ADVERTISEMENT

44 days : Best #44 in Husker history

So many to pick from...

IB Clavin Jones. First that came to mind for me as well. One in a string of successful IBs who left entered the NFL draft before exhausting their eligibility.
LB Jay Foreman (version 2; he wore #56 early in his career).
DE Jay Moore. Talk about a guy who put on a TON of muscle his first year in the program. I think he went from 210 to 260 during his redshirt year.

Honorable Mention...
NT Mick Stoltenberg: It's a shame the injuries he had to battle.
TE Mike McNeil: Getting shifted around late in his career really hurt his production, I think Shawn Watson was overthinking.
MLB Jon Hesse: Academic All-American. Favorite memory of him was a blocked punt at Texas Tech in 1996.
LB Mike Knox: Tackling machine in 1983 before suffering a knee injury. Still had a productive senior season after sitting out a year. His Huskers.com profile says he went 27-1 in Big Eight games and was one game short of becoming the first player in Big Eight history to letter four times on teams that never lost a league game.

Futures consideration: OLB Garrett Nelson Winking

Calvin Jones.

I honestly don't think of Calvin Jones without thinking of Derek Brown.

Jones-Brown-Heisman-e1547065313450.jpg

Good names above. Jones was a really good IB, Foreman an excellent LB and Knox was an absolute beast before blowing out his knee.

But I'm going with Bill Olds - the forgotten man in the Tagge, Kinney, Rodgers backfield. Hardly ever saw the ball, but the Colts still grabbed him in Round 3.

So many to pick from...

IB Clavin Jones. First that came to mind for me as well. One in a string of successful IBs who left entered the NFL draft before exhausting their eligibility.
LB Jay Foreman (version 2; he wore #56 early in his career).
DE Jay Moore. Talk about a guy who put on a TON of muscle his first year in the program. I think he went from 210 to 260 during his redshirt year.

Honorable Mention...
NT Mick Stoltenberg: It's a shame the injuries he had to battle.
TE Mike McNeil: Getting shifted around late in his career really hurt his production, I think Shawn Watson was overthinking.
MLB Jon Hesse: Academic All-American. Favorite memory of him was a blocked punt at Texas Tech in 1996.
LB Mike Knox: Tackling machine in 1983 before suffering a knee injury. Still had a productive senior season after sitting out a year. His Huskers.com profile says he went 27-1 in Big Eight games and was one game short of becoming the first player in Big Eight history to letter four times on teams that never lost a league game.

Futures consideration: OLB Garrett Nelson Winking
Great list!

Good names above. Jones was a really good IB, Foreman an excellent LB and Knox was an absolute beast before blowing out his knee.

But I'm going with Bill Olds - the forgotten man in the Tagge, Kinney, Rodgers backfield. Hardly ever saw the ball, but the Colts still grabbed him in Round 3.

Olds was a terrific blocker.

Calvin Jones on Offense and Mike Knox on Defense...

Jay Foreman and Jon Hesse also very good choices..And I can’t forget Bill Olds of the 71 National title team..
Jay Foreman was the first who came to mind for me, but can't remember if he kept the number or ended up changing later in his career?

Calvin Jones...but I'm biased...I had been recently married and me and a buddy went to see the Iowa State game and we bought a bottle of Grog and we managed to stay gone for a couple days, not 100% what we did, but to this day we both remember Jones scoring a TD right in front of us....one of several if memory serves. This was long before cell phones so nobody could find us....I had just taken a job working night shift at Super Store on 80th and Harrison, when the owner wouldn't give me the day off to see the game I quit and away we went.

Jones, Calvin. Bam. Winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT