ADVERTISEMENT

32 years ago today

This is one of the games that made Bird say, "I'm pretty sure it's not made in a defensive stance", when the Hawks were unveiling a statue of Dominic Wilkins.

Thanks for posting--one of the greatest exhibitions of pure shooting--can't thank you enough!

Larry was freaking GREAT. What makes me not like him as much? Idiots like my slow-ass unathletic 6'5" brother in law who insist he is the best ever ahead of Jordan, Kareem etc.

Shouldnt let an idiot cloud my judgement, but well..... Im sure some of you guys have BiLs or FiLs like that too. Lol

Bird was so hot that day that the Hawks were giving each other five as he kept draining shot after shot.

Awesome. I miss pure shooters- guys who would actually mean to bank it in (like billiards), on something other than a layup. Somehow, he did all that without pounding his chest, gesturing, getting the angry look and shouting about his own awesomeness, etc. The good ol' days. Thanks for posting. Larry Legend!

Last edited:
Reactions: arf_man
Awesome. I miss pure shooters- guys who would actually mean to bank it in (like billiards), on something other than a layup. Thanks for posting. Larry Legend!

The younger guys today just don't understand how great he was. They see a pasty white guy who couldn't run and jump. His basketball IQ was off the chart! He would dominate physically superior athletes by beating them mentally. His passing, shooting and defense was better than LeBron's. Pat Riley once said that he'd pick Michael Jordan if a game was on the line. He'd pick Bird if his life was on the line. Check out some videos on Larry. Many blacks didn't respect him when he came in the league. He was hyped as the Great White Hope. It soon became apparent that he wasn't hype at all. He could ball like few others. Man, those Celtics/Lakers matchups back in the day were for the ages.

The younger guys today just don't understand how great he was. They see a pasty white guy who couldn't run and jump. His basketball IQ was off the chart! He would dominate physically superior athletes by beating them mentally. His passing, shooting and defense was better than LeBron's. Pat Riley once said that he'd pick Michael Jordan if a game was on the line. He'd pick Bird if his life was on the line.
Agreed that younger guys dont appreciate how great he was.

Ill give you shooting over LeBron. Passing i'd say maybe a draw. Defense? Larry was better than people give him credit for defensively. But LeBron is a physical FREAK. Maybe a handful of 6'9" 250lbs guys in the world can move like that. He could potentially guard anyone on the court.

And the Riley quote is in reference to making a shot with game and life on line iirc.

And who knows how much longer he could have played, and how much better he'd been if he had decided in the mid 80s to hire someone to replace his mother's driveway, instead of doing it himself. The beginnings of his back issues.

Possibly the greatest trash talker, but he backed it up. Classic examples:

http://www.viralhoops.com/larry-bird-trash-talk/

And who knows how much longer he could have played, and how much better he'd been if he had decided in the mid 80s to hire someone to replace his mother's driveway, instead of doing it himself. The beginnings of his back issues.

Bird went all out. You seem him dive for balls even with his hurt back. He could play no other way.

On a West Coast trip in 1986, Bird told the entire Dallas Mavericks bench that after the time out, Ainge would inbounds the pass to DJ, who would hit Bird in the corner where Bird would step back and take a three. “So you got that?” Bird queried the bench. “I’m gonna stand right here. I’m not going to move. They’ll pass me the ball, and the next sound you here will be the ball hitting the bottom of the net.” And that’s exactly what happened. Bird winked at the Maverick before heading back down to the other end of the court.

http://www.viralhoops.com/larry-bird-trash-talk/

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Bird my not have been athletic from a running and jumping standpoint but he had his own athletic ability, he was the most well coordinated guy ever for his size, had very quick hands, also could take one step in any direction and fire off a beautiful jump shot faster than anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT