ADVERTISEMENT

48 days: Best#48 in Husker history

Gonna represent the geezer brigade again and pick John Starkebaum, a linebacker/strong safety who played in the 70s with Tom Ruud and Bob Nelson.

After a short stint in the NFL, I believe Starkebaum went back to eastern Colorado and became a high school coach. His son was a walk-on under Pelini.

Honorable mention to a pair of LBs...

Jamie Burrow: Starting MIKE on the 2001 Rose Bowl team.

Mike Anderson: Starting SAM 1993 Orange Bowl team. I can't find a clip of it readily, but in I believe the 1993 OU game (might have been 1991 OU; regardless, it was a home game), OU was backed up near the south end zone. Mike Anderson timed the snap and tackled the OU QB before he had a chance to pull away from the center.

I was going through highlight videos of the home games against OU in which Mike Anderson played. Couldn't find the timing play I described above in 1991 or 1993, but started watching the 1989 OU game. A few observations...

1. Jake Anderson gets tremendous jump off the snap a la Dave Rimington when he was accused of essentially false starting on most plays.

2. At about 11 minutes in, Oklahoma runs the fumblerooski and it is beautiful. They ran it again at about 28:20.

3. At about 24:20, our DB #5 Tahaun Lewis does an amazing job of changing the arm in which he is carrying the ball to protect it when he reverses field. Something many players don't do anymore and just carry it in the same arm all the time (like Tommy Armstrong in the 2016 Ohio State game when he got injured).

4. Our passing game was spectacular that day.

EDIT: It would probably help if I included the link...

Last edited:
Reactions: TFrazier
Honorable mention to a pair of LBs...

Jamie Burrow: Starting MIKE on the 2001 Rose Bowl team.

Mike Anderson: Starting SAM 1993 Orange Bowl team. I can't find a clip of it readily, but in I believe the 1993 OU game (might have been 1991 OU; regardless, it was a home game), OU was backed up near the south end zone. Mike Anderson timed the snap and tackled the OU QB before he had a chance to pull away from the center.

That play vs Oklahoma was the loudest I've ever heard memorial stadium, including the Henery FG.

Reactions: saluno22
I was going through highlight videos of the home games against OU in which Mike Anderson played. Couldn't find the timing play I described above in 1991 or 1993, but started watching the 1989 OU game. A few observations...

1. Jake Anderson gets tremendous jump off the snap a la Dave Rimington when he was accused of essentially false starting on most plays.

2. At about 11 minutes in, Oklahoma runs the fumblerooski and it is beautiful. They ran it again at about 28:20.

3. At about 24:20, our DB #5 Tahaun Lewis does an amazing job of changing the arm in which he is carrying the ball to protect it when he reverses field. Something many players don't do anymore and just carry it in the same arm all the time (like Tommy Armstrong in the 2016 Ohio State game when he got injured).

Thanks for sharing the game...always enjoyed watching Gerry Gdowski play quarterback. I know he doesn’t wear #48. Could have used him playing quarterback the last few years!! Winking

1:26:50

Some people have way too much time on their hands. Winking

Thanks for finding it and posting!

Last winter I was thinking about that play and watched the game over, so I had a pretty good idea of how to find it. It was memorable to me because it was by far the coldest game I'd ever been to and after that play the crowd being so loud that I was literally yelling at my dad next to me, and he couldn't hear me. The broadcast doesn't do it justice.

Gonna represent the geezer brigade again and pick John Starkebaum, a linebacker/strong safety who played in the 70s with Tom Ruud and Bob Nelson.

After a short stint in the NFL, I believe Starkebaum went back to eastern Colorado and became a high school coach. His son was a walk-on under Pelini.
Heibel and Starkebaum were the two that i remembered. ... starkebaum played for HC Milt Tenopir at haxtun hs in eastern Colo before Milt moved on to McCook and then Lincoln...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT