ADVERTISEMENT

49ers offense

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
Man they have got a lot of momentum going right now and they have a unique identity. Remember when Nebraska had a unique identity? I’m not talking about an Air Force option offense. I’m talking about a team that moved people around, wore them down and still won by 40 points relying on the ground game.

Read a couple lines from here and tell me you don’t wish this was the direction Nebraska should be going.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27942704/let-overreact-week-8-nfl-49ers-nfl-best-team

Kyle Shanahan is in his 3rd season as the 49ers head coach. Even if Nebraska loses the last four games this year, Scott Frost will have a slightly higher winning percentage than Shanahan did after his first two years - .333 (8-16) to .313 (10-22).

San Francisco still has the same defensive and special teams coordinators that Shanahan selected when he was hired three years ago while Shanahan continues to serve as the team's offensive coordinator. So, despite losing six games by double-digits last year en route to a 4-12 finish and going 6-10 in 2017, the exact same head coach and coordinators have led that team to a 7-0 start this season.

I wonder what was written about the 49ers at this time last year?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...who-to-blame-for-fourth-quarter-failures/amp/
*Note: The 49ers had just fell to 1-7 after having lost to the team that would pick first overall in the draft following the season (Arizona Cardinals).

Regardless, Jimmy Garappolo is now 15-2 as a starting quarterback (Big Ben started 16-1 for Pittsburgh and is the only NFL QB I could find with a better first 17 games stretch) and the 2019 49ers appear to be a case study in staying the course, bringing in better players, and trusting your system to achieve football success. I feel like that's the exact direction Nebraska is heading.

Last edited:
still pissed that Smellway opted for Vance Joseph over Kyle Shannahan for the HC job when it opened up 3 years ago. Despite his heroics as a player, he's setting the franchise back years with his ill-informed GM moves

I'm telling you, his type of ball is why you zig when everyone else zags

A physical run game out of I form with a TE and FB or two TE/FB is how you counter these new fangled defense with hybrid LBs. You punch them in the mouth and you put a more physical FB or TE on them for an easy block..

SF is killing the run game. Their offense makes Jimmy's job easy and he's doing it with 3 mediocre WRs and a baller TE

Reactions: huskerfan1000
The Niners offense has been fun to watch. But like the Patriots, the real story is a lights-out D that leads the league in yards allowed, is second in points allowed, dominates field position and TOP, creates turnovers and allows the O to play loose since they're almost always playing with a lead and/or not concerned about the D handling a quick change.

The Niners offense has been a pleasant surprise this season and can look downright scary at times as it did yesterday. But beating the Rams 20-7 wasn't because the offense is unstoppable. Same thing when they beat Bill Callahan's Redskins 9-0 (in a heavy rainstorm) and the Mason Rudolph-led Steelers 24-20.

I'm a Niners fan btw. This season has been a lot of fun so far. Love what I'm seeing on both sides of the ball. But the schedule has been very friendly. I'm curious to see what happens Weeks 12-14 when they face the Pack, @Ravens and @Saints. The Seahawks in two weeks should also be a good measure.

Bottom line as it relates to Husker comparisons, I'd much rather see NU develop a D-line and overall defense that resembles what the Niners are trotting out these days. We already have a dynamic "positionless" offense that puts up points when healthy. We need more depth and playmakers there, especially on the O-line, but we have a scheme/coach that can get it done.

But watching the Niners continually collapse the pocket with Nick Bosa running wild off the edge reminds me of the old-school Blackshirts. Not surprising given that the Niners have spent their top draft pick on a D-lineman 4 out of the last 5 years. The other year they took an OT. Build up your lines and the rest will follow.

Man they have got a lot of momentum going right now and they have a unique identity. Remember when Nebraska had a unique identity? I’m not talking about an Air Force option offense. I’m talking about a team that moved people around, wore them down and still won by 40 points relying on the ground game.

Read a couple lines from here and tell me you don’t wish this was the direction Nebraska should be going.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27942704/let-overreact-week-8-nfl-49ers-nfl-best-team
Our identity is to have no identity. Very sneaky

still pissed that Smellway opted for Vance Joseph over Kyle Shannahan for the HC job when it opened up 3 years ago. Despite his heroics as a player, he's setting the franchise back years with his ill-informed GM moves
Elway needs to be fired. Lets hope Brittany Bowlen has the stones to do it.

I made fun of my buddy who is a huge 49er fan when they drafted 3 or 4 olineman in a row that year with 1st 2nd and3rd round picks...2 or three years later they were in the superbowl.. i do agree with the above that NU needs to upgrade the trenches and fast

Reactions: dinglefritz
Elway needs to be fired. Lets hope Brittany Bowlen has the stones to do it.
Strictly rumor but I’ve heard Peyton Manning has an investor group that’s chomping at the bit to buy the Broncos...I actually think he would probably be a competent owner but that’s coming from strictly a novice fan

Bruh go watch some husker games from 85-92...we lost nearly every game against a decent team. We were 0-8 in bowl games and the idiots wanted Tom fired and Switzer in his place. Our offense was garbage in big games and people could only dream of the day a qb could hit a wide open wr more than 10 yards down field or a wr could make a tough catch.

Strictly rumor but I’ve heard Peyton Manning has an investor group that’s chomping at the bit to buy the Broncos...I actually think he would probably be a competent owner but that’s coming from strictly a novice fan
If we are going to go the Peyton Manning route. I'd like to see Polian come in as GM for a couple years and Peyton as head of football ops and eventual GM. But thats probably not realistic. Mike Shanahan would be a great hire.

Bruh go watch some husker games from 85-92...we lost nearly every game against a decent team. We were 0-8 in bowl games and the idiots wanted Tom fired and Switzer in his place. Our offense was garbage in big games and people could only dream of the day a qb could hit a wide open wr more than 10 yards down field or a wr could make a tough catch.
I’m not sure why you’re calling me bruh. I watched Nebraska games in those years and also in the years when Nebraska owned teams that had the sophisticated fun n gun offenses. What exactly was your point of this post?

Actually we did not lose games against every decent team we played. We lost to teams that were equal to us or better. We lost to one unranked team and lost twice to teams ranked more than three places below us. We beat at least 15 ranked teams and three teams ranked ahead of us. Please stop the revisionist history!

We actually lost those games not because of our offense but because of our defense, we had been built to stop Oklahomas running game and had issues with covering the passing game all over the field, when we got pass rushers and linebackers who could cover backs, combined with our power running game we were awesome, this change in direction took place after the 1991 season.

The Niners offense has been fun to watch. But like the Patriots, the real story is a lights-out D that leads the league in yards allowed, is second in points allowed, dominates field position and TOP, creates turnovers and allows the O to play loose since they're almost always playing with a lead and/or not concerned about the D handling a quick change.

The Niners offense has been a pleasant surprise this season and can look downright scary at times as it did yesterday. But beating the Rams 20-7 wasn't because the offense is unstoppable. Same thing when they beat Bill Callahan's Redskins 9-0 (in a heavy rainstorm) and the Mason Rudolph-led Steelers 24-20.

I'm a Niners fan btw. This season has been a lot of fun so far. Love what I'm seeing on both sides of the ball. But the schedule has been very friendly. I'm curious to see what happens Weeks 12-14 when they face the Pack, @Ravens and @Saints. The Seahawks in two weeks should also be a good measure.

Bottom line as it relates to Husker comparisons, I'd much rather see NU develop a D-line and overall defense that resembles what the Niners are trotting out these days. We already have a dynamic "positionless" offense that puts up points when healthy. We need more depth and playmakers there, especially on the O-line, but we have a scheme/coach that can get it done.

But watching the Niners continually collapse the pocket with Nick Bosa running wild off the edge reminds me of the old-school Blackshirts. Not surprising given that the Niners have spent their top draft pick on a D-lineman 4 out of the last 5 years. The other year they took an OT. Build up your lines and the rest will follow.
I would have bet a beer and a shot of whiskey you were a Dallas Cowboy fan. Your 49er fandom really ruins the persona I've established of you. Would you consider changing, please?

I'm just really glad my Raiders beat the Cardinals last year in that worthless game so they could get Ferrell instead of Bosa!

JFC.

I would have bet a beer and a shot of whiskey you were a Dallas Cowboy fan. Your 49er fandom really ruins the persona I've established of you. Would you consider changing, please?

Ha! If it makes you feel any better, this is what led to my Niners fandom...

pg2_g_craigvbears1_700.jpg

pg2_g_rathmanvvikes1_700.jpg

Wait...what? Is that for real?

Speaking of which, there was a rare commingling of college and pro bumper styles late in the 1989 NFL season and during the subsequent playoffs, when 49ers running backs Roger Craig and Tom Rathman -- both Nebraska alums -- sent a shout-out to their alma mater by wearing "Huskers" on their bumpers for at least five games (similar to when Ohio State alum Terry Glenn wore a buckeye decal on his helmet during a Monday night game last season). It's not clear if either Niner was fined for these shenanigans, but Uni Watch doubts it. That's the beauty of a bumper-related uniform violation: It's likely to be so subtle that the regulatory authorities won't notice.

Old ESPN article

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT