

Any turnover inside your 30 is a big deal...that was a wasted possession so we gave away points. The next possession would have happened whether we kicked off after a td or threw and interception. They basically could not stop us at that point so every possession was going to be points unless we throw the ball into their arms. By the way I think AM is the best qb we have had.....already as a true freshman...so I think he is exceptional. Obviously Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost etc would not have done any better with this group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT