ADVERTISEMENT

4* LB Isaac Slade-Matautia commits to

HuskerO

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 11, 2006
Oregon.

I believe we were in his top 3 or so. Not sure if we were in the running the past couple of weeks though.

I don't think the hiring of Taggert will work out long term. Eventually the shiny facilities and alternate uniforms fade away. Gone are the days of Chip Kelly

GBR

Reactions: SOHusker11
Hopefully he's the last one to choose Oregon over us.

Unless something changes drastically this weekend, they will get Lenoir as well, possibly Thompson (although we might be in better shape here than believed).

What? No, a new staff with no connections to the area can't land high ranked guys that fast.
Just consider how relevant Oregon has been (minus last year) and how relevant Nebraska has been the last 15 years... Maybe, possibly, that just might have something to do with Oregon's ability to recruit, no?

So what did Riley and Company do wrong that they have lost this battle to Oregon with this recruit?

Have Banker recruit him?
Touche...

I am simply saying Oregon is more attractive at the moment to some because they were in the playoffs a few years ago and have been relevant much more so in recent years than Nebraska has. Nebraska hasn't even been close to a playoff or a BCS bowl most of this century. Doesn't this matter?

Of course it matters. Winning games helps recruiting. Oregon has won more games including big games. Last year wasn't great for them, but the kids being recruited now weren't growing up when Nebraska was beating up on people. We need to win games, and win BIG games, for most kids to sign with us. Showing some sort of signs that we're on the right path helps too. Going out and losing by 60 to Ohio State doesn't help.

Reactions: timnsun
Of course it matters. Winning games helps recruiting. Oregon has won more games including big games. Last year wasn't great for them, but the kids being recruited now weren't growing up when Nebraska was beating up on people. We need to win games, and win BIG games, for most kids to sign with us. Showing some sort of signs that we're on the right path helps too. Going out and losing by 60 to Ohio State doesn't help.
My point was more for JRE, but thanks for helping me make my point!

Don't get me wrong I'm bummed we couldn't get him to commit. Oregon is probably a more logical choice since he is from Hawaii. Due to how expensive airfare is it would be difficult for most people even with a scholarship to fly him back and forth 4-7 times a year. That's basically an 8 hour deal and 3 flights and time zones from Nebraska to Hawaii and then Hawaii to Nebraska. Where as Oregon is a direct flight most likely. When he visited it was probably more of an opportunity to go see more of what inland is all about.

Must have been at least his 2nd one in Oregon, because we all know the bad things reset to zero upon moving to another state.
I think it had more to do with his last one being 7 years prior. Still not good and I know what you mean.

I'm not sure why so many had hopes up for Slade. With Ward, we filled our LB class and Slade was a "make room for" if he happened to want to come here.

I would have loved to have the kid too, don't get me wrong, but he seemed to be a bit of a long shot option when we took Ward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT