ADVERTISEMENT

40 bowl games in 2018 season

baseball31ne

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 8, 2002
will there be 80 teams that are eligible for the post season with 6 wins?

My guess is yes but if not what is the process to get 5-7 teams into a lower tier bowl and get those needed extra practices?

I haven’t looked into the rules around 5-7 teams becoming bowl eligible. It would be nice if NU could steal a bowl bid this year. Such a young team, they’ll miss a huge opportunity by missing a bowl game.

NU is getting better, but missing a bowl game is damaging. No doubt about it.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I haven’t looked into the rules around 5-7 teams becoming bowl eligible. It would be nice if NU could steal a bowl bid this year. Such a young team, they’ll miss a huge opportunity by missing a bowl game.

They don't invite 3-9 teams to bowl games

We got in at 5-7 in 2015. It comes down to some type of academic standard. Not sure on the details. If we make 5-7, we will likely get in if there aren't enough 6-6 teams.

There's 40 bowl games with only six of which that anyone cares about. Granted I don't mind but I mean we have the Dollar General Bowl and the Bad Boy Mowers Bowl ffs. Getting to a bowl game used to mean something now it's meaningless for most teams. But I guess it gives us more football to watch so I'm good with it...

There's 40 bowl games with only six of which that anyone cares about. Granted I don't mind but I mean we have the Dollar General Bowl and the Bad Boy Mowers Bowl ffs. Getting to a bowl game used to mean something now it's meaningless for most teams. But I guess it gives us more football to watch so I'm good with it...

It means an entire month of additional practices, which would benefit us next year. We would also be a pretty dangerous 5-7 bowl team. Playing against a 6-6 or 7-5 team, we would very likely blow them out.

Reactions: HuskerinPA
It means an entire month of additional practices, which would benefit us next year. We would also be a pretty dangerous 5-7 bowl team. Playing against a 6-6 or 7-5 team, we would very likely blow them out.

True, I only meant meaningless as in it's a bowl that no one outside the fans of the team would watch or care about. Good for the practicing. I agree if we keep on our trajectory we'd blow out most 6-6 or 7-5 teams

Reactions: Hoosker Du
will there be 80 teams that are eligible for the post season with 6 wins?

My guess is yes but if not what is the process to get 5-7 teams into a lower tier bowl and get those needed extra practices?
Getting to 5 wins will be difficult... but not impossible. I think we beat Illinois, but beating both IO_A and MSU will be difficult... Pretty sure we win 1 of those.

At the very least those extra practices can be really useful for this team

Getting to 5 wins will be difficult... but not impossible. I think we beat Illinois, but beating both IO_A and MSU will be difficult... Pretty sure we win 1 of those.

I think Nebraska beats Michigan State. I don't believe The Huskers will beat Iowa though.

Recently on Big Red Wrap up, this was discussed. Everybody was in agreement that5-7 would not get us into a bowl game this year. They didn't expand much on it. They explained how it happened last time but shot it down pretty fast about the chances of getting in this year. Why? I don't know. Only thing I can think of is that our academic rating may not be where it was in 2015. Not sure what all factors in that. Granted everything is fluid, but I just don't get why they dismissed it emphatically.

There are actually 39 bowl games, the championship game will have existing teams already in. That leaves 78 teams to get in, with 130 total teams competing for those bowls. So far there are 49 teams in with at least 6 wins, with 29 other teams currently sitting at 5 wins. If all those teams get their 6th win (and they have 3 games to get them) there’s your 78. Very little chance for us to get in, especially with us having to win our last 3 just to get to 5 wins.

Keep your 5-7 and 6-6 participation trophy bowl games. Talk about morale victories.

Recently on Big Red Wrap up, this was discussed. Everybody was in agreement that5-7 would not get us into a bowl game this year. They didn't expand much on it. They explained how it happened last time but shot it down pretty fast about the chances of getting in this year. Why? I don't know. Only thing I can think of is that our academic rating may not be where it was in 2015. Not sure what all factors in that. Granted everything is fluid, but I just don't get why they dismissed it emphatically.
Thanks, Nate Gerry ;)

The 5 win teams (if any are needed) are slotted based on APR. In 2015, Nebraska was near the top, but they are probably too far down the list this year. The list I found, which does include FCS schools, shows them 59th. Most likely there would be only 1 or 2 5 win spots available, if any.

The 5 win teams (if any are needed) are slotted based on APR. In 2015, Nebraska was near the top, but they are probably too far down the list this year. The list I found, which does include FCS schools, shows them 59th. Most likely there would be only 1 or 2 5 win spots available, if any.
Thanks for looking into this further

I think Nebraska beats Michigan State. I don't believe The Huskers will beat Iowa though.

All depends on what Stanley shows up they do have a impressive offensive line and tough defense that doesn’t take chances on blitzing very often..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT