ADVERTISEMENT

37 days: Best #37 in Husker history

Unofficial 2005 Team MVP and 14-year NFL Veteran Punter Sam Koch

Honorable Mention...
- SAM Tony Ortiz
- Who can forget Jake Wesch, the holder on Alex Henery's 57-yard FG against Colorado in 2008? Winking
- And of course, IB Wyatt Mazour. WinkingWinking

Agree with Geddes, who was a standout at both linebacker and middle guard. And Koch was a fantastic punter.

I will also toss in Monte Johnson, who never cracked Devaney's starting lineup as a D-lineman but still had a long and successful NFL career as a linebacker.

Geddes first and then Monte Johnson who made a name for himself in the NFL..

I love Geddes, a star on the team when I first started paying attention to NU football (mid-60's). Monte Johnson also wore this number, as did 1932 All-American center Lawrence Ely.

You must be one of the older farts on this board like myself, Pennsy and Sparky.;)

Thought of this last night, I happened to be watching this game with a young Tony Ortiz playing LB with that 37 on his chest. That defense had some serious talent. I can't get over Mike Rucker having to split time at SDE, dude was a sack machine and had to scrap for playing time with Wistrom locking down WDE and Kelsay sharing time at the SDE spot.

Watch two things:

1) How fast the d-line comes off the ball

2) How our runners attack vertically and lower their shoulder going into traffic. When they can see they're cut off they don't start dancing, they grab a few more yards and run hard into the contact.

I think we criminally underrated Ahman Green when he was here and have done so even more since he's been gone. He was just another NFL-caliber back to us at the time, I think he's easily a Top 5 all timer at NU, you could make a case for Top 3.

Thought of this last night, I happened to be watching this game with a young Tony Ortiz playing LB with that 37 on his chest. That defense had some serious talent. I can't get over Mike Rucker having to split time at SDE, dude was a sack machine and had to scrap for playing time with Wistrom locking down WDE and Kelsay sharing time at the SDE spot.

Watch two things:

1) How fast the d-line comes off the ball

2) How our runners attack vertically and lower their shoulder going into traffic. When they can see they're cut off they don't start dancing, they grab a few more yards and run hard into the contact.

I think we criminally underrated Ahman Green when he was here and have done so even more since he's been gone. He was just another NFL-caliber back to us at the time, I think he's easily a Top 5 all timer at NU, you could make a case for Top 3.

Hes easily top 3. Rozier, Green, and Phillips in any order as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: schuele
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT