ADVERTISEMENT

#29 on NSD eve

Patience grasshopper. We could still jump a bunch of spots with a couple recruits. However, we also have a few teams lurking behind us that could easily jump us too. Tomorrow is the day for evaluation.

sandwiched between Pitt and Houston
Dumb_sign20110724-22047-yqd1j8.jpg
Captain-Obvious.jpg
cb7.jpg
Captainobvious.jpg

The program will go on. If it hasn't become evidenced in the last season, or the last 20 seasons, there's no instant turn around on the horizon.

So tell me what recruits you arent happy with?

I honestly could care less about the rankings. This is the happiest I have been with a class in probably 20 years.

I honestly could care less about the rankings. This is the happiest I have been with a class in probably 20 years.

Sums up my feelings. I'd like a DT, but I feel like every dude we have is worthy of the slot.

No idea how you came to that conclusion, but good for you.

Do you have insider information about a whole bunch of flips tomorrow? It will be awesome if we can match some of our top ten classes we have had over the last 20 years.

Do you have insider information about a whole bunch of flips tomorrow? It will be awesome if we can match some of our top ten classes we have had over the last 20 years.

But I thought the last 20 years of NU football weren't acceptable? Now they are the gold standard? ;)

I would be more concerned that OSU,Mich and MSU are in the top 10 and PSU at 23 .Those teams are always going to be there as for the rest of us it is an illusion .The rich stay rich and the rest fight for the scraps.

PSU must have moved down a bit. Weren't they in the Top 10 most of the year? Now they are a handful of points ahead of us?

Doesn't seem like they are blowing our doors off with Master Recruiter James Franklin.

MSU is probably the model we are most likely to follow now. Have to make some waves with solid classes and eventually move into better ones.

Numbers don't lie.

You've noted on several occassions that you bemoan no "lightning rod recruiters" and our apparent way back is a slow build.

Do you start threads like these just to remind yourself of your misery, or is there a point here besides the one you acknowledged over a year ago when the staff was finalized and Orgeron wasn't in it?

You've noted on several occassions that you bemoan no "lightning rod recruiters" and our apparent way back is a slow build.

Do you start threads like these just to remind yourself of your misery, or is there a point here besides the one you acknowledged over a year ago when the staff was finalized and Orgeron wasn't in it?

It would just seem to outsiders that you acknowledge and ignore reality at the same time, to further the point.

We surely have some excellent recruits. But it seems like we are back in the Solich and Pelini eras of scrambling to fill slots with warm bodies at the last minute. Is the only alternative accepting verbal commitments from too many kids and then pulling a Harbaugh the last couple weeks of recruiting?

Riley & staff are intentionally finishing in the 20s so that we have to spend years arguing about whether it was a good enough class and neither side can stake a very clear claim to being right.

Tom if we don't get a single other commit, I'll be very pleased with the quality of this group. With the exception of DT, we are putting some solid kids in key spots. We have a true blue chip QB coming in. Best QB recruit since Crouch. We have athletes all over the place and played a lot of youth last year.

My biggest fear is/was OL. We can run the ball on people and our showing against UCLA proved that to the team and Langsdorf. With the big bodies we have added in the interior positions along with the quality depth we have and recruits from the previous two years, we should be set at OL for some time.

This is a great group of kids in this class. We got a future QB, four great OLmen, two studs at wide receiver, a good set of LB's and DB's, one of the nations best backs in Tre Bryant. (Rivals sucked at ranking him.)

You guys need to realize as well this is Riley's first full class. 2017 will be a better ranked class as they have had more time to develop relationships over time.

If they land Jackson, Englehaupt, and a surpise of Simmons/Beau that would be a nice way to round out this class. Some people bitch about everything and act like its still 1994. Guess what? It's not anymore.

Let Riley have his time and let's see what he can do with his guys.

Reactions: timnsun and chopter
We have a true blue chip QB coming in. Best QB recruit since Crouch.

So was Harrison Beck. And Cody Green, Zac Lee, Brion Carnes, Johnny Stanton, Sam Keller, Curt Dukes, Kody Spano, and Patrick Witt.

I love the optimism, but we need to outrecruit the likes of Duke and Pitt if we are going to become relevant again. Riley has not proven he is a coach that can win championships with average talent.

Reactions: jeans15
If we do this kind of "#" stuff on a weekly basis in 2017 I'm going to freaking kill someone. It's pointless.

Reactions: sparky62
Other schools aren't done recruiting either. Tennessee, Miami, Texas, etc. will all pass us tomorrow. With that said, I like the class and have high expectations for next year's class.

21-22 now
This is fun. When was the last time we had a kid ranked #1 at his position commit the last day and then have another stud 4 star pop up with us in his final 2? Two years ago we would have been raiding Ohio commits.

So was Harrison Beck. And Cody Green, Zac Lee, Brion Carnes, Johnny Stanton, Sam Keller, Curt Dukes, Kody Spano, and Patrick Witt.

I love the optimism, but we need to outrecruit the likes of Duke and Pitt if we are going to become relevant again. Riley has not proven he is a coach that can win championships with average talent.
Come on, Harry, don't be that guy. A lot of these commits have some impressive offers from more than duke and Pitt. Your first paragraph was fine. Then you added the second paragraph, which was all drama.

You may want to look again. Just off the top of my head we have beaten the following schools this season for recruits:
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Clemson
Florida
LSU
Cal
SC
UCLA
Oregon
Stanford
Miami
Notre Dame
Ole Miss
Oklahoma

If that isn`t an improvement I`m not sure what is?

You may want to look again. Just off the top of my head we have beaten the following schools this season for recruits:
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Clemson
Florida
LSU
Cal
SC
UCLA
Oregon
Stanford
Miami
Notre Dame
Ole Miss
Oklahoma

If that isn`t an improvement I`m not sure what is?
These coaches actually try & then get out of their car to recruit.

Come on, Harry, don't be that guy. A lot of these commits have some impressive offers from more than duke and Pitt. Your first paragraph was fine. Then you added the second paragraph, which was all drama.
I really do not think it fair to judge Riley's ability to recruit based on one or two recruits that stiff or sign with us. I think a good way to look at whether this staff is a good recruiting staff would be:

• Organization and effort - I say overall they have done very well here.
  • Balance and staff sales skills - every staff has some coaches better at recruiting than others we are no exception. We have some really good recruiters and then we also have some dead weight non-contributing staff members. Overall I think they are doing good although I do think they are adjusting to recruiting battles against higher wanted athletes
  • Strategic wins and overall strategy - It is most important to get the best player but it is also very important to get good players and deny them to confer rivals. We did fine against Iowa but fell flat in our own state and struggled in Missouri and Kansas. We are also largely absent from Ohio and Michigan. I love that we are getting kids from Calif but we do not play Stanford every year. Some of this is to be expected as the coaches are from the west and it takes time to make inroads - Overall strategic wins - Needs some improvement
  • Player evaluation - we will not know for a few years so hard to tell if this is a talented class or not
I would imho say the coaches are doing a pretty good job especially coming off the horrible season they had and coming off all the Pelini drama

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT