ADVERTISEMENT

45 days: Best # 45 in Husker history

My '70s linebacker man-crush points to Tom Ruud and Bob Terrio, but Frankie and Joel Mackovicka are good picks as well.

Reactions: saluno22
Sorry fellas, Frank Solich on offense and Bob Terrio on Defense
And Dick Davis as honorable mention...

Best: Captain, Two-Time Academic All-American, and Three-Time National Champion FB Joel Makovicka, now a physical therapist in Omaha. If I recall correctly, he Greatest moment was his TD against Akron in 1997. It's at about 6 seconds into this clip...

Not as clear...

Another one of my favorite Makovicka plays was 1997 at Kansas. We had a punt blocked and the ball happened to find its way into Makovicka's hands still behind the original LOS, so it is essentially a fumble since it didn't cross the LOS. He had the wherewithal to advance the ball to pick up the first down and the Huskers maintained possession.

Honorable Mention...
FB Steve Kriewald. Another bowling ball fullback who brought his lunch pail. Solid both on offense and on special teams. Unfortunately had his role diminished on offense in the Callahan transition, however, that is when my favorite memory of him occurred. Late in the game at Oklahoma in 2004 down 30-0, Callahan gave it to Kriewald, who rumbled about 48 yards to the edge of FG range. He then got the ball again for a few more yard, Joe Dailey spike it with 1 second left, and David Dyches kicked a 39-yard FG as time expired to (a) avoid the shutout and (b) cover the point spread (it was at 28 or 29 points).

The play is at about 1:59:32 if it doesn't link there right away.

Best: Captain, Two-Time Academic All-American, and Three-Time National Champion FB Joel Makovicka, now a physical therapist in Omaha. If I recall correctly, he Greatest moment was his TD against Akron in 1997. It's at about 6 seconds into this clip...

Not as clear...

Another one of my favorite Makovicka plays was 1997 at Kansas. We had a punt blocked and the ball happened to find its way into Makovicka's hands still behind the original LOS, so it is essentially a fumble since it didn't cross the LOS. He had the wherewithal to advance the ball to pick up the first down and the Huskers maintained possession.

Honorable Mention...
FB Steve Kriewald. Another bowling ball fullback who brought his lunch pail. Solid both on offense and on special teams. Unfortunately had his role diminished on offense in the Callahan transition, however, that is when my favorite memory of him occurred. Late in the game at Oklahoma in 2004 down 30-0, Callahan gave it to Kriewald, who rumbled about 48 yards to the edge of FG range. He then got the ball again for a few more yard, Joe Dailey spike it with 1 second left, and David Dyches kicked a 39-yard FG as time expired to (a) avoid the shutout and (b) cover the point spread (it was at 28 or 29 points).

The play is at about 1:59:32 if it doesn't link there right away.

N

Great clips, thanks for sharing.

Joel Mackovicka averaged 6.5 yards a carry as a fullback his senior year and set the fullback record for TDs. What a three headed monster... Frost, Green, and the Mack Truck

Reactions: leodisflowers
I feel like Makovicka once went an entire season without a single carry that resulted in a loss.

EDIT: Looked it up, it was 1997...

22 carries
187 yards gained
2 yards lost
185 yards net

23 carries
123 yards gained
4 yards lost
119 yards net

105 carries
685 yards gained
0 yards lost
685 yards net

97 carries
463 yards gained
5 yards lost
458 yards net

I feel like Makovicka once went an entire season without a single carry that resulted in a loss.

22 carries
187 yards gained
2 yards lost
185 yards net

23 carries
123 yards gained
4 yards lost
119 yards net

105 carries
685 yards gained
0 yards lost
685 yards net

97 carries
463 yards gained
5 yards lost
458 yards net

Jesus. Dude lost 11 yards his entire career

22 carries
187 yards gained
2 yards lost
185 yards net

23 carries
123 yards gained
4 yards lost
119 yards net

105 carries
685 yards gained
0 yards lost
685 yards net

97 carries
463 yards gained
5 yards lost
458 yards net

Good for him. But little Frankie was the first 45 and he was a Fullback for two years and the lightest in Devaney’s 3 back offense...

Anyone remember Alonzo Whaley?
Yep, seems stiff as a board when he played. Thought about giving him an honorable mention. I recall one interview before I think his senior season where he said he wasn't athletic enough to be an every-down player in Pelini's defense and accepted that he'd be platooned in certain packages.

ADVERTISEMENT