ADVERTISEMENT

31 May 2019 Game 54 NCAA Regional: (3) Nebraseball vs (2) UConn at OKC - NU wins 8-5

We win our regional and Army wins the Lubbock regional and we host a Super!

Hey, it could happen.
We would probably host a super regional against anyone but Texas Tech. Only top 8 national seeds are guaranteed to host if they advance. That might have been expanded to include seeds 9-16 (if the top 8 seed is knocked out) when they started seeding the top 16.

Either way, I can’t see any way Dallas or Gainesville would be selected as host sites over Lincoln. The record crowd at DBU’s park is 3,242. UF’s is 6,244. Haymarket Park’s official capacity is 8,500. I’m quite sure our ticket guarantee to the NCAA would earn us the winning bid.

Believe me, I have thought about this. I have my calendar blocked out so I don’t get scheduled into any meetings June 7 or 10. Just in case.

2 Seed UConn - RPI 29
3 Seed Nebraska - RPI 35
A difference of six spots.

Now, RPI is no great predictor but it does have value and does indicate these two teams are relatively equal.

Here's the thing, that six spot difference is the second closest of all the 2 - 3 seed matchups. In fact, the average space between the 2 & 3 seeds is 25 RPI spots ranging from just 2 spots all the way up to a 63 spot difference.

Would bet that every 2 seed would love to be 63 RPI spots better than their 3 seed opponent. And I wonder if UConn is cursing their bad luck.

2 Seed UConn - RPI 29
3 Seed Nebraska - RPI 35
A difference of six spots.

Now, RPI is no great predictor but it does have value and does indicate these two teams are relatively equal.

Here's the thing, that six spot difference is the second closest of all the 2 - 3 seed matchups. In fact, the average space between the 2 & 3 seeds is 25 RPI spots ranging from just 2 spots all the way up to a 63 spot difference.

Would bet that every 2 seed would love to be 63 RPI spots better than their 3 seed opponent. And I wonder if UConn is cursing their bad luck.
It seems an indication that UConn is a very low #2 and NU is a very high #3. I know the committee doesn’t seed the field 1-64 and then set the matchups accordingly, but I think they make an effort to get roughly close to that rather than randomly or geographically assigning 2-4s. Don’t they?

Which two teams have the 63-place gap?

Reactions: saluno22
It seems an indication that UConn is a very low #2 and NU is a very high #3. I know the committee doesn’t seed the field 1-64 and then set the matchups accordingly, but I think they make an effort to get roughly close to that rather than randomly or geographically assigning 2-4s. Don’t they?

Which two teams have the 63-place gap?

2 seed Indiana State RPI 24
3 seed McNeese RPI 86

McNeese and five other 3 seeds are AQs and McNeese has the lowest RPI of all. Indiana St is right in the middle of the 2 seed pack with the 8th best RPI.

You've ask an interesting question so I sorted the 2 - 3 seeds from 1 to 32 by RPI. Turns out seven of the 16 matchups hew closely to the norm and Nebraska/UConn is one of them. Two of those seven are a perfect zero deviation from the norm (3 vs 30 seed, 5 vs 28 seed) and the other five are very close.

One matchup is way beyond the norm (13 seed vs 31 seed) and the other eight deviate from six to ten spots off the norm. Matchups seeded by RPI doesn't seem to be a thing here.

The batter’s helmet falling off knocked the ball out of Henwood’s glove. Talk about rotten luck.

The batter’s helmet falling off knocked the ball out of Henwood’s glove. Talk about rotten luck.
How is that not runner interference? I realize there is no specific rule around this rare occurrence, but it's on the batter to wear a helmet that actually fits. Total BS. Plus it looks like he had a tooth knocked out.

6-5 Bottom 5. Two outs after a great diving play by Schwellenbach to save a run and record the out. Fisher is done. Palkert on to pitch.

Hagge Walks then takes second on a pitch that gets away from the catcher. UConn starter Mason Feole leaves the game with a runner on second, and nobody out. UConn righty CJ Dandeneau into the game

First time either side retired 1-2-3 and we head to the bottom half of the 8th. 7-5 Huskers. 6 more outs.

Defensively surrendering 19 hits and offensively striking out 16 times VERY seldomly result in a win BUT I WILL TAKE IT!

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT