ADVERTISEMENT

48 passes

huskerbr12

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 3, 2007

Last week Iowa had a walk-on soph score 4 tds and get 200 yards.

Two weeks ago Michigan had over 200 yards rushing and 3 tds (45 carries). Only threw 23 passes.

We gave up on the run game and had a terrible plan to begin with. Only 2 jano touches, only 1 jet sweep, only 1 option. No creativity. No plan. No adaptation. Pathetic.

Langsdorf must just watch Netflix all week, sure as heck isnt developing a game plan He is so smart, he is on the sidelines instead of up in the pressbox.

Langs panicked when our base run plays got blown up a few times......total run yards was under 100.....when in doubt Langs is going to to throw the ball

Hell, according the sideline reporter coming out of halftime, Riley himself said the run game needed to be abandoned in the 2nd half. Frankly, it doesn't matter. When you have no offensive identity, you have nothing to lean on in crunch time.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Sad part is pass plays were there. Multiple drops and two missed throws that would have scored. One to Newby and one to Turner.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I call bs on all your excuses. They stopped trying to run because they were getting stopped. They had plays there all day and he didn't take then.

48 passes with a 50% passer is going to lose you a lot of games. Their defense was on the field the majority of the first 3 quarters and Langsdorf refused to make them pay for it, electing to chuck it down the field time and time again.

Stick with the run good things happen.

Worst part is if we had got the 2 pt conv, you just knew our D would give up a 4 minute GW drive...didnt really matter, our O sucks and our D folds in crunch time, sigh

Take away 15 of tommys throws. Give me 5 more jet sweeps 5 more outside runs with newby and 5 more qb runs.

Tommy will be more effective throwing when you make them defend more of the field.

I call bs on all your excuses. They stopped trying to run because they were getting stopped. They had plays there all day and he didn't take then.

48 passes with a 50% passer is going to lose you a lot of games. Their defense was on the field the majority of the first 3 quarters and Langsdorf refused to make them pay for it, electing to chuck it down the field time and time again.

Stick with the run good things happen.

You can call bs on whatever you want. You can also pretend the '95 Huskers that came out of the tunnel suited up for this game.

Just because you watched another team do something doesn't mean this one can replicate it.

But I also agree with "48 passes with a 50% passer is going to lose you a lot of games." The only success we seem to have comes throwing the deep ball. It's our strength on offense believe it or not. It's the only thing our QB does well.

Hell, according the sideline reporter coming out of halftime, Riley himself said the run game needed to be abandoned in the 2nd half. Frankly, it doesn't matter. When you have no offensive identity, you have nothing to lean on in crunch time.

Never cared for an offensive system that finds the running game to be nothing more than an aid in mixing things up to keep the defense off balance. They don't want an efficient running game, they want an efficient passing game with some running sprinkled in. A run focused team does not pass the ball on 3rd and short over and over again even when the run isnt producing much.

Never cared for an offensive system that finds the running game to be nothing more than an aid in mixing things up to keep the defense off balance. They don't want an efficient running game, they want an efficient passing game with some running sprinkled in. A run focused team does not pass the ball on 3rd and short over and over again even when the run isnt producing much.
I agree 100%

You can call bs on whatever you want. You can also pretend the '95 Huskers that came out of the tunnel suited up for this game.

Just because you watched another team do something doesn't mean this one can replicate it.

But I also agree with "48 passes with a 50% passer is going to lose you a lot of games." The only success we seem to have comes throwing the deep ball. It's our strength on offense believe it or not. It's the only thing our QB does well.
I'm not pretending anything, langs had opportunities to run the ball and didn't take them. He refuses to take numbers when they're there.

We will pass better if you have a run game to lean on. And I'm not saying don't throw it. 25 passes fine 30 passes ok 35 feels a little heavy. 50? Come on.

I'm not pretending anything, langs had opportunities to run the ball and didn't take them. He refuses to take numbers when they're there.

We will pass better if you have a run game to lean on. And I'm not saying don't throw it. 25 passes fine 30 passes ok 35 feels a little heavy. 50? Come on.

You are pretending we have an offensive line capable of wearing decent teams out. We don't. We also do not have a QB capable of completing the short pass on a consistent basis. This is actually the part of TA's game that is most damaging to us at the moment because we have guys that can make plays after the catch.

Brilliant analysis all around - square peg, round hole. What the heck does that mean?

NW had a good plan and it was to to follow Newby and Tommy and take them out of the game. Force Tommy to throw. That is why you saw Newby get blown up so many times and yes he had a few good carries and those were the times we got a hat on the LB or get got caught up in traffic.

I can see what Langs is trying to do given what the D is showing. Bad thing is it is there most of the time for the taking, we can't complete it. Either Tommy throws wild, misses the wide open guy or it is dropped. That is execution.

Tommy has many bad habits from HS that he can tame down for a while but they keep coming back. Langs is obviously working on those things and Tommy has talked about it but in the heat of the battle he reverts back and he can sometimes get away with it which makes it even worse. I don't hear much complaining about those plays when he hits someone even if it looks ugly.

The D is just down right terrible in nearly all areas. There are multiple articles to be read about the quarters D and it has admitted weaknesses which include the out pattern depending on corner alignment. How many times this year have we seen 3rd and long converter on the sideline. Get use to it.

My biggest concern is that players are not playing with leverage and in control. They seem lost and unsure. That is coaching. We cannot put it all together to play a clean game on D. Sure you will get beat sometimes there is a reason we are dead last in the nation in pass defense.

Is it an athlete problem? I dismiss the notion that they just need to get "their guys" there to fit their plans. There is some truth to that but not that much. Basic assignments and technique does not change that much but reads do. We aren't going to recruit a new set of DB's and find they magically are that much better. A DB still has to have the fundamental skills and techniques whether they are running quarters, zone match up, cover 2, man-to-man or zone blitz.

This is going to be a long season and an even longer off-season I am afraid. I think it was Red Rover who was all excited about so many guys coming back. I remember years ago I use to chart teams and look up stats and all sorts of stuff and I would see these teams with lots of seniors and think wow they are experience and could give us fits. What I finally realized is that if the talent level was not high as a junior it didn't magically increase as a senior. Yes, experience lets you get a little better but the overall skill level doesn't increase significantly. You should, however, get much smarter!

Here is a news flash - this team is just not very good. They are not playing nearly up to their talent level which is a huge concern. Tom regularly got beat by teams with better talent and rarely go beat by teams with less talent. That is a key to long term sustainability and right now we don't have it.

Today it seemed like we were 3rd and 2 or 3 all day long. I don't recall trying to run it because the way they were lining up to stop that. Then we can't complete a 3 yard pass.

Don't get me started about special teams - we are woeful in just about every area. I am surprised we are this bad. Again, that goes back to fundamentals of breaking down and maintaining leverage. We don't have that.

Brilliant analysis all around - square peg, round hole. What the heck does that mean?

NW had a good plan and it was to to follow Newby and Tommy and take them out of the game. Force Tommy to throw. That is why you saw Newby get blown up so many times and yes he had a few good carries and those were the times we got a hat on the LB or get got caught up in traffic.

I can see what Langs is trying to do given what the D is showing. Bad thing is it is there most of the time for the taking, we can't complete it. Either Tommy throws wild, misses the wide open guy or it is dropped. That is execution.

Tommy has many bad habits from HS that he can tame down for a while but they keep coming back. Langs is obviously working on those things and Tommy has talked about it but in the heat of the battle he reverts back and he can sometimes get away with it which makes it even worse. I don't hear much complaining about those plays when he hits someone even if it looks ugly.

The D is just down right terrible in nearly all areas. There are multiple articles to be read about the quarters D and it has admitted weaknesses which include the out pattern depending on corner alignment. How many times this year have we seen 3rd and long converter on the sideline. Get use to it.

My biggest concern is that players are not playing with leverage and in control. They seem lost and unsure. That is coaching. We cannot put it all together to play a clean game on D. Sure you will get beat sometimes there is a reason we are dead last in the nation in pass defense.

Is it an athlete problem? I dismiss the notion that they just need to get "their guys" there to fit their plans. There is some truth to that but not that much. Basic assignments and technique does not change that much but reads do. We aren't going to recruit a new set of DB's and find they magically are that much better. A DB still has to have the fundamental skills and techniques whether they are running quarters, zone match up, cover 2, man-to-man or zone blitz.

This is going to be a long season and an even longer off-season I am afraid. I think it was Red Rover who was all excited about so many guys coming back. I remember years ago I use to chart teams and look up stats and all sorts of stuff and I would see these teams with lots of seniors and think wow they are experience and could give us fits. What I finally realized is that if the talent level was not high as a junior it didn't magically increase as a senior. Yes, experience lets you get a little better but the overall skill level doesn't increase significantly. You should, however, get much smarter!

Here is a news flash - this team is just not very good. They are not playing nearly up to their talent level which is a huge concern. Tom regularly got beat by teams with better talent and rarely go beat by teams with less talent. That is a key to long term sustainability and right now we don't have it.

Today it seemed like we were 3rd and 2 or 3 all day long. I don't recall trying to run it because the way they were lining up to stop that. Then we can't complete a 3 yard pass.

Don't get me started about special teams - we are woeful in just about every area. I am surprised we are this bad. Again, that goes back to fundamentals of breaking down and maintaining leverage. We don't have that.
i still run it on the 3rd and two's. one of those went the other way. difference in ballgame.

i still run it on the 3rd and two's. one of those went the other way. difference in ballgame.

I agree, Cross was the answer today and he was effective when used. Where has Oz been all of a sudden? I get the D was setting up to stop that but sometime you have to challenge that and show some confidence that you can pound for 2 or 3 yards. Besides it is four down territory anyway.

Reactions: tpmcg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT