ADVERTISEMENT

38 seconds left.....

cubsker

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2003
NW is 64 yards away. Looks like we have on the field six defensive backs plus Newby. The 6 look to be #41 D. Williams, #14 Neal, #21 Jackson, #23 Bootle, #24 A. Williams, and (I believe) #19 Dismuke. They line up with twins to both sides. For reasons I can't fathom, we have A. Williams in the slot 3 yards off the ball on Nagel, their best WR who has killed us all day. (Similarly, on the other side Tre Neal is at the LOS against the slot receiver.) Their outside WR on that side runs inside while Nagel easily beats A. Williams to the outside. That's the not the worst part. Our deep safety on that side (again, I think it's Dismuke) comes crashing in and hits the outside receiver for some reason. It's one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. Somehow Williams manages to track down Nagel, because otherwise there was no one else out there and Nagel goes to the house.

Next play, they're in twins to each side again. We're in a zone coverage. It looks to me like Neal lets a WR run right by him down the middle of the field for the big gain to the 5. I'm not well versed enough in zone defense to say it's definitely his fault, but it looks like it to me.

Reactions: oldjar07
Why is it so important that you figure out who's absolute fault it is? Are you personally going to bench him? The coaches & players will watch film and talk over how to fix the mistake. How about you play your role as a fan and not act like this is a court of law.

NW is 64 yards away. Looks like we have on the field six defensive backs plus Newby. The 6 look to be #41 D. Williams, #14 Neal, #21 Jackson, #23 Bootle, #24 A. Williams, and (I believe) #19 Dismuke. They line up with twins to both sides. For reasons I can't fathom, we have A. Williams in the slot 3 yards off the ball on Nagel, their best WR who has killed us all day. (Similarly, on the other side Tre Neal is at the LOS against the slot receiver.) Their outside WR on that side runs inside while Nagel easily beats A. Williams to the outside. That's the not the worst part. Our deep safety on that side (again, I think it's Dismuke) comes crashing in and hits the outside receiver for some reason. It's one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. Somehow Williams manages to track down Nagel, because otherwise there was no one else out there and Nagel goes to the house.

Next play, they're in twins to each side again. We're in a zone coverage. It looks to me like Neal lets a WR run right by him down the middle of the field for the big gain to the 5. I'm not well versed enough in zone defense to say it's definitely his fault, but it looks like it to me.
Yes I saw that. That whole last drive was one massive ****up from the coaching staff and individual players. I don't know what the hell kind of coverage they were running on that second to last play. Why did we have our safeties covering their receivers one on one? Why did we have a backup as our deep safety? It just makes no sense.

Reactions: bigredhunter
Why is it so important that you figure out who's absolute fault it is? Are you personally going to bench him? The coaches & players will watch film and talk over how to fix the mistake. How about you play your role as a fan and not act like this is a court of law.

Unfortunately you can't bench our DC.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
True, but you ought to be able to turn the game over to your defense with 2 minutes left and no timeouts and say get a stop and close this one out. Heck, you ought to be able to turn it over to the defense with a 10 point lead and 5 minutes to play and say get one stop in the next 2 possessions to close this one out. IMO, coaches and players thought it was over with 5 to go and kind of lost focus on closing out the game. One of those things they all have to learn or relearn in this process. I am guessing the next time there will be a different approach in the last five minutes.

I thought we might discuss football here....silly me.

True, but you ought to be able to turn the game over to your defense with 2 minutes left and no timeouts and say get a stop and close this one out. Heck, you ought to be able to turn it over to the defense with a 10 point lead and 5 minutes to play and say get one stop in the next 2 possessions to close this one out. IMO, coaches and players thought it was over with 5 to go and kind of lost focus on closing out the game. One of those things they all have to learn or relearn in this process. I am guessing the next time there will be a different approach in the last five minutes.
That next time might be next year? Who knows... I just hope that loss doesn't crush this team into not believing. I am all on board with Frost and his staff and I will give them all the time they need but man it's hard being a Husker and Chiefs fan right now... Both offenses are fun to watch but the D is incredibly frustrating.

did newby used to be 5 or am i just dumb? probably the latter.
I believe you're thinking about Dedrick Young, not Marcus Newby.. he was #3..... Young is the LB this year that I believe you are talking about

I believe you're thinking about Dedrick Young, not Marcus Newby.. he was #3..... Young is the LB this year that I believe you are talking about

yes, i meant young. was thinking at some point newby was #5, but i could be wrong again.

Young must be deemed better in coverage than Barry, as Barry didn’t see the field the entire last series

Should any ILB or any LB for that matter been on the field - maybe you can’t go 7-8 DBs because they don’t know the assignments

Reactions: SC_'sker
Young must be deemed better in coverage than Barry, as Barry didn’t see the field the entire last series

Should any ILB or any LB for that matter been on the field - maybe you can’t go 7-8 DBs because they don’t know the assignments
He is significantly better than Barry in pass coverage.

He is significantly better than Barry in pass coverage.
I wouldn't say that, Young isn't good in pass coverage either. I'm guessing Gifford is much better than both of them, and he can pass rush and stop the run. I'm not sure if he was out there or not but he should be ahead of those two in a dime package.

I’m surprised we never see more than 2 corners on the field at once even when teams go 4 and 5 wide. Seems unfair to put blame on Safeties for not being able to keep up with Slot Receivers. I’d rather see Cam Taylor and Lamar Jackson at CB and Bootle and Lee at Nickel and Dime covering the slots.

For comparison, the following guys were all good to decent Safeties for us, some making it to the NFL. Imagine them trying to cover a slot WR like JD Spielman in man coverage. Picture Larry Asante, Daimion Stafford, PJ Smith, Courtney Osborne, Austin Cassidy, Corey Cooper, Kieron Williams, Rickey Thenarse, or Kieron Williams trying to keep up with a Spielman. Most good Safeties would get embarrassed against a good slot.

Let the Safeties play Safety and get some more Corners out there!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that, Young isn't good in pass coverage either. I'm guessing Gifford is much better than both of them, and he can pass rush and stop the run. I'm not sure if he was out there or not but he should be ahead of those two in a dime package.

Nowhere did I proclaim young to be great and pretty sure Gifford was in rushing the passer onthat sequence until he got cramps.

I’m surprised we never see more than 2 corners on the field at once even when teams go 4 and 5 wide. Seems unfair to put blame on Safeties for not being able to keep up with Slot Receivers. I’d rather see Cam Taylor and Lamar Jackson at CB and Bootle and Lee at Nickel and Dime covering the slots.

For comparison, the following guys were all good to decent Safeties for us, some making it to the NFL. Imagine them trying to cover a slot WR like JD Spielman in man coverage. Picture Larry Asante, Daimion Stafford, PJ Smith, Corey Cooper, Kieron Williams, Rickey Thenarse, or Kieron Williams trying to keep up with a Spielman. Most good Safeties would get embarrassed against a good slot.

Let the Safeties play Safety and get some more Corners out there!
I agree but even safeties should know in that situation to not play so tight that you let your guy get past you. The football iq on our team is astoundingly bad.

I agree but even safeties should know in that situation to not play so tight that you let your guy get past you. The football iq on our team is astoundingly bad.
True but they are Safeties. Getting upset with them for having poor man to man skills is like getting upset with a RB for not running good routes or not making a tough catch.

ADVERTISEMENT