ADVERTISEMENT

4 options for college football

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Adam Carriker listed 4 possible options for college football if we are not back to normal by fall. They are:

- Have the season start in Oct or Nov and go into Feb or March
- Have just the athletes come back, play games as normally scheduled but with empty stadiums.
- Move it to the spring semester. So start in Jan and play till May or June
- Shorten the season to just conf games

As he said the most logical option is just moving it back to Oct or Nov. Skipping the month long bowl break in Dec. That way it really only pushes the season out another month than normal.

However if things haven't even calmed down by then, spring might be the next logical option. Although Im not sure how they would handle recruiting, weight training, and offseason work outs before turning around and going into the fall 2021 season.

Reactions: Flick2.0
I don’t see them playing college football in January and February and I have more than one reason too.

I also don’t seeing College Football playing a football season in May and June what is the sense in that and then turn around in August and start another season..

I like the idea of shorting the season and just play conference games and no lay-off in December and play bowl games if the virus doesn’t roar it’s ugly head upon us again..

I don’t see them playing college football in January and February and I have more than one reason too.

I also don’t seeing College Football playing a football season in May and June what is the sense in that and then turn around in August and start another season..

I like the idea of shorting the season and just play conference games and no lay-off in December and play bowl games if the virus doesn’t roar it’s ugly head upon us again..
This I think is the concern. It is going to depend drastically if a person has had it can they be reinfected. I like many, believe this has been going through the population to an extent since Dec and Jan. Hopefully the vast majority will have resistance to this come late fall so it if it does start up again it is at least manageable.
College football is big business and all ADs will try to have it if at all possible. If no football season at all this could do in many smaller schools programs.

Reactions: scarletred
if this thing peters out soon, like i hope it will, i think we’ll see it in fall.
otherwise, it may not matter much to me.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see how there can be a season until there's a vaccine. Even if the virus peaks and they don't have fans in the stands, it just takes one player, coach, trainer, administrator, etc. to contract the virus and infect everyone else they're in contact with.

I understand the financial impact of what not having a season would to do to athletic departments across the county. It would be crippling. However, if they come back too early and there is an outbreak because of it, there would be hell to pay. Everyone involved in the decision to come back would be on the chopping block.

The only ways the season gets played is if they find some kind of cure/treatment in the next couple months. No university is going to risk the liability of packing 100,000 people together.

Assuming concerns for the virus will still be present in July/August: Imo shortening the season will be the only viable option. Moving the dates to the spring won't happen and would just cause problems for player safety in the next season

Are you saying everything canceled forever.

No one has made that statement.:cool:
Cancel football 6 months before it happens and nobody has a clue what’ll happen a week from now much less that far in advance

That’s not realistic.

We need to get a grip as a nation and get back on our feet. Everyone’s crying in the corner like scared little schoolgirls bc of a respiratory infection.

The show must go on!!!

Reactions: baseball31ne
Eventually you’re going to have to be realistic about the situation at hand..
I think the August-September timeframe is a great time to start the football season. We can't just close everything forever. By the end of April everyone is going to get tired of sheltering in place. Starting in May, I think most places will start going back to normal.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Cancel football 6 months before it happens and nobody has a clue what’ll happen a week from now much less that far in advance

That’s not realistic.

We need to get a grip as a nation and get back on our feet. Everyone’s crying in the corner like scared little schoolgirls bc of a respiratory infection.

The show must go on!!!

Lighten up Francis, it’s only April..

Reactions: bluenrg
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see how there can be a season until there's a vaccine. Even if the virus peaks and they don't have fans in the stands, it just takes one player, coach, trainer, administrator, etc. to contract the virus and infect everyone else they're in contact with.

I understand the financial impact of what not having a season would to do to athletic departments across the county. It would be crippling. However, if they come back too early and there is an outbreak because of it, there would be hell to pay. Everyone involved in the decision to come back would be on the chopping block.
Herd immunity, After the majority of us our infected ,and we all will soon be. People’s immunity to this will strengthen enough, that that combined with treatments like HC will make it safe to come out of the Bat Cave .

They're saying that it'll flatten out this summer but will be back in the fall and winter.

Herd immunity, After the majority of us our infected ,and we all will soon be. People’s immunity to this will strengthen enough, that that combined with treatments like HC will make it safe to come out of the Bat Cave .

We won't have herd immunity until 70% of the population gets the virus. That's not going to happen anytime soon with most people staying home.

Our only hope for sports this fall is if someone comes up with a treatment in the next couple months. It sounds like the convalescent plasma treatment is showing promise.

just my opinion, but at some point, the economic impact and pushback will take priority over people who die from the Chinese virus.

when it happens, the group thinking will be more evolutionary.. as the herd gets weeded out, the herd is going to move forward regardless.

at some point, there will be vaccines and such, so long term, it will be treated like anything else, but this quarantine stuff won't continue past May.. (if even that long)

There will be those that want to continue the quarantine, and those that don't. They will want to get on with it and let nature sort it out.

There is a possibility, albeit low, of conflict coming as this realization comes into focus.

I have no desire to watch football with empty stadiums. Just cancel if that's the only option.

How long this last is just a guess. Last I heard Trump is was not consulting with Carriker or Herbstreit on COVID19.

If things are still shutdown in September I cannot imagine how bad of shape the world will be. At some point soon life has got to move on. I can't imagine living in a hole forever watching gloom and doom news.

Adam Carriker listed 4 possible options for college football if we are not back to normal by fall. They are:

- Have the season start in Oct or Nov and go into Feb or March
- Have just the athletes come back, play games as normally scheduled but with empty stadiums.
- Move it to the spring semester. So start in Jan and play till May or June
- Shorten the season to just conf games

As he said the most logical option is just moving it back to Oct or Nov. Skipping the month long bowl break in Dec. That way it really only pushes the season out another month than normal.

However if things haven't even calmed down by then, spring might be the next logical option. Although Im not sure how they would handle recruiting, weight training, and offseason work outs before turning around and going into the fall 2021 season.
It's good to be thinking about all the alternatives but no decisions can be made given the uncertainty right now of how this is going to play out timing wise.

There are many, many solutions in different development stages to address the prevention of the virus. If one should achieve a breakthrough and become feasible/available sooner that's one thing. If though we have to wait for the normal vaccine development time up to a year and a half, that's quite another. Obviously nobody in the world knows right now what's going to happen in what time frame.

You guys need to be open to the real possibility of no football this season. Sometimes life is more than sports. And I love sports.
100% there is more to life than sports. In times like these sports helps take ones mind of the bad. Since we don't have sports. Thinking about sports returning is as close as we can get.

I agree with Rambo. No one said you had to show up to the games. You can stay at home and watch.

Rambo also doesn't make decisions for these sports leagues. Lots of tough guys have changed their mind when it comes time to put their name on something to be executed. Thats the situation these president's find themselves in when they are considering football on campus.Edit...this phenomena is at the center of the bewilderment of Trump's base as to why he's going along with Fauci and/or deep state recommendation.

We all understand the stakes. No college FB is an ice age type of event in the words of Pollard. But that said there still is a possibility no one wants to pony up for the liability of it or go against health guidance if something similar to current guidelines are still out there in 90 days. Edit...folks are rejoicing that PGA found landing spots for stuff but its the same state as everything else currently...pending Heath counsel at the time. that's just the situation.

Last edited:
I think there is nearly a zero percent chance of any organized college team sport resuming until a vaccine exists. While it is apparently true that the death rate is very low for young adults, no one yet knows what the long term lung and other damage will be for the very ill who survive. And what university will be willing to risk even one death? (Well, maybe Jerry Falwell’s Liberty U.)

My 38 year old nephew, a very fit Major and pilot seems to have survived a dose and has now passed the two negative tests required to resume duties. He has remarked that this was by far the sickest he has ever been and his lungs are anything but back to normal. BTW he had no known pre-existing medical conditions.

Last edited:
Rambo also doesn't make decisions for these sports leagues. Lots of tough guys have changed their mind when it comes time to put their name on something to be executed. Thats the situation these president's find themselves in when they are considering football on campus.Edit...this phenomena is at the center of the bewilderment of Trump's base as to why he's going along with Fauci and/or deep state recommendation.

We all understand the stakes. No college FB is an ice age type of event in the words of Pollard. But that said there still is a possibility no one wants to pony up for the liability of it or go against health guidance if something similar to current guidelines are still out there in 90 days. Edit...folks are rejoicing that PGA found landing spots for stuff but its the same state as everything else currently...pending Heath counsel at the time. that's just the situation.
None of us make decisions for sports leagues. We just sit here and argue with each other about our "expertise" because someone has a friend whose in the medical field. Good for you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT