ADVERTISEMENT

35 days : Best #35 in Husker history

Kinney: All-American and 4 TDs in the Game of the Century.

Honorable Mention...
- FB Andy Janovich. Took long enough to get him the ball. It's too bad his redshirt was burned for special temas and a few plays in blowouts.
- 4-year NU Starter and 12-year NFL Veteran Kicker Kris Brown.
- LB Steve Damkroger.

Just looked at the box score from the Game of the Century: Only 1 penalty for 5 yards... total (by Nebraska).

EDIT: Further, 9 TDs combined were scored that day by a total of 4 players: Rodgers (1), Kinney (4), Jon Harrison (2), Jack Mildren (2).

Ed Weir. First Cornhusker voted to the College Football Hall of Fame.
Agreed. Jeff Kinney will always be a central part of Husker championship lore, Damkroger was a fierce hitter and Berns is one of my all-time favorites (that '78 Oklahoma game day was like American Graffiti. It never ended. Some of the stories can even be repeated in polite company). But Ed Weir is the man. The Four Horsemen of Notre Dame lost two games in their careers -- both to Nebraska. After the second one, Knute Rockne declared that Ed Weir was the best football player he'd ever seen. Good enough for me.
PS. In the 70s, Ed Weir was still alive and hung around the stadium alot. He walked with a severe limp and was elderly (obviously), but what a kind, humble human being. It was a thrill just to talk to him.

Agreed. Jeff Kinney will always be a central part of Husker championship lore, Damkroger was a fierce hitter and Berns is one of my all-time favorites (that '78 Oklahoma game day was like American Graffiti. It never ended. Some of the stories can even be repeated in polite company). But Ed Weir is the man. The Four Horsemen of Notre Dame lost two games in their careers -- both to Nebraska. After the second one, Knute Rockne declared that Ed Weir was the best football player he'd ever seen. Good enough for me.
PS. In the 70s, Ed Weir was still alive and hung around the stadium alot. He walked with a severe limp and was elderly (obviously), but what a kind, humble human being. It was a thrill just to talk to him.
Also, a member of those '70 and '71 teams once told me that Jeff Kinney was the best all-around athlete he ever played with or against. Better than Rodgers? Yes.
I am told that Kinney's shredded jersey from the '71 OU game hung in the McCook barber shop for many years. Can anyone confirm?

Also, a member of those '70 and '71 teams once told me that Jeff Kinney was the best all-around athlete he ever played with or against. Better than Rodgers? Yes.
I am told that Kinney's shredded jersey from the '71 OU game hung in the McCook barber shop for many years. Can anyone confirm?

While I won’t dispute another player saying Kinney was a better all around athlete he ever played with.

Devaney himself said Rodgers was the best player he had ever seen on a football field.
FWIW..

One of my all time favorites, Jeff Kinney. For those that have never seen him p,ay, watch the Game of the Century. One of the toughest guys to ever wear the N. He refused to let us lose.

Kevin Parsons. 1986 Starting LB.

One of my all time favorites, Jeff Kinney. For those that have never seen him p,ay, watch the Game of the Century. One of the toughest guys to ever wear the N. He refused to let us lose.
I still remember his and Jerry taggies Jersey have torn off. Gawd I wish they’d bring back tear away jerseys back

Reactions: rrthusker
Yes and it is now in McCook High School. It is a shredded mess.

Yes and it is now in McCook High School. It is a shredded mess.
Thread Needs a pic:

6943518.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT