ADVERTISEMENT

34 days: Best #34 in Husker history

Lots of good players at this number in recent decades, but there is a clear top of the heap: Butkus Award Winner, Academic All-American, and #5 overall NFL Pick OLB Trev Alberts.

Amazing to dislocate your elbow against Oklahoma, then record 3 sacks the next month in the national title game.

Funny story I read a few years ago. In an effort to improved his draft stock, the pale midwesterner from Cedar Falls, Iowa, would go to tanning salons after hours.

Honorable Mention...
- K Drew Brown, NCAA record holder for most FGs in a half (5).
- DE Cam Meredith
- IB/LB Cody Glenn, imagine had he gotten to spend more time as a LB under Pelini. I still remember an interview he had with Schick and Nick, went something like this:
Schick: "Do you wish you would have switched to defense earlier?"
Glenn: "Did you see that defense?!"
- SAM Stewart Bradley
- WLB Randy Stella. It's too bad his time at NU ended early, but was fun to see a LB returning kicks. Heckuva punt blocker as well.
- TE Vershan Jackson. While not a huge stat man, a reliable blocker and great leader on the 1997 national title team.

If I remember correctly in Dave’s picture for the team he wore a big bow tie with his suit, oh weren’t the 1970’s great
RRIYJPYSHRHWLOM.20020924000249.jpg

Always liked watching Tyreese Knox run in the late 80s. He seemed a lot bigger than 5'10/215. Had over 240 yards on 54 carries in the '88 Fiesta bowl against FSU/Deion Sanders. However, he had a key fumble late in that game that likely prevented a win and a #2 or 3 final ranking that year.

I thought about both Knox and Newby, probably could have replaced Vershan Jackson and/or Cam Meredith on my list with them.

I left Newby off my list because the teams he played on were so poor and he wasn't really doing a lot to make them better. Obviously, injuries contribute to that.

By the time I got to Knox, my list was pretty long. That and I didn't see him play live. That is an impressive stat line from the '88 Fiesta Bowl, though, @goldencohusker, thanks for sharing!

Always liked watching Tyreese Knox run in the late 80s. He seemed a lot bigger than 5'10/215. Had over 240 yards on 54 carries in the '88 Fiesta bowl against FSU/Deion Sanders. However, he had a key fumble late in that game that likely prevented a win and a #2 or 3 final ranking that year.
I doubt Tyreese Knox had those stats in one game

He seemed bigger because his neck was as wide as his head. Just looking at his picture in the media guide you would think he was a defensive tackle.

He seemed bigger because his neck was as wide as his head. Just looking at his picture in the media guide you would think he was a defensive tackle.

Knox and Keith Jones provided a good thunder/lightening combination. That '87 team was good - beat UCLA with Aikman and shutout an Okie State team in Stillwater that included 2 future NFL hall of fame backs (Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders). Just couldn't handle the coked-up Charles Thompson Sooners.

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
Knox and Keith Jones provided a good thunder/lightening combination. That '87 team was good - beat UCLA with Aikman and shutout an Okie State team in Stillwater that included 2 future NFL hall of fame backs (Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders). Just couldn't handle the coked-up Charles Thompson Sooners.

Steve Taylor had a banner day in that UCLA win..

Was that the Okie State game where the two teams ended up at the same movie theater the night before the game?

ADVERTISEMENT