ADVERTISEMENT

4-Star OL Recruit Decommits from OU

Not that I'm complaining, but that strikes me as a bit unfair to their football program to pull your commit based on something that some idiot frat guys did. It's not like Stoops was on the bus chanting along.

On the other hand, I would no way, no how, cold day in hell, NEVER live in Oklahoma and it's because of the people of the state...so I understand.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
Not that I'm complaining, but that strikes me as a bit unfair to their football program to pull your commit based on something that some idiot frat guys did. It's not like Stoops was on the bus chanting along.

On the other hand, I would no way, no how, cold day in hell, NEVER live in Oklahoma and it's because of the people of the state...so I understand.
Way to generalize Beav. My inlaws live there....some of the best people you'd ever meet. Two guys in my wedding party (many moons ago) are from there.....again, great guys. Now, if you want to talk weather as the reason for not living there......100% agree. Hot as hell most of the time. Tornados everywhere. Ice in the winter (not snow - Ice). No thank you.

As you mentioned in your first part......idiot frat guys. Every school has them and if this recruit thinks he's going to find a college that doesn't have idiot frat guys or idiots in general he's being naive.

This post was edited on 3/9 3:32 PM by huskerbux

Originally posted by St. Anger:
Originally posted by 9and4:
How does the University of Mississippi ever recruit anybody, then?
Hot chicks, probably.
3XhRgxN.gif

Originally posted by huskerbux:

Way to generalize Beav. My inlaws live there....some of the best people you'd ever meet. Two guys in my wedding party (many moons ago) are from there.....again, great guys. Now, if you want to talk weather as the reason for not living there......100% agree. Hot as hell most of the time. Tornados everywhere. Ice in the winter (not snow - Ice). No thank you.

As you mentioned in your first part......idiot frat guys. Every school has them and if this recruit thinks he's going to find a college that doesn't have idiot frat guys or idiots in general he's being naive.

I never said you can't find any good people there. But in terms of the philosophy on life that state embraces, based on the people it elects and the policies it embraces...that state and I are not a match.

Wow, you would really hate Texas if you don't like the way OK is run. Texas is even more about smaller government, lower taxes and upholding the constitution. God bless Texas! No wonder so many people are flocking here. Funny how that happens when the libs ruin so many other states.

Originally posted by HuskerBorn:
Wow, you would really hate Texas if you don't like the way OK is run. Texas is even more about smaller government, lower taxes and upholding the constitution. God bless Texas! No wonder so many people are flocking here. Funny how that happens when the libs ruin so many other states.
And here we go.

Not sure what this philosophy of life you are talking about really is.

Are you basing it on a few things you have read about from a few crazies?

Originally posted by huskerbux:

I never said you can't find any good people there. But in terms of the philosophy on life that state embraces, based on the people it elects and the policies it embraces...that state and I are not a match.
And this is coming from a guy who lives in Chicago, one of the most corrupt, crime ridden cities in America.

Pretty closed minded, if you ask me. I know plenty of people from Oklahoma, and had a long standing relationship with someone from there who I still communicate with. Plenty of good people there. Of course, I feel the same way about Illinois as you do Oklahoma, so I guess there's that.
This post was edited on 3/9 7:05 PM by BetterRed

Ahhh Texas is successful because of two things - Oil (makes it pretty much impossible for a state to fail) and an overabundance of illegal immigrants which makes it really easy for businesses to ignore things like "workers rights" and "safety regulations." Take either of those things away and Texas would go the way of Wisconsin or Kansas.

Originally posted by Limeincoke:

Ahhh Texas is successful because of two things - Oil (makes it pretty much impossible for a state to fail) and an overabundance of illegal immigrants which makes it really easy for businesses to ignore things like "workers rights" and "safety regulations." Take either of those things away and Texas would go the way of Wisconsin or Kansas.
Clueless

You're right, I would also hate Texas and would also never live there despite the fact that it is doing well economically of late. There are multiple other states that make the list of places I have no desire to be, including ones that are colder than Northern IL.

It's cute how mad some of you get that I dare suggest that maybe, juuuuuuuust maybe, some states aren't a philosophical "fit" for everyone. Like I've just broken some kind of news. They would dislike me even more than I'd dislike them. I've seen this game played enough times. Liberals don't like conservatives, but conservatives CAN'T F---ING STAND liberals. Which might be why some of you in this thread aren't exactly dying to move to Portland and take up hackey sack.

I'll give you a hint: It's not Oklahoma's views on tax policy that rub me the wrong way. It's more the sort of stuff that comes up when you google "Oklahoma lawmaker."

VERY astute observation about crime in Chicago.

What's interesting about murders in Chicago is that if you factor in population, it's actually not as crime-prone as other U.S. cities. If you go by murders per 100,000 people, Chicago is 21st per the article I'll provide below. The #1 spot went to Flint, MI, which will be accused by no one of being a liberal bastion, if that's what you were somehow getting at.

Not that I'm proud of being 21st or anything, but the point is that any time you get millions of people together you're going to have crime.

I'm also aware that Chicago is to ideal examples of government what a landfill is to ideal air freshener scents. It's among the reasons I moved to a nearby suburban township that doesn't hold the clear distinction of being the nation's most inherently corrupt municipal government.

Illinois is a wonderful example of how well it works when you allow people to just want stuff and don't worry about how to pay for it. I dare say it's a scaled down version of what we've got in DC now, where people are politicians for the sake of being politicians and reaping the perks, and they don't actually give a sh** about doing a good job governing.

I'm actually curious to see how the state does under Rauner. He's already got his budget machete out and people are screaming every time he swings it...but somebody had to. I'm not in favor of taking either school of though on taxation/spending policy to the extreme. It's just as dumb to swing the pendulum clear left as it is to swing it clear right.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/14/despite-recent-shootings-chicago-nowhere-near-u-s-murder-capital/
This post was edited on 3/10 11:31 AM by TheBeav815

You're right, I would also hate Texas and would also never live there despite the fact that it is doing well economically of late. There are multiple other states that make the list of places I have no desire to be, including ones that are colder than Northern IL.

It's cute how mad some of you get that I dare suggest that maybe, juuuuuuuust maybe, some states aren't a philosophical "fit" for everyone. Like I've just broken some kind of news. They would dislike me even more than I'd dislike them. I've seen this game played enough times. Liberals don't like conservatives, but conservatives CAN'T F---ING STAND liberals. Which might be why some of you in this thread aren't exactly dying to move to Portland and take up hackey sack.

I'll give you a hint: It's not Oklahoma's views on tax policy that rub me the wrong way. It's more the sort of stuff that comes up when you google "Oklahoma lawmaker."

What's interesting about murders in Chicago is that if you factor in population, it's actually not as crime-prone as other U.S. cities. If you go by murders per 100,000 people, Chicago is 21st per the article I'll provide below. The #1 spot went to Flint, MI, which will be accused by no one of being a liberal bastion, if that's what you were somehow getting at.

Not that I'm proud of being 21st or anything, but the point is that any time you get millions of people together you're going to have crime.

I'm also aware that Chicago is to ideal examples of government what a landfill is to ideal air freshener scents. It's among the reasons I moved to a nearby suburban township that doesn't hold the clear distinction of being the nation's most inherently corrupt municipal government.

Illinois is a wonderful example of how well it works when you allow people to just want stuff and don't worry about how to pay for it. I dare say it's a scaled down version of what we've got in DC now, where people are politicians for the sake of being politicians and reaping the perks, and they don't actually give a sh** about doing a good job governing.

I'm actually curious to see how the state does under Rauner. He's already got his budget machete out and people are screaming every time he swings it...but somebody had to. I'm not in favor of taking either school of though on taxation/spending policy to the extreme. It's just as dumb to swing the pendulum clear left as it is to swing it clear right.

This post was edited on 3/10 1:19 PM by TheBeav815
I think you'd love Austin.

Originally posted by hamneggs53:

This post was edited on 3/10 1:19 PM by TheBeav815
I think you'd love Austin.
If Austin truly is what they want you to believe it is, it would be too far to the other extreme for me. I'm left of center, but I'm more center than left. Plus I'd have to see that stupid horns logo everywhere, and it would give me hypertension over time.

I do that thing where I'm liberal about stuff for very conservative reasons, if that makes sense. So for example I don't like homeless people and I don't want them around pissing on my train and bugging me for money. But studies suggest that actually the cheapest way to accomplish that is to hand them an apartment and a lifetime supply of booze and go, "Here, it costs us the least amount of money for you to piss your life away in this particular location."

So sometimes you have to choose if you're TRULY a fiscal conservative, or if you're just a pull-your-own-bootstraps social conservative. Is it really about the money, or is it really about your ideals?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT