ADVERTISEMENT

4* transfer portal QB to watch? Jace Ruder

I would think transfer QBs are looking for a place where they can start or at least have a strong shot of getting the top job in a competition. Even though many of you think AM sucks, he looks like a three year starter to portal QBs. This isn't the NFL. None of these guys are signing to be a serviceable backup, they were probably doing that at the school they left.

I’m not here to say we “can” find a better option on the transfer portal today, but just wanted ro remind folks Adrian has genuinely set the bar pretty low.
... like low.

Is he the worst? no.
Are there a lot of QB’s at smaller/ “lesser” schools who demonstrate an indisputable statistical reputation far superior AM? yes.
A solid handful or more.

I would role the dice on trying to lure one of those QB’s who put Adrian’s stats to shame:
Top 10 QBR examples...

Sophomore Kaleb Eleby Western Michigan
6 games, 18 TDs and 2 INTs

Senior Dustin Crumb Kent St
4 games 12 TDs and 2 INTs

Freshman Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina
11 games 26 TDs and 3 INTs

Sophomore Layne Hatcher Arkansas St
11 games 19 TDs and 2 INTs

That’s 4 of the top 10 national QBRs from small schools who you could lure if you tried.. and there’s several more in the top 20, top 30 = options.

#55 Junior Adrian Martinez
7 games 4 TDs and 3 INTs....

guestimating there’s a good 10 potential QB prospects to lure away from those small schools who have significantly out-performed Adrian (who alao happens to be Top 10 nationally in fumbles every year if I’m not mistaken- tied for #6 in the country this year).

AM is a great kid, and I’ve wanted him to be successful... really really bad.
But the stats paint the picture. He’s had 3 years.

Why Frost would not want to explore the poachable options is beyond me.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on this board.

1. You can't take numbers from dudes who only face MAC or Sun Belt competition and then extrapolate those numbers into performances vs. Big Ten defenses. The fact you've even tried to compare stats suggests you don't know a damn thing about football.

2. Have you ever looked at Adrian's career numbers vs. non power 5 programs or Power 5 programs with bad defenses? They're exceptional. You don't think the level of competition has anything to do with that?

Here are Adrian's career numbers vs. teams from Non Power 5 conferences or Power 5 teams ranked worse than 50th Nationally in Defensive Efficiency:

2020 (3 starts vs. Purdue, Minnesota, and Rutgers)- 63 of 85 for 608 yards 3 TDs, 2 Ints, 51 carries for 298 yards, 5 TDs , 1 fumble - 906 total yards 8 TDs, 3 turnovers - 74% Completion PCT

(6 starts vs South Alabama, Colorado, Northern Illinois, Ilinois, Purdue, Maryland) 105 of 173 for 1,494 yards with 9 TDs , 4 picks,. 83 carries for 386 yards, 6tds, 2 fumbles. - 1,880 total yards, 15 TDs, 7 Turnovers - 62% Completion PCT

(5 Starts vs. CU, Purdue, Minnesota, Bethune, Illinois) 105 of 176 for 1,280 yards 11 TDs, 4 Ints. , 61 carres for 388 yards, 4 TDs, 2 fumbles - 1,668 total yards, 15 TDs, 6 turnovers - 61% Completion PCT

In 14 career games vs. Non Power 5 opponents or Big Ten defenses ranked worse than 50th in Defensive Efficiency:

4,454 total yards, 38 TDs, 16 Turnovers, 64% Completion Percentage

Adrian's averages vs Shit Competition like the MAC or shitty Big Ten Defenses:

318 Total Yards per game
241 yards passing per game
76 yards rushing per game
2.6 TDs per game
1.1 turnovers per game

9-5 record (4 losses where Nebraska scored at least 28 offensive points)

I would think transfer QBs are looking for a place where they can start or at least have a strong shot of getting the top job in a competition. Even though many of you think AM sucks, he looks like a three year starter to portal QBs. This isn't the NFL. None of these guys are signing to be a serviceable backup, they were probably doing that at the school they left.
I'll just say this. By his actions you can tell Frost thinks amart himself sucks. He gave McCaffrey every opportunity to take the job and he wasn't up to the task, so it was a Mart by default. if we could get the right guy on campus to run this offense, the job is his. Very few transfers enter a place with a guarantee. They size up their prospects and go for it. A good quarterback would have to like his chances at taking over the Nebraska Job

I'll just say this. By his actions you can tell Frost thinks amart himself sucks. He gave McCaffrey every opportunity to take the job and he wasn't up to the task, so it was a Mart by default. if we could get the right guy on campus to run this offense, the job is his. Very few transfers enter a place with a guarantee. They size up their prospects and go for it. A good quarterback would have to like his chances at taking over the Nebraska Job
I think starting McCaffrey against Illinois cost NU the win. I think it was perhaps the biggest mistake Frost made this season. Anyone with eyes could see that Lovie had a plan to deal with Luke dialed in.
Good QBs in the portal see in Martinez a three year starter who has completed 64% of his passes that does things in Frost's offense that they probably can't do.

I think starting McCaffrey against Illinois cost NU the win. I think it was perhaps the biggest mistake Frost made this season. Anyone with eyes could see that Lovie had a plan to deal with Luke dialed in.
Good QBs in the portal see in Martinez a three year starter who has completed 64% of his passes that does things in Frost's offense that they probably can't do.
Peel back the onion a few layers and they'll see a guy who can't read defenses, turns over the ball a lot and has a terrible win-loss record. Dig deeper and they'll see we have almost zero ability to hit intermediate or long passes. I am surprised there is not a line forming outside frosts door

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Peel back the onion a few layers and they'll see a guy who can't read defenses, turns over the ball a lot and has a terrible win-loss record. Dig deeper and they'll see we have almost zero ability to hit intermediate or long passes. I am surprised there is not a line forming outside frosts door
I think there's no line because the door is firmly shut & labeled with 'No Loitering'.

They are not doing a deep dive.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on this board.

1. You can't take numbers from dudes who only face MAC or Sun Belt competition and then extrapolate those numbers into performances vs. Big Ten defenses. The fact you've even tried to compare stats suggests you don't know a damn thing about football.

2. Have you ever looked at Adrian's career numbers vs. non power 5 programs or Power 5 programs with bad defenses? They're exceptional. You don't think the level of competition has anything to do with that?

Here are Adrian's career numbers vs. teams from Non Power 5 conferences or Power 5 teams ranked worse than 50th Nationally in Defensive Efficiency:

2020 (3 starts vs. Purdue, Minnesota, and Rutgers)- 63 of 85 for 608 yards 3 TDs, 2 Ints, 51 carries for 298 yards, 5 TDs , 1 fumble - 906 total yards 8 TDs, 3 turnovers - 74% Completion PCT

(6 starts vs South Alabama, Colorado, Northern Illinois, Ilinois, Purdue, Maryland) 105 of 173 for 1,494 yards with 9 TDs , 4 picks,. 83 carries for 386 yards, 6tds, 2 fumbles. - 1,880 total yards, 15 TDs, 7 Turnovers - 62% Completion PCT

(5 Starts vs. CU, Purdue, Minnesota, Bethune, Illinois) 105 of 176 for 1,280 yards 11 TDs, 4 Ints. , 61 carres for 388 yards, 4 TDs, 2 fumbles - 1,668 total yards, 15 TDs, 6 turnovers - 61% Completion PCT

In 14 career games vs. Non Power 5 opponents or Big Ten defenses ranked worse than 50th in Defensive Efficiency:

4,454 total yards, 38 TDs, 16 Turnovers, 64% Completion Percentage

Adrian's averages vs Shit Competition like the MAC or shitty Big Ten Defenses:

318 Total Yards per game
241 yards passing per game
76 yards rushing per game
2.6 TDs per game
1.1 turnovers per game

9-5 record (4 losses where Nebraska scored at least 28 offensive points)
didn't AM turn it over 4x just vs rutgers in 2020? might want to check those #s again. he also lost a fumble vs MN (while throwing for an embarrassing 111 yards).

so those 2020 numbers should read: 8 TDs, 5 turnovers.

This lengthy old thread has probably beaten the topic to death but just in case it needs one more opinion: We need to add another QB who has some meaningful experience. AM will surely get nicked up at some point and his backup wasn’t deemed ready to take any snaps in 2020 even though the year didn’t count against eligibility. I guess miracles happen, but that doesn’t suggest he would be ready to step into a key situation when/if AM gets hurt — especially if it is early in the season.

This lengthy old thread has probably beaten the topic to death but just in case it needs one more opinion: We need to add another QB who has some meaningful experience. AM will surely get nicked up at some point and his backup wasn’t deemed ready to take any snaps in 2020 even though the year didn’t count against eligibility. I guess miracles happen, but that doesn’t suggest he would be ready to step into a key situation when/if AM gets hurt — especially if it is early in the season.
BUT - it's still wise to wait until spring to both see what we have already and what might be available

I am 95% certain he is looking for a quarterback and will get one by May 1st. Given how emotionally fragile quarterbacks are as a whole, he's keeping this on the down low, big time.
I wouldn't be so sure but I wouldn't be surprised either if somebody popped up after the FCS and JUCO teams play their spring schedules. Adrian's shoulder problems became an issue again this past year and only having a redshirt freshman behind him who has never taken a collegiate snap even in a scrimmage is not a great comfort. There is a chance that one of those schools who signed a hot shot freshman will lose a potential starter to transfer. I think there will be more turnover on rosters at QB in particular before this spring and summer are over. Hopefully we can find a talented kid to come in and compete.

On the other hand, maybe Smothers lights things up in the spring and Haarberg looks like he belongs. Then maybe with the walk on QBs we have maybe you hold off and recruit your ass off to land a stud high school kid this next round.

Reactions: WHCSC
didn't AM turn it over 4x just vs rutgers in 2020? might want to check those #s again. he also lost a fumble vs MN (while throwing for an embarrassing 111 yards).

so those 2020 numbers should read: 8 TDs, 5 turnovers.
The only other distinction I’d add to @Cornicator comments is it’s a two way street.
MAC teams are playing against MAC defenses yes... but they are playing with MAC offenses.

Specifically within our conference, Nebraska was third from the bottom in passing YPG and soundly in the basement for TDs thrown.... less than 1/2 the total of #12 team in B1G if you take off the Betts handoff.

Like vs Like = AM’s not the beacon of success

Gotta love the ole deceased horse beating, but I know we got a bunch of necro-equine-abusing folks here, including yours truly.

Last edited:
We don't need a transfer qb who's going to unseat Adrian. We do need a transfer qb who can provide depth and be a good backup qb. We have enough runners already. I'd like to see a transfer qb who is accurate in the downfield passing game and can make decent decisions. Hopefully he would be able to push AM and the other qb's to start developing a downfield passing game as well. We're not going to win more than 4 games without it.

Well sir, for the 1st couple of years under HCSF our OLine couldn't run or pass block anybody "and" had hikes flying around everywhere. I really think there's hardly any qb who would have been accurate in downfield passing & making decent decisions with the huge, huge OLine problems we've had.

The Oline was somewhat better last year & "could" be much better this year. If so, that will help boatloads.

However imo, while a good downfield passing game is a great asset, a viciously good run game is far, far more important. If we can run the damn ball we'll all have fun winning games again.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well sir, for the 1st couple of years under HCSF our OLine couldn't run or pass block anybody "and" had hikes flying around everywhere. I really think there's hardly any qb who would have been accurate in downfield passing & making decent decisions with the huge, huge OLine problems we've had.

The Oline was somewhat better last year & "could" be much better this year. If so, that will help boatloads.

However imo, while a good downfield passing game is a great asset, a viciously good run game is far, far more important. If we can run the damn ball we'll all have fun winning games again.
Why would you think the Oline would all of a sudden get a lot better next year? People have been saying the same thing for several years in a row. But we still have the same below average coaching and nothing's really changed.

If Scott can't recruit good enough players traditionally maybe he can be successful in the portal? Maybe...

Why would you think the Oline would all of a sudden get a lot better next year? People have been saying the same thing for several years in a row. But we still have the same below average coaching and nothing's really changed.

I don't think the OL will 'suddenly' be better but I do think that the OL room future is bright because the talent level is higher with our younger players than with what we had previously. To say 'nothings really changing' is kind of crazy. Piper and Benhart got to experience 8 games. Corcoran got a chance to start a game. They are going to get 15 spring practices and a fall camp to get better and grow off of their previous experience. Jurgens will also get to snap hundreds of more times. These are all chances to work on consistency. So bottom line with younger players you will see more change than what you would see out of the older players. Will there growth be enough to offset Jaimes&Farniok to show improvement in 2021? We will see? I think so but not certain. I do think our line will be kick-butt good in 2022 and 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
agreed. not likely a transfer QB will win the starting job at NU. What is likely? Frost talking a fairly decent QB into transfer to NU anyway.

Well sir, to my eyes the OLine this year was better than the 1st two years for HCSF. Yeah, nothing great at all but still somewhat better. "If" I'm right there's a decent chance the OLine could really start to come around next year.

So, if they do, we're gonna have fun watching NU "start" to kick ass & take names. Then we better load up the fridge with at least 24 or 36 cold ones being ready to be slammed down.

I don't think the OL will 'suddenly' be better but I do think that the OL room future is bright because the talent level is higher with our younger players than with what we had previously. To say 'nothings really changing' is kind of crazy. Piper and Benhart got to experience 8 games. Corcoran got a chance to start a game. They are going to get 15 spring practices and a fall camp to get better and grow off of their previous experience. Jurgens will also get to snap hundreds of more times. These are all chances to work on consistency. So bottom line with younger players you will see more change than what you would see out of the older players. Will there growth be enough to offset Jaimes&Farniok to show improvement in 2021? We will see? I think so but not certain. I do think our line will be kick-butt good in 2022 and 2023.
i think the OL will be "at least" as good as last year and probably a little better. The OL gained more experience than they lost. Corcoran will probably be 90% of Jaimes. Every other OL position will be improved. You might remember there were several games when the OL was great.
with the amount of experience on the defense and a 4 year starting QB, i can see this team challenging for the division title. experience is the key variable in success and NEB will be the most experienced team in the conference next year.
if not next year, then when. Because the defense will be decimated the following year. Young kids on defense are not getting opportunity to play because of so many 5th and 6th year returnees.
i question whether Martinez will want to play a 5th year

ADVERTISEMENT