ADVERTISEMENT

4* transfer portal QB to watch? Jace Ruder

And you know that he's "fvcking terrible" how exactly? His D-1 video is non-existent. We haven't seen Smothers play and I doubt you've seen him even scrimmage in practice so we have no way of knowing what Smothers will be like against P5 competition. I wasn't guessing where Ruder would land. That's why the ❓ in the thread title. The difference between him and Wilson is that I think Ruder could have as many as 3 years of eligibility left with a redshirt year, an injury redshirt year and then this year not counting. You do realize that Frost got a former 4 star WR to walk on as a transfer as well right?

I was merely perusing the Rivals articles on portal QBs and saw this kid's name so I dug in to his profile a little. I remembered his name from back when he was in high school. He looks to me like he's every bit as intriguing as Bubba Starling and a much more likely possibility.:Cool: I'm not sold on Haarberg and I find it hard to believe with the injuries to AM and LM that we wouldn't have seen Smothers late this year if he was doing well in practice. I think another scholarship QB from the transfer portal would be a reasonably logical idea. IF nothing else go find a kid who is willing to walk on as a grad transfer from a smaller program like the kid from USD did at WR. That worked out well for us.

How good of a passer is Haarberg? I would rather see a better passer and maybe Qb who can run a little, but is not necessarily a dynamic runner than a great runner and a mediocre passer.

Reactions: nwualum
Need to forget the transfer portal fo QB. Frost needs set a tone for the offense. What is his offense ?A transfer QB isn't the difference.

I'm starting to wonder if his offense is too complex, otherwise... Well that's a Dark place and alot of questions.

Exactly my point - I don't think there are any slam-dunk QB's in the portal who would be an immediate upgrade over AM/LM and you can automatically slot them into the starter role. You don't take a transfer QB unless you're either A) really low on QB numbers or B) you plan to make that transfer the new starter day1.
We are really low on quarterback numbers. LM should have every chance to win the starting job over AM next year, but if he doesn't win it, he needs to be on the field somewhere else instead of rotting on the bench.

Last edited:
We don't need a transfer qb who's going to unseat Adrian. We do need a transfer qb who can provide depth and be a good backup qb. We have enough runners already. I'd like to see a transfer qb who is accurate in the downfield passing game and can make decent decisions. Hopefully he would be able to push AM and the other qb's to start developing a downfield passing game as well. We're not going to win more than 4 games without it.

If AM is the starter for the next 2 seasons, I think it's likely he and Frost leave the program at the same time.
I’m not here to say we “can” find a better option on the transfer portal today, but just wanted ro remind folks Adrian has genuinely set the bar pretty low.
... like low.

Is he the worst? no.
Are there a lot of QB’s at smaller/ “lesser” schools who demonstrate an indisputable statistical reputation far superior AM? yes.
A solid handful or more.

I would role the dice on trying to lure one of those QB’s who put Adrian’s stats to shame:
Top 10 QBR examples...

Sophomore Kaleb Eleby Western Michigan
6 games, 18 TDs and 2 INTs

Senior Dustin Crumb Kent St
4 games 12 TDs and 2 INTs

Freshman Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina
11 games 26 TDs and 3 INTs

Sophomore Layne Hatcher Arkansas St
11 games 19 TDs and 2 INTs

That’s 4 of the top 10 national QBRs from small schools who you could lure if you tried.. and there’s several more in the top 20, top 30 = options.

#55 Junior Adrian Martinez
7 games 4 TDs and 3 INTs....

guestimating there’s a good 10 potential QB prospects to lure away from those small schools who have significantly out-performed Adrian (who alao happens to be Top 10 nationally in fumbles every year if I’m not mistaken- tied for #6 in the country this year).

AM is a great kid, and I’ve wanted him to be successful... really really bad.
But the stats paint the picture. He’s had 3 years.

Why Frost would not want to explore the poachable options is beyond me.

We're not going to land a Justin Fields.
Bingo.

It brings to mind what Mike Farrell said recently. At least 80% of these portal guys go down a level or never find a home. And there are reasons why. Many of these guys are quitters who didn't want to compete for their spot or were overrated to begin with. Some have had injury issues and are not the players they were once projected to be. So the bottom line is that Nebraska should be very choosy about who we go after in the portal. We're not going to get a Fields or Trey Sermon, it's better to go after proven talents from the lower levels.

Spending our time discussing random names in the portal isn't time well spent. They may have been a four star in high school but there updated value is two star today.

I’m not here to say we “can” find a better option on the transfer portal today, but just wanted ro remind folks Adrian has genuinely set the bar pretty low.
... like low.

Is he the worst? no.
Are there a lot of QB’s at smaller/ “lesser” schools who demonstrate an indisputable statistical reputation far superior AM? yes.
A solid handful or more.

I would role the dice on trying to lure one of those QB’s who put Adrian’s stats to shame:
Top 10 QBR examples...

That’s 4 of the top 10 national QBRs from small schools who you could lure if you tried.. and there’s several more in the top 20, top 30 = options.

guestimating there’s a good 10 potential QB prospects to lure away from those small schools who have significantly out-performed Adrian (who alao happens to be Top 10 nationally in fumbles every year if I’m not mistaken- tied for #6 in the country this year).

Are you suggesting Frost should reach out to these kids and try to convince them to come here? Is that even “legal” with the ncaa?

Reactions: OzzyLvr and egaRdeR
... like low.

Is he the worst? no.
A solid handful or more.

Top 10 QBR examples...

Well said. If Frost fails at Nebraska and is fired in a year or two, it will undoubtedly be because of poor quarterback play. If that happens, he’ll have nobody to blame but himself for not doing more to improve that position - either through recruiting or through transfer.

Last edited:
I don’t get the obsession with the transfer portal qb. It’s pretty slim pickings and I don’t think most of our losses were on Martinez. Ohio st we were overmatched talent, nw special teams and red zone offense, Illinois-Martinez did not start and whole team laid egg, iowa special teams muffed punt was turning point, minnesota poor play calling
Need to forget the transfer portal fo QB. Frost needs set a tone for the offense. What is his offense ?A transfer QB isn't the difference.

I'm starting to wonder if his offense is too complex, otherwise... Well that's a Dark place and alot of questions.

Bingo.

It brings to mind what Mike Farrell said recently. At least 80% of these portal guys go down a level or never find a home. And there are reasons why. Many of these guys are quitters who didn't want to compete for their spot or were overrated to begin with. Some have had injury issues and are not the players they were once projected to be. So the bottom line is that Nebraska should be very choosy about who we go after in the portal. We're not going to get a Fields or Trey Sermon, it's better to go after proven talents from the lower levels.

Spending our time discussing random names in the portal isn't time well spent.
They may have been a four star in high school but there updated value is two star today.
Time spent discussing Husker football on this board regardless of topic isn't time well spent. Discussing random portal guys is just entertainment. It's just water cooler musings about where some kid with ties to the area might wind up.

Who knows if we get a guy like Sermon or not. You never will if you don't try. Guys like him are game changers. I don't understand why he left OU in the first place. One sure has to wonder if there wasn't some recruiting going on before he left. I suspect with the new transfer rules, the line in the sand with agents and representatives has gotten very blurry.

I don’t get the obsession with the transfer portal qb. It’s pretty slim pickings and I don’t think most of our losses were on Martinez. Ohio st we were overmatched talent, nw special teams and red zone offense, Illinois-Martinez did not start and whole team laid egg, iowa special teams muffed punt was turning point, minnesota poor play calling
We're 3 years in and in fact Adrian's turnovers have played a role in multiple losses. Obviously they haven't been the only reason, but man when you give the ball away 4 times a game like he did against a crappy defense at Rutgers, that's a problem. There's other issues but IF my QB puts the ball on the rug twice by carrying it like he doesn't care and then throws 2 bad INTs, I'm sitting his ass IF I have any other viable option to go to.

Time spent discussing Husker football on this board regardless of topic isn't time well spent. Discussing random portal guys is just entertainment. It's just water cooler musings about where some kid with ties to the area might wind up.

Who knows if we get a guy like Sermon or not. You never will if you don't try. Guys like him are game changers. I don't understand why he left OU in the first place. One sure has to wonder if there wasn't some recruiting going on before he left. I suspect with the new transfer rules, the line in the sand with agents and representatives has gotten very blurry.
this is pure speculation because i dont think it has ever been revealed why Sermon left OU but my feeling is that OU had hoarded 3 elite RBs and attempted to spread the ball between them to possibly keep them all happy. Stevenson, Brooks, and Sermon could all start at the most P5 programs but none of them were being showcased because they all had to split carries. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often and i wish it would. Hell Davonta Smith would not have won the heisman if Waddle had not got injured this year. Waddle would have taken half of Smith's production and neither would have been considered Heisman frontrunners. Same reason the 5 star OU WR left. they have so many 5 star WRs they can't all get the production they want. but they continue to line up and go to the same schools anyway just to find out there are lot of good players and their production is stunted in many cases

Reactions: dinglefritz

I'm not sure the offense is too complex as it has been successful elsewhere, I just think it may not be suited to win consistently in the B1G. B1G just is not the same as either the PAC or non-P5 conferences.

The earlier arrogant statement that the B1G will have to adjust to Frost's offense was way off the mark. It has been proven to be exactly the opposite IMO, Frost needs to learn how to adjust to the B1G.

I'm not sure the offense is too complex as it has been successful elsewhere, I just think it may not be suited to win consistently in the B1G. B1G just is not the same as either the PAC or non-P5 conferences.

The earlier arrogant statement that the B1G will have to adjust to Frost's offense was way off the mark. It has been proven to be exactly the opposite IMO, Frost needs to learn how to adjust to the B1G.
I don't think it matters what offense you run in the B1G. It's going to be tough to win "consistently" in the B1G. It's recruiting and getting lucky with the right kids in particular at QB. Where would OSU be if not for Fields? Answer: Probably sitting at home watching somebody else play the title game. Likewise look at what a difference ONE QB made for Northwestern. You HAVE to have THAT guy at QB to win consistently in the B1G. Look at Michigan. They run mostly the ball control ground game offense (or try to) that so many long for and they were awful this year. They've had top 15 recruiting classes for years and their lines are littered with top recruits. What they've lacked is a QB and the best one they probably had transferred to Illinois when Peters left.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I don't think it matters what offense you run in the B1G. It's going to be tough to win "consistently" in the B1G. It's recruiting and getting lucky with the right kids in particular at QB. Where would OSU be if not for Fields? Answer: Probably sitting at home watching somebody else play the title game. Likewise look at what a difference ONE QB made for Northwestern. You HAVE to have THAT guy at QB to win consistently in the B1G. Look at Michigan. They run mostly the ball control ground game offense (or try to) that so many long for and they were awful this year. They've had top 15 recruiting classes for years and their lines are littered with top recruits. What they've lacked is a QB and the best one they probably had transferred to Illinois when Peters left.
Well I would call Wisconsin a consistent winner in the B1G and their annual recruiting rankings often are below ours. Player talent is important for sure but just as important if not more so is coaching talent.

Not B1G but Iowa State comes to mind for good coaching right now. In contrast Michigan is no slouch when it comes to being able to recruit players (far more ability than Iowa State to recruit) but Harbaugh hasn't been able to capitalize on the players he gets.

Well I would call Wisconsin a consistent winner in the B1G and their annual recruiting rankings often are below ours. Player talent is important for sure but just as important if not more so is coaching talent.

Not B1G but Iowa State comes to mind for good coaching right now. In contrast Michigan is no slouch when it comes to being able to recruit players (far more ability than Iowa State to recruit) but Harbaugh hasn't been able to capitalize on the players he gets.
They've had better QB play for the most part than NU and I guess I would note that they've consistently lost multiple games. Just imagine if they had Sermon and Fields.

Are you suggesting Frost should reach out to these kids and try to convince them to come here? Is that even “legal” with the ncaa?
I’m not familiar with all the rules, but thinking there’d be ways to “get the message out there.”

I think coaches still talk to their formal players who left (Frost w/ Vedral for example).

Actively “recruit” may not be allowed but just a casual message “hey our school is looking” may be possible- even if it came from a back channel.

I’m with everyone who thinks we’re not getting any transfer. There were a couple viable options and no indication we even tried (which I get wouldn’t necessarily be public).

My only point is that Adrian simply has not been good enough to win, and there’s many QBs who are.
The rest of the team/coaches need to help him out for sure,

Since it probably ain’t happening, I’m all in for cheering for the QBs we got to step it up and maximize their potential.
We got 3 (likely AM to be the guy), but someone needs to get the job done.

this is pure speculation because i dont think it has ever been revealed why Sermon left OU but my feeling is that OU had hoarded 3 elite RBs and attempted to spread the ball between them to possibly keep them all happy. Stevenson, Brooks, and Sermon could all start at the most P5 programs but none of them were being showcased because they all had to split carries. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often and i wish it would. Hell Davonta Smith would not have won the heisman if Waddle had not got injured this year. Waddle would have taken half of Smith's production and neither would have been considered Heisman frontrunners. Same reason the 5 star OU WR left. they have so many 5 star WRs they can't all get the production they want. but they continue to line up and go to the same schools anyway just to find out there are lot of good players and their production is stunted in many cases
sermon split carries at osu right up until the last 2 games when master teague was hurt.

Make no mistake, kids know who's looking for what. Once they enter their name in the portal, they're open game to recruit. My contention is that in some cases high profile kids know before they declare for the portal where they're wanted. I don't doubt that Sermon and Fields both knew. High profile players develop relationships with multiple teams across the country. It's not inconceivable that a back channel "inquiry" could be made by a position coach to a parent or representative of the kid before he decides to enter the portal.

sermon split carries at osu right up until the last 2 games when master teague was hurt.
That was probably smart for team chemistry and trying to keep guys healthy for the long haul. I don't thing Teague is near the RB that Sermon is. The commentary I've heard from national pundits who followed OSU was that Sermon was not completely comfortable in the offense for the first few games as well. They said he looked tentative earlier in the season.

How does Utah land both Charlie Brewer (Baylor - crazy stats) and Ja’Quinden Jackson (Texas- high ceiling) as transfer QB’s this cycle?

Woulda been nice if we could’ve had one.

They've had better QB play for the most part than NU and I guess I would note that they've consistently lost multiple games. Just imagine if they had Sermon and Fields.
They've also had much better defensive play so it's not only QB play. And they've also had a few decent RB's and OL's. Seems to me they won the division a "few" times over the past decade - ie., they won 6 out 10 division championships from 2011 to 2020 (including 2 in the Leaders division).

They actually are tied with Ohio State for winning the most B1G Divisional championships during that time frame. (And Ohio State won their division with some controversy this year.) All in all not too shabby for a team that doesn't rank that highly in the annual recruiting derby. We should be so lucky to have been that "shabby".

Last edited:
They've also had much better defensive play so it's not only QB play. And they've also had a few decent RB's and OL's. Seems to me they won the division a "few" times over the past decade - ie., they won 6 out 10 division championships from 2011 to 2020 (including 2 in the Leaders division).

They actually are tied with Ohio State for winning the most B1G Divisional championships during that time frame. (And Ohio State won their division with some controversy this year.) All in all not too shabby for a team that doesn't rank that highly in the annual recruiting derby. We should be so lucky to have been that "shabby".
I think the NUMBER ONE thing Wisconsin has had gong to for it was their O line play. Nebraska's O line was HORRENDOUS at 3 out of 5 positions when Frost was hired and one of the best guys graduated after that first year. That left him with Jaimes and Farniok. You don't build an O line overnight. That first class was a waste mostly as far as the O line went and that was just due to a late start and being left with what Cav had committed. Wil Farniok? Meh. His SECOND class of O linemen IMO has a difference maker or two in it as well as last year's class. I think we're on the right track with our O line development but man it's tough to play behind sophomores and freshmen in the B1G.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and kakdawg

I'm still here after all of these years so this is usually entertaining to me as well. I guess I'm just saying that at some point it is a waste of time. I remember the Sermon thread. People were speculating on him coming to NU. He was never leaving Lincoln Riley's offense to play RB in Nebraska's offense. Sermon knew where he was going to go before he put his name into the portal. Fun to discuss, yes, but (and maybe I'm talking more about my years on RSS here) spending hours arguing, researching and typing long posts about a kid who will never play here or sometimes never play anywhere is a waste of time.

Scott Frost recruited Terry Wilson to Oregon and I believe he signed there and enrolled or committed to them. Then Helfrich got fired, Frost left then Wilson went JUCO route, He came out same year Joe Burrow was transferring from OSU.

IIt was thought behind the scenes that Frost was trying to get Wilson to Lincoln then i was thought Burrow or Wilson, then didn't happen he went to Kentucky and Burrow LSU.

I believe not getting one of them to come to Lincoln was the biggest mistake Frost made at Nebraska. It forced a true freshman Martinez who hadn't played football in 2 years into action and perhaps ruined him..

Wilson isn't good. He's closer to McCaffery than Martinez. Burrow of course we know that history. School wouldn't want Wilson right now lol.

Holla

Wilson isn't good. He's closer to McCaffery than Martinez. Burrow of course we know that history. School wouldn't want Wilson right now lol.

Holla
McCaffrey probably at least has a lot more room to grow as a QB verus Wilson. I think what you see with Wilson is what you get. McCaffrey I think could get better.

Reactions: kakdawg
Frost would be a fool to not look at that kid from Coastal Carolina, Grayson McCall. He's exactly what Frosts offense calls for.

Reactions: leodisflowers
We already know that you think Frost is a moron. You state that in just about every thread on this board. He's not listed on 247's transfer portal QB list though.
I was going off the list HominidHusker put together.

I realize you don't want Nebraska to even take a shot at getting someone better in here and would rather sit on losing seasons for a couple of years, but I think that attitude gets pretty old on this board too.

I was going off the list HominidHusker put together.

I realize you don't want Nebraska to even take a shot at getting someone better in here and would rather sit on losing seasons for a couple of years, but I think that attitude gets pretty old on this board too.
You've obviously not read my posts on the subjects of transfer QBs. I'm all for it but IF we do I want it to be a guy who has at minimum 3 years to play 2 AND I want him to have demonstrated the ability to perform at a high level in college ball.

I can't find anything about McCall being in the portal.

You've obviously not read my posts on the subjects of transfer QBs. I'm all for it but IF we do I want it to be a guy who has at minimum 3 years to play 2 AND I want him to have demonstrated the ability to perform at a high level in college ball.
I stopped reading your posts a long time ago dude. You act like an expert on every topic, and you're not even close to being one. You tag all kinds of silly things into your posts, like you just did above with your 3 years to play 2 garbage. We just saw how a transfer QB came in and won a divisional title. I'd take that over trying to abide by your silly restrictions. Frost needs to start winning right away now.. in case you haven't noticed, he doesn't have a lot of time left.

I stopped reading your posts a long time ago dude. You act like an expert on every topic, and you're not even close to being one. You tag all kinds of silly things into your posts, like you just did above with your 3 years to play 2 garbage. We just saw how a transfer QB came in and won a divisional title. I'd take that over trying to abide by your silly restrictions. Frost needs to start winning right away now.. in case you haven't noticed, he doesn't have a lot of time left.
You go read the transfer portal list of QBs who haven't signed with a new team yet and tell me which one is going to unseat Adrian as a starter then report back please. I'm just being logical and looking at what's out there. IF some other one and done kid pops up who could challenge him for the job, fine but I don't see him out there. We're not getting Fields. Hell we're not getting a kid like Peters even. Our best bet IMO is to find a young kid who can compete with our backups for when Adrian inevitably gets hurt again.

You go read the transfer portal list of QBs who haven't signed with a new team yet and tell me which one is going to unseat Adrian as a starter then report back please. I'm just being logical and looking at what's out there. IF some other one and done kid pops up who could challenge him for the job, fine but I don't see him out there. We're not getting Fields. Hell we're not getting a kid like Peters even. Our best bet IMO is to find a young kid who can compete with our backups for when Adrian inevitably gets hurt again.
So you already looked at the list and did an evaluation on everyone? and you also believe no one out there on that list is better than Adrian. That's too bad. Frost should have been on it in November as far as I'm concerned, but he's gonna milk what he has for a couple more years to really make sure the program is deep down the drain before he gets canned.

I think I found the article that Hominidhusker used to speculate about Grayson McCall. It was actually from while they were still playing and A writer was speculating that he would be in demand IF he entered the Portal.

So you already looked at the list and did an evaluation on everyone? and you also believe no one out there on that list is better than Adrian. That's too bad. Frost should have been on it in November as far as I'm concerned, but he's gonna milk what he has for a couple more years to really make sure the program is deep down the drain before he gets canned.
Yes I've looked at 247's list. I'm familiar with many of the names on there. I'm sure Frost is WAY more familiar than me and IMO he has shown a willingness to recruit over starters at every other position. I think I found the article that HominidHusker used to put McCall on his list. The headline is confusing but when you read the article about McCall it SPECULATES that he would garner a lot of interest IF he decided to transfer.

Well, why can't the young receivers get on the field? Are they all bad? Why do we have a slot receiver in the backfield in the red zone? I don't get it.

I'm not against a transfer QB, but I don't think it would matter.

Apparently per his Twitter account 7 days ago, has signed with University of North Texas.
Best of luck to him.
GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT