ADVERTISEMENT

4* WR Not on campus?

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Newbie here with first post- looking forward to good football talk. Let’s get to it.

Lots about Maurice Washington, but looks like Dominick Watt and Willie Canty also are not yet enrolled? I remember hearing Canty was not a lock to make it, but what about Watt? 4* WR with larger frame would be a big loss if something fell through. As for Canty, with only undersized Will Farniok in 2018 class and Chris Walker(2017) moving to DL, our young OL depth is thin right now.

Newbie here with first post- looking forward to good football talk. Let’s get to it.

Lots about Maurice Washington, but looks like Dominick Watt and Willie Canty also are not yet enrolled? I remember hearing Canty was not a lock to make it, but what about Watt? 4* WR with larger frame would be a big loss if something fell through. As for Canty, with only undersized Will Farniok in 2018 class and Chris Walker(2017) moving to DL, our young OL depth is thin right now.
Judging by the responses, it looks like more people care about Pawn Stars than Nebraska football!!! I personally know nothing about Canty or Watt as far as Status. However I do know that Canty would be a huge loss considering the lack of OL recruits in the last class.

I know Watt was rated high, but losing him would not hurt the team as much. I think you hear nothing on these two, because no one knows anything.

***Side Note***

If you want to generate conversation say something positive about Nebraska basketball. That seems to be the click bait around here.

Welcome, and hope to hear more from you in the future

I don’t have any info either, but would agree Canty is the bigger loss. We’re thin on the OL and desperately need to get our OL and DL situtions fixed. We’ll struggle to some degree until we can shore up our lines. Watt is certainly a loss as he’s big and talented. That said, if there’s one position where we can absorb a recruiting miss it’s at the WR position. We are deep, fast, and talented at the receiver spot, and given the staff’s track record I don’t think recruiting fast, talented receivers will be a problem any time soon. I hope Watt makes it, but if he doesn’t we’ll be just fine.

Judging by the responses, it looks like more people care about Pawn Stars than Nebraska football!!!
Maybe if Chumlee has eligibility left and isn't in jail, we could kill two birds with one stone if Frost recruited him for OLine. Then we could post about both. I'm sure Zach Duval could have him whipped into shape in no time.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Is no one not hearing anything on Dom Watt?? It’s not premium info so go ahead and spill it if you know or heard something. I don’t believe I ever heard anything about him being a grade issue or anything like that, so I’m guessing a family ordeal or something like that delaying him?

Is no one not hearing anything on Dom Watt?? It’s not premium info so go ahead and spill it if you know or heard something. I don’t believe I ever heard anything about him being a grade issue or anything like that, so I’m guessing a family ordeal or something like that delaying him?

Still working on an online class. Probably won't be here til later in the summer, if at all.

Reactions: huskerssalts
If neither of these guys make it, I gotta say I would be pretty pissed at the coaching staff, just like any previous coaching staff for missing on a couple spots in a class.

I would say replacing Watt in future classes would be easier since WR caters to young talent more than O-line. Not saying Canty is destined to be amazing, but it takes longer to develop OL bodies so the lack of numbers over 2 year period make him important as a body. I glanced at his film and he does seem reasonably agile for a big frame. And I like having as many options as possible on OL.

Reactions: c3ntral08
I

Was always going to be an issue

He's got ONE online class to finish before he can come to Lincoln. Likely for Fall camp. I'd say it's probably a fairly high probability that he will make it. And we already know that Washington only needs to get a 20 on his ACT when he takes it at the end of July. But he won't play this year, he'll be an academic redshirt IF he gets 20 or higher. The one recruit we currently don't know anything about is Canty and his status.

Reactions: huskerssalts
He's got ONE online class to finish before he can come to Lincoln. Likely for Fall camp. I'd say it's probably a fairly high probability that he will make it. And we already know that Washington only needs to get a 20 on his ACT when he takes it at the end of July. But he won't play this year, he'll be an academic redshirt IF he gets 20 or higher. The one recruit we currently don't know anything about is Canty and his status.

I’d be fine having Watts and Washington make it and not participating this year. Red shirt them (grey shirt which ever) and get them ready for the future. I do agree on Watts, if he doesn’t make it, it doesn’t hurt as bad because we are in on and getting a lot of decent talent are WR. Still would be nice to get him here for the future though. So fingers crossed.

And Canty was at best a project....no worries mate.

And Canty was at best a project....no worries mate.
several academic risks in this class explains why many other P5 schools didn't recruit them hard. will probably pay off in the long run but other schools apparently didn't want the risk or the wait. neb was probably smart to go ahead and sign them and be patient

several academic risks in this class explains why many other P5 schools didn't recruit them hard. will probably pay off in the long run but other schools apparently didn't want the risk or the wait. neb was probably smart to go ahead and sign them and be patient

Time will tell but i remember a certain coach who would get classes rated above average only to have several never make for one reason or the other. He was called out in that regularly.

Time will tell but i remember a certain coach who would get classes rated above average only to have several never make for one reason or the other. He was called out in that regularly.
It's a valid criticism. A guy who can't make grades and get here is just as useless as a Bubba Starling in the long run. That said, I understand why it's worth taking a gamble in your first class on some high-risk-high-reward guys.

Any team will have kids who wash out of a class, but where I think this staff is different is that they won't let those holes in their roster continue to be there 3 years down the road. They have a decent-sized commit list already before July so there's time for them to put together a big class.

And to the poster who said Washington "only" needs a 20 ACT...you might be surprised how many kids can't hit a 20 on multiple tries. Hopefully he isn't one of them, but there are lots of people out there in the world who couldn't score a 17 ACT on their best day.

Lot's of overraction taking place in this thread. Remember that Frost only had roughly 20% of the recruits to even recruit. This cycle they have access to everyone and the "risks" will be fewer.

Watt will make it to campus. Every major program in the country has a recruit or two that needs an extra courses to meet admissions. Even Stanford goes through it.

There will always bee a number of great high school football players that are at the cut off mark for getting eligible or getting admitted. It's why the new academic research year exists and we SHOULD take full advantage of it - it is our new Prop 48.

Think.

I actually believe Watt will make it, but not before August. If not, Nebraska will place him at IWCC, Garden City, or Arizona Western.

He was likely slated for a RS anyway. Relax.

Reactions: jlb321
It's why the new academic research year exists and we SHOULD take full advantage of it - it is our new Prop 48.
Could you expand on this? I remember NU's Prop 48 gravy train, but I haven't heard of this new practice and a Google search wasn't fruitful for me.

I honestly can't think of one kid who has been placed at a JUCO by any NU coach who has then enrolled and played at NU.

It's because NU hasn't done it for years. They tried it with Lorenzo Stewart a few years ago, but he flunked out of juco his first semester. It could've just been a poor rumor, but I heard Stewart literally couldn't read.

You have to take some gambles in a transition year. Having said that I hope that in coming years this becomes less noticeable.

Big time programs are able to pass on highly skilled recruits with grade or other questions because they can land equally talented recruits without those question marks. In the past we haven’t had that luxury. Likewise I hope we can move away from being the first or one of the first power 5 schools to offer a kid because we feel we need a head start before other big time programs offer.

No more diamonds in the rough or finding under the radar kids. I would hope that this staff can wait until a kid is a diamond or appears on the radar and still effectively recruit. I still get the sense that in some cases we are in a hurry to offer some kids very early.

A kids offer list, for me, is still the best indicator of his talent level. It is a bit of a red flag when that list is underwhelming.

You have to take some gambles in a transition year. Having said that I hope that in coming years this becomes less noticeable.

Big time programs are able to pass on highly skilled recruits with grade or other questions because they can land equally talented recruits without those question marks. In the past we haven’t had that luxury. Likewise I hope we can move away from being the first or one of the first power 5 schools to offer a kid because we feel we need a head start before other big time programs offer.

No more diamonds in the rough or finding under the radar kids. I would hope that this staff can wait until a kid is a diamond or appears on the radar and still effectively recruit. I still get the sense that in some cases we are in a hurry to offer some kids very early.

A kids offer list, for me, is still the best indicator of his talent level. It is a bit of a red flag when that list is underwhelming.

I use scholarship offers as the biggest tell, but there are situations where offers really don't tell the story. Our OT commit out of Louisiana lives 2 and 3 hours away from any major cities and colleges didn't bother to go and see him since there wasn't anyone else in the area to stop by to see. That stuff happens a few times around the country every cycle.

A weak scholarship offer at a school that all major colleges evaluate is a red flag. And when a kid with a lot of scholarships transfers to that academy in Florida and "disappears" is an even bigger red flag to me since it shows he isn't as talented as we thought.

I use scholarship offers as the biggest tell, but there are situations where offers really don't tell the story. Our OT commit out of Louisiana lives 2 and 3 hours away from any major cities and colleges didn't bother to go and see him since there wasn't anyone else in the area to stop by to see. That stuff happens a few times around the country every cycle.

A weak scholarship offer at a school that all major colleges evaluate is a red flag. And when a kid with a lot of scholarships transfers to that academy in Florida and "disappears" is an even bigger red flag to me since it shows he isn't as talented as we thought.

With social media, camps, etc etc very few kids can fly under the radar regardless of location.

Regardless, now that we have offered the OT you referenced, who happens to reside in the heart of SEC country, he is no longer off the radar. I would expect many big time SEC schools to offer if our talent evaluation is on mark

It's a valid criticism. A guy who can't make grades and get here is just as useless as a Bubba Starling in the long run. That said, I understand why it's worth taking a gamble in your first class on some high-risk-high-reward guys.

Any team will have kids who wash out of a class, but where I think this staff is different is that they won't let those holes in their roster continue to be there 3 years down the road. They have a decent-sized commit list already before July so there's time for them to put together a big class.

And to the poster who said Washington "only" needs a 20 ACT...you might be surprised how many kids can't hit a 20 on multiple tries. Hopefully he isn't one of them, but there are lots of people out there in the world who couldn't score a 17 ACT on their best day.

Agree to a certain extent although I would not say Canty is a high-risk/high-reward kind of guy. Washington maybe. There are several problems with this style as Bo consistently found - first you get a class rated in the 20's based on everyone making it and then they don't or several don't so your 20's goes out the window. I can't imagine the top programs (Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc) taking "chances" on kids if they don't have to. Nebraska took several and then the next year the same thing so filling up the pipeline, although a good idea, just doesn't happen unless you can recruit at a high level. Nebraska simply couldn't do that consistently and had too many misses. Honestly, some programs have to take chances and will while others don't have to and still others won't as they would rather take the bird in the hand.

Given what it sounds like Washington has done the last four years, you are right in that a 20 ACT is a sizable challenge. I heard someone say he was studying at night - he better eat, sleep and drink the ACT day and night for the month.

Trust me, high schools have TONS of video on kids, no matter how good they are. You have not only the home team but all opponents taking videos so getting video is not a problem. Coaches don't have to make a trip, there is film everywhere and all it takes is an email request, phone call or just find it on the internet. When I was an assistant we sent film all over the place all of the time.

Reactions: jlb321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT