ADVERTISEMENT

45 years ago today

What's interesting is that in the 45 years since, I cannot remember another season or another game quite like that one. Nobody came close to beating either team all season long. By mid-October, the perception was that these two teams were head and shoulders above everybody else. Then they played the extraordinary Game of the Century. What really validated the belief that these two teams were in their own universe that were the bowl results. NU manhandled faux #2 Alabama 38-6, and OU destroyed #5 Auburn 40-22. Neither game was as close as the scores suggest.

CU finished #3 in the polls and owned three wins over ranked opponents on the road (Ohio St. #6, LSU #9, and Houston #15). Yet CU failed to challenge NU and OU.

I simply can't remember another season or another pair of teams like it. Maybe NU and UF in '95, but I think a lot us expected to play FSU that year for the title. Plus, LP's troubles overshadowed the team for much of that season. USC and Texas in '05 was match-up everybody saw coming, but they also had close games against lesser opponents.

NU's D-Line that year was, I believe, the best in college football history. Two Outland Trophy winners (Jacobson and Glover), two two-time All-Americans (Glover and Harper), and an All-American and future All-Pro (Dutton). Has any team ever matched that?

That D-Line was so loaded that one of the back-ups, Monte Johnson, never started a game at NU but started for several years for Raiders at LB(!), including their '76 Super Bowl champion team. That was an insanely loaded D-Line.

Good memories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT