ADVERTISEMENT

40 total commitments

maly

Graduate Assistant
Dec 10, 2003
We are third for most commitments behind Arizona State and Colorado, 46 and 43 commitments respectively.

That is an insane number of new faces.

What are your thoughts on the sheer number of players we have coming in?

So much of it all comes down to coaching… in no way am I making excuses for Rhule, but I do worry about the Colorado game. I know they were 1-11 last year, but they’ve overhauled their roster even more than we have, and with more immediate impact players due to the number of transfers. Is our coaching better than theirs? I guess we’ll find out.

So much of it all comes down to coaching… in no way am I making excuses for Rhule, but I do worry about the Colorado game. I know they were 1-11 last year, but they’ve overhauled their roster even more than we have, and with more immediate impact players due to the number of transfers. Is our coaching better than theirs? I guess we’ll find out.

Power 5 winning = talent acquisition as much if not more than Xs and Os

Power 5 winning = talent acquisition as much if not more than Xs and Os
These standings would seem to debunk your Jimmy and Joes theory.. coaching is more important than talent, but you need both if you want to win meaningful games.
79mn3x.jpg

Rhule is a much better coach than Deion. There is a reason Rhule is getting paid significantly more.

Rhule is a much better coach than Deion. There is a reason Rhule is getting paid significantly more.
Totally agree, just don’t know what to expect from the assistants. Love their energy, but some have questioned their coaching acumen. That’s probably my biggest concern that I would love to see alleviated this fall.

For the 3 teams you mentioned in particular (obviously including Nebraska) there's basically no way to predict based on history how they will perform in the Fall. Such a massive turnover in both coaching staff and roster players means they will be different teams nobody has seen before.

JSU losing to North Carolina Central = Nebraska losing to Georgia Southern.

Reactions: Laner2
Totally agree, just don’t know what to expect from the assistants. Love their energy, but some have questioned their coaching acumen. That’s probably my biggest concern that I would love to see alleviated this fall.
I am not at all worried about the assistants. Rhule and his coordinators are known commodities. They’ll dictate to the position coaches. Spring will be a good shake out. I really like that the transfers and a fair number of freshmen will be in Lincoln for spring ball. This will be a great jump on install.

I love it

the current players have produced nothing

hope we have new faces every year until we find some winners
5 straight years of losing football. Starters maintain their playing time, many times regardless of production.

Knowing the backup may be ready to take your job if you don't produce.

If spring ball forces each and every player to play to their top level on a daily basis, only means more improved team play overall.

When you hear Rhule say that non-scholarship OLmen move like scholarship linemen, it could bode well for some strong competition in playing time.

Have we had kids with real ability just lingering in the lower units while not performing near their true potential because they felt their hard work was not recognized or rewarded due to an incumbent's lock on a position?

It's obvious Rhule and his staff have multiple position changes in mind for some of the players who they may feel are/have been playing out of position.

I find it interesting that Rhule (paraphrasing here) has said he sees players who are changing physically in just two weeks. Or they look different, or something along those lines.

I've said multiple times, with individualized proper nutrition, strength conditioning, and agility work can physically transform athletes in a short period of time. I'm interested in seeing what this team physically looks like, come next August.

One of the main ingredients in a winning program is intense competition for
playing time, and it appears NU may be arriving at that point.....Finally.

Last edited:
WR is going to be interesting after spring. There are a lot of new or 1 year transfers. There will be a lot of competition. Plus there will be 6 WRs that were signed who won't be there for spring ball. It may come down to someone like Billy Kemp or IGC not making the cut.

Last edited:
WR is going to be interesting after spring. There are a lot of new or 1 year transfers. There will be a lot of competition. Plus there will be 6 WRs that were signed who won't be there for spring ball. It may come down to someone like Billy Kemp or IGC not making the cut.
Would be shocked if Billy Kemp were cut. Maybe IGC, but not much chance at all that Kemp wouldn’t make it, imo.

Would be shocked if Billy Kemp were cut. Maybe IGC, but not much chance at all that Kemp wouldn’t make it, imo.
I was just using Billy Kemp as an example. But I think that there will someone leave after spring that will be shocking or possibly a new transfer. It will be a numbers game, especially with the freshmen coming in the fall.

Reactions: timnsun
I'm really confused about how all of this works - if a player doesn't want to leave even if the writing is on the wall that they wont play, would his scholly be pulled?

I'm really confused about how all of this works - if a player doesn't want to leave even if the writing is on the wall that they wont play, would his scholly be pulled?
Aren't schollys 4 years now, not year to year? I thought I remember hearing that, whether it was a B1G thing or NCAA thing.

I'm too lazy to research but I feel like someone here said they would still have to pay for their tuition but they can be removed off the football scholarship. They're all D1 players and want to play, highly unlikely anyone would stubbornly stay once told point-blank they're not going to ever play.

I know for a fact it isn’t in the SEC conference..
Apparently it's a B1G thing, unless they repealed it.

Reactions: scarletred
Apparently it's a B1G thing, unless they repealed it.

Good find, and I heard that was the case when we entered the confernce but that article is close to 9 years old..

Transfers are not guaranteed 4 years. The 4 year guarantee is only for incoming freshmen that sign an NLI. Players that enter the portal and return to the team have forfeited their 4 year guarantee. Most importantly, for Nebraska situation this year, the original guarantee is only for 4 years. Covid years and redshirt years exceed the 4 year guarantee, so any player that has been on campus more than 4 years can be asked to leave. Also, as somewhat mentioned earlier, there is a new coach stipulation where 10 scholarships that can be removed from the football books and placed on university scholarship as long as the player is removed from active roster. Getting to 85 will not be an issue.

New Blood & New Faces not mentally tainted with a losing culture...

I remember right after the loss to NW, the "old" faces immediately went in the dumpster... you could see it in their faces... the "New" guys were the polar opposite and full of positivity...

As much as I appreciate what our guys had to go through and for a purge I believe this has to happen... 1) to get rid of that mentality 2) to find out who really is N

We are third for most commitments behind Arizona State and Colorado, 46 and 43 commitments respectively.

That is an insane number of new faces.

What are your thoughts on the sheer number of players we have coming in?
I have the Huskers at #13 in terms of transfer rankings

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Deion won because he had far superior talent in his conference and division... When they played for the championship, they lost. Nothing against FCS football because I love watching them play, but when you have the majority of your players at an FBS talent level in a Historically Black league, you will dominate. Deion has not accomplished anything yet, and I do not expect that to change. It will be interesting to see if he can get those egos he recruited, and his, to gel into a team. I was so happy when he was passed over for this job.

I am not at all worried about the assistants. Rhule and his coordinators are known commodities. They’ll dictate to the position coaches. Spring will be a good shake out. I really like that the transfers and a fair number of freshmen will be in Lincoln for spring ball. This will be a great jump on install.
I liked how MR proved his philosophy on hiring the way he does... listed 3-4 coaches who were no names when he hired them and today are highly sought after. He can back up his words and hires.

Transfers are not guaranteed 4 years. The 4 year guarantee is only for incoming freshmen that sign an NLI. Players that enter the portal and return to the team have forfeited their 4 year guarantee. Most importantly, for Nebraska situation this year, the original guarantee is only for 4 years. Covid years and redshirt years exceed the 4 year guarantee, so any player that has been on campus more than 4 years can be asked to leave. Also, as somewhat mentioned earlier, there is a new coach stipulation where 10 scholarships that can be removed from the football books and placed on university scholarship as long as the player is removed from active roster. Getting to 85 will not be an issue.
Thanks for the insight, makes sense.

New Blood & New Faces not mentally tainted with a losing culture...

I remember right after the loss to NW, the "old" faces immediately went in the dumpster... you could see it in their faces... the "New" guys were the polar opposite and full of positivity...

As much as I appreciate what our guys had to go through and for a purge I believe this has to happen... 1) to get rid of that mentality 2) to find out who really is N
Losing, weak mentality has to be removed, root and all…including any Admin and such. Like Leafy Spurge, it can take over and destroy.

So you pull one little passage out of what I wrote and make a point of it?
Big whoopee Husker.
I singled out that paragraph of your post because it was the only question and I answered it. i answered it the way I did because there is no question Frost played favorites. For instance, no one was ever going to replace 2AM until Whipple showed up. For some reason, doghouse or otherwise RJ went full on milk carton after starting and doing very well the year before.

I singled out that paragraph of your post because it was the only question and I answered it. i answered it the way I did because there is no question Frost played favorites. For instance, no one was ever going to replace 2AM until Whipple showed up. For some reason, doghouse or otherwise RJ went full on milk carton after starting and doing very well the year before.
Fair enough, but I hope you realize it was a rhetorical question.
Very few on here have questioned why some players seem entrenched in their position despite not producing anything. I've been saying that since the first day I joined this site 16 months ago.

Just look at the 2nd sentence I wrote about starters maintaining their starting position, many times without production.

I think we can all agree that all players need to be given an equal shot to see what they can bring to the team. There should not be any "hangers-on" on the team, they should either be a starter, a # 2 or # 3 person on the depth chart at that position, or key specialty teams players. In other words, contributors.

To have O linemen like Conn or Lynn who have been here for 3 years and never played a snap is ridiculous, especially at a school suffering through multiple losing years.

Reactions: scarletred
I liked how MR proved his philosophy on hiring the way he does... listed 3-4 coaches who were no names when he hired them and today are highly sought after. He can back up his words and hires.
This is a great observation. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT