ADVERTISEMENT

4* transfer portal QB to watch? Jace Ruder

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Former 4* 5.8 dual threat QB from a little town in Kansas just across the border. He's been at UNC. Should have at least 2 years and probably 3. It will be interesting to see where he lands. Lots of 3 and 4 star kids other than Terry Wilson popping up. He was interested in NU back in 2018.

Scott Frost recruited Terry Wilson to Oregon and I believe he signed there and enrolled or committed to them. Then Helfrich got fired, Frost left then Wilson went JUCO route, He came out same year Joe Burrow was transferring from OSU.

IIt was thought behind the scenes that Frost was trying to get Wilson to Lincoln then i was thought Burrow or Wilson, then didn't happen he went to Kentucky and Burrow LSU.

I believe not getting one of them to come to Lincoln was the biggest mistake Frost made at Nebraska. It forced a true freshman Martinez who hadn't played football in 2 years into action and perhaps ruined him..

He actually committed to UNC summer of 2017 and looks like he was part of a Friday Night Lights event when Riley was around, doubt HCSF has ever had any contact with him previously. I believe he broke a leg during 2019 season and didn’t get many snaps this past year.
From Norton, KS which is southeast of McCook, so likely had a lot of exposure to Husker Nation growing up. Had offers from Florida St and Georgia amongst others, not bad considering where he grew up. I would guess he’s looking to be a starter right away yet no better than 3rd string at UNC.
Here’s another name, Cord Sandberg dual QB from Auburn. Had mop up duty in recent Citrus Bowl.Played minor league baseball for 5 years in Phillies organization. Class of 2013, 4* from T Frazier’s H.S. He just turned 26.

Reactions: Wasker77
Scott Frost recruited Terry Wilson to Oregon and I believe he signed there and enrolled or committed to them. Then Helfrich got fired, Frost left then Wilson went JUCO route, He came out same year Joe Burrow was transferring from OSU.

IIt was thought behind the scenes that Frost was trying to get Wilson to Lincoln then i was thought Burrow or Wilson, then didn't happen he went to Kentucky and Burrow LSU.

I believe not getting one of them to come to Lincoln was the biggest mistake Frost made at Nebraska. It forced a true freshman Martinez who hadn't played football in 2 years into action and perhaps ruined him..
I don’t think Wilson could have beat out AM, he’s not very good.

He actually committed to UNC summer of 2017 and looks like he was part of a Friday Night Lights event when Riley was around, doubt HCSF has ever had any contact with him previously. I believe he broke a leg during 2019 season and didn’t get many snaps this past year.
From Norton, KS which is southeast of McCook, so likely had a lot of exposure to Husker Nation growing up. Had offers from Florida St and Georgia amongst others, not bad considering where he grew up. I would guess he’s looking to be a starter right away yet no better than 3rd string at UNC.
Here’s another name, Cord Sandberg dual QB from Auburn. Had mop up duty in recent Citrus Bowl.Played minor league baseball for 5 years in Phillies organization. Class of 2013, 4* from T Frazier’s H.S. He just turned 26.
2013? Maybe Bubba will be back after all

Former 4* 5.8 dual threat QB from a little town in Kansas just across the border. He's been at UNC. Should have at least 2 years and probably 3. It will be interesting to see where he lands. Lots of 3 and 4 star kids other than Terry Wilson popping up. He was interested in NU back in 2018.

Hes fvcking terrible, and wouldn't even beat out Smothers.

Reactions: red scowl

You guys are really bad at this stuff.

Again, the only type of transfer QB who would be a viable option for Nebraska is an elite top 50 type talent who is basically getting beaten out by another similar player. And currently, that level of talent won't come to Nebraska until they prove they can develop legit boundary receivers.

If Adrian Martinez decided to transfer right now, he would be pursued more vigorously than dudes like Sandberg or Ruder.

Again, the only type of transfer QB who would be a viable option for Nebraska is an elite top 50 type talent who is basically getting beaten out by another similar player. And currently, that level of talent won't come to Nebraska until they prove they can develop legit boundary receivers.

If Adrian Martinez decided to transfer right now, he would be pursued more vigorously than dudes like Sandberg or Ruder.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. Neither player would be the type HCSF would pursue and definitely not be a candidate for a ‘ship in order to get either of them to Lincoln. I do find both of their backgrounds interesting though and that is why I posted it.
GBR!

Hes fvcking terrible, and wouldn't even beat out Smothers.
And you know that he's "fvcking terrible" how exactly? His D-1 video is non-existent. We haven't seen Smothers play and I doubt you've seen him even scrimmage in practice so we have no way of knowing what Smothers will be like against P5 competition. I wasn't guessing where Ruder would land. That's why the ❓ in the thread title. The difference between him and Wilson is that I think Ruder could have as many as 3 years of eligibility left with a redshirt year, an injury redshirt year and then this year not counting. You do realize that Frost got a former 4 star WR to walk on as a transfer as well right?

I was merely perusing the Rivals articles on portal QBs and saw this kid's name so I dug in to his profile a little. I remembered his name from back when he was in high school. He looks to me like he's every bit as intriguing as Bubba Starling and a much more likely possibility.:Cool: I'm not sold on Haarberg and I find it hard to believe with the injuries to AM and LM that we wouldn't have seen Smothers late this year if he was doing well in practice. I think another scholarship QB from the transfer portal would be a reasonably logical idea. IF nothing else go find a kid who is willing to walk on as a grad transfer from a smaller program like the kid from USD did at WR. That worked out well for us.

Exactly my point - I don't think there are any slam-dunk QB's in the portal who would be an immediate upgrade over AM/LM and you can automatically slot them into the starter role. You don't take a transfer QB unless you're either A) really low on QB numbers or B) you plan to make that transfer the new starter day1.

And you know that he's "fvcking terrible" how exactly? We haven't seen Smothers play and I doubt you've seen him even scrimmage in practice so we have no way of knowing what Smothers will be like against P5 competition. I wasn't guessing where Ruder would land. That's why the ❓ in the thread title. The difference between him and Wilson is that I think Ruder could have as many as 3 years of eligibility left with a redshirt year, an injury redshirt year and then this year not counting. You do realize that Frost got a former 4 star WR to walk on as a transfer as well right?

I was merely perusing the Rivals articles on portal QBs and saw this kid's name so I dug in to his profile a little. I remembered his name from back when he was in high school. He looks to me like he's every bit as intriguing as Bubba Starling and a much more likely possibility.:Cool: I'm not sold on Haarberg and I find it hard to believe with the injuries to AM and LM that we wouldn't have seen Smothers late this year if he was doing well in practice. I think another scholarship QB from the transfer portal would be a reasonably logical idea. IF nothing else go find a kid who is willing to walk on as a grad transfer from a smaller program like the kid from USD did at WR. That worked out well for us.

Ruder has never raised above 4th string at North Carolina, even before Mack Brown arrived and brought in a higher level of QB recruit.

He will end up at an FCS school, or maybe KU, which is a step below FCS... lol.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624

Your condescending attitude does not serve you well in this thread. Nobody could logically argue your other points in this post but that wasn't the point of starting this thread. We're not going to land a Justin Fields. That said, we struck out with our #1 QB target before we landed on Haarberg. It appears to me that there's a large question mark about the games of LM, LS and HH. IMO, our QB play specifically their ability to value the football has been a huge problem.

Four guys is not a large QB room and bringing in a transfer with 2-3 years left to play IMO, might be a smart move even if he wasn't considered a top 50 talent coming out of high school. Ruder was a 5.8 4 star QB coming out of high school. IMO 4 scholarship QBs probably isn't enough if you're going to run them as much as Frost has.

Exactly my point - I don't think there are any slam-dunk QB's in the portal who would be an immediate upgrade over AM/LM and you can automatically slot them into the starter role. You don't take a transfer QB unless you're either A) really low on QB numbers or B) you plan to make that transfer the new starter day1.
4 scholarship QBs is probably not enough. This year at times we only had 2 of them available and even they were both banged up. It sounds like Masker would have been called on in at least one game if AM couldn't have gone with his shoulder injury.

Your condescending attitude does not serve you well in this thread. Nobody could logically argue your other points in this post but that wasn't the point of starting this thread. We're not going to land a Justin Fields. That said, we struck out with our #1 QB target before we landed on Haarberg. It appears to me that there's a large question mark about the games of LM, LS and HH. IMO, our QB play specifically their ability to value the football has been a huge problem.

Four guys is not a large QB room and bringing in a transfer with 2-3 years left to play IMO, might be a smart move even if he wasn't considered a top 50 talent coming out of high school. Ruder was a 5.8 4 star QB coming out of high school. IMO 4 scholarship QBs probably isn't enough if you're going to run them as much as Frost has.

The only kid who is going to come in an unseat a 3 year starter with 7000+ career yards is a Justin Fields type athlete.

And I'm illustrating a condescending tone because anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid.

And Ruder isnt going to transfer somewhere to be another 4th stringer on the depth chart. If that's what he wanted, I'm sure he would stay at North Carolina. The kid wants to play. Bringing him up in reference to Nebraska football is pointless.

He knows everything. Don’t question him. We should be grateful that he is willing to educate us.

The only kid who is going to come in an unseat a 3 year starter with 7000+ career yards is a Justin Fields type athlete.

And I'm illustrating a condescending tone because anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid.

And Ruder isnt going to transfer somewhere to be another 4th stringer on the depth chart. If that's what he wanted, I'm sure he would stay at North Carolina. The kid wants to play. Bringing him up in reference to Nebraska football is pointless.
I NEVER said he had a chance to unseat AM. From what I've seen of Luke and the fact that they didn't bring Smothers in, I think there's a chance he could back up AM. That might be enough to entice a kid to give it a shot. We got a really nice grad transfer WR to walk on who is doing just that. Man who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? Yes it's condescending to call people who offer other possibilities stupid.

I clearly have a lot more common sense and understand the game of football more than anyone who thinks the 4th string QB at North Carolina is a viable option for Nebraska.
I don't think he was 4th string when he was healthy.

I clearly have a lot more common sense and understand the game of football more than anyone who thinks the 4th string QB at North Carolina is a viable option for Nebraska.
Now THAT take is condescending. I usually enjoy your takes but man you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Reactions: WHCSC
He knows everything. Don’t question him. We should be grateful that he is willing to educate us.
Normally he brings some pretty good stuff to the table. I'm not sure why he's so confrontational this morning. I haven't seen Ruder play nor has he. I just saw his name in the portal and looked him up. He had one game where he averaged 7 yards per carry before getting his collar bone broken. To me he looked like a more realistic guy to provide competition and depth at QB than a guy like Wilson did.

It would take a hell of a qb to come in and unseat a 3 year starter. As has been stated, that will be a tough sell. I think what we should realistically look for is someone to come in and be a quality #2, which is an even harder sell. The selling point is that Scott did bench Adrian for a bit this year when he was struggling. A quality #2 may not have released the reigns once they’d been handed to them. Do you think Scott would have put Adrian back in if Luke proved he was capable? That is the question that needs answered.

The transfer portal is beyond ridiculous at this point IMO. There's no such thing as "commitment" any more. Someone really ought to do a study of all the kids entering the portal and analyze whether they actually bettered themselves by transferring.

he's not as good as martinez

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
The transfer portal is beyond ridiculous at this point IMO. There's no such thing as "commitment" any more. Someone really ought to do a study of all the kids entering the portal and analyze whether they actually bettered themselves by transferring.
I have a strong feeling that you will eventually see the number of kids entering the portal decrease.

At some point parents have to step-in and say 'listen stupid, just stay where you are and get that free education because you're obviously not going to be good enough to play in the NFL if you can't even crack the rotation on your current team'.

yes, we need an elite top 50 QB to replace our guy, who's never finished higher than 63rd in QBR and never led the team to more than 4 wins in a season.

makes perfect sense.

he's not as good as martinez
NOBODY has said he is/was. The point is that we need some depth at QB and from what I've seen from Luke, I'm not sure he has the type of arm talent we need at QB. Regardless of some of the posters who pump him up, Luke has a large hole in his game right now at QB. Until Smothers proves he can do the job at least in the spring scrimmage, I'm not going to hold my breath on him being the guy either. Likewise Haarberg competed in high school against a pretty low level of talent. It's a huge jump and he's a project. I don't think taking somebody else's back up who maybe wasn't a great fit for their offense isn't the craziest idea. The kid from the Canes is an intriguing guy. I thought he looked good in their bowl game when King got injured. Personally I would be more comfortable if we had another guy like Andrew Bunch with some demonstrated D-1 experience on the roster providing depth.

NOBODY has said he is/was. The point is that we need some depth at QB and from what I've seen from Luke, I'm not sure he has the type of arm talent we need at QB. Regardless of some of the posters who pump him up, Luke has a large hole in his game right now at QB. Until Smothers proves he can do the job at least in the spring scrimmage, I'm not going to hold my breath on him being the guy either. Likewise Haarberg competed in high school against a pretty low level of talent. It's a huge jump and he's a project. I don't think taking somebody else's back up who maybe wasn't a great fit for their offense isn't the craziest idea. The kid from the Canes is an intriguing guy. I thought he looked good in their bowl game when King got injured. Personally I would be more comfortable if we had another guy like Andrew Bunch with some demonstrated D-1 experience on the roster providing depth.
That makes some sense. But most quarterbacks in the transfer portal are probably not interested in going somewhere else to be a backup.

Reactions: bshirt73
what are the odds that Smothers gets a shot next year? Seriously.

Some might think he plays some downs in clean up time (not sure how much of that will actually present itself) or unless AM gets hurt again.

If he did get a shot, and really is all that, people will be clamoring for Frost to replace AM with him.

I am not so sure Scott wants to go through all that again.

This is assuming Luke is not the backup qb to begin with..

So I'm not sure the kid even sees the field next year.

How do you guys see that working out?

Reactions: Juan Malo
what are the odds that Smothers gets a shot next year? Seriously.

Some might think he plays some downs in clean up time (not sure how much of that will actually present itself) or unless AM gets hurt again.

If he did get a shot, and really is all that, people will be clamoring for Frost to replace AM with him.

I am not so sure Scott wants to go through all that again.

This is assuming Luke is not the backup qb to begin with..

So I'm not sure the kid even sees the field next year.

How do you guys see that working out?
If AM is the starter for the next 2 seasons, I think it's likely he and Frost leave the program at the same time.

I have not watched a lot of Wilson, but what I have watched he hasn't been a very accurate passer. Is this true or just my perception of his abilities?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT