ADVERTISEMENT

29 March 2019 Game 20: Nebraseball at Minnesota (Minnesota wins 5-2(10))

Some info on the Gopher season. Starting to play better, particularly the hitting. They are 6-2 in their last 8 games, batting over .315, with 29 doubles and 9 HR. They lost a fair amount of offense to the draft and graduation. They have also played a brutal schedule, thus their RPI of 53 with a 9-13 record. Jordan Kozicky is their leading hitter, batting .299 with 8 2B and 3 HR and 24 RBI. Defense has been terrible, giving up 33 unearned runs on the season. Pitching has been so-so. Starters will be Max Meyer, last years B1G closer of the year as a freshman. He was also the closer for team USA this past summer. Just became a starter a few weeks ago, currently is 2-1, with the loss being a 2-1 loss to Oregon State. He is the real deal. Saturday starter is Patrick Frederickson, the B1G pitcher of the year as a freshman last year. I believe he finished the year 9-0. So far, he has struggled a bunch with control. He is 1-2 so far with several very short outings. Sunday starter is Josh Culliver, from Omaha. Been ok for a Sunday starter, 2-1, with an ERA of 5, mostly from one bad outing. All 3 starters are sophomores. Should be a good, chilly series.

Saturday starter is Patrick Frederickson, the B1G pitcher of the year as a freshman last year. I believe he finished the year 9-0. So far, he has struggled a bunch with control. He is 1-2 so far with several very short outings.

Do you feel his drop is due to other teams having the scouting report on him or something mental? Or both? Appreciate the insight and look forward to this series every year.

Going to be cold this weekend with sub 30 degree wind chills Saturday and Sunday. Can we afford anymore cancellations?

Going to be cold this weekend with sub 30 degree wind chills Saturday and Sunday. Can we afford anymore cancellations?

No way they’d be playing today in Lincoln..

It’s snowing currently in Omaha as of now..

Gomes almost goes Willie Mays Hayes on a slide into 2nd, ends up crawling to reach after tagging up from 1st. Apparently sliding on field turf is different than sliding on dirt.

Still 1-0 Big Red, T2.

Reactions: gunNrun
Bottom of 3
Matt Waldron pitching
- base hit
- bunt, sac at 1st
runner to 2nd. 1 out.
- full count, rbi single
*** Game tied 1 all ***
- ground ball, force out at 2nd
runner to 1st, 2 outs.
- Palensky catches for the 3rd out.

Game tied.
1 all

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Bottom of 3
Matt Waldron pitching
- base hit
- bunt, sac at 1st
runner to 2nd. 1 out.
- full count, rbi single
*** Game tied 1 all ***
- ground ball, force out at 2nd
runner to 1st, 2 outs.
- Palensky catches for the 3rd out.

Game tied.
1 all
Or if you got it, either way works. Smokin

Top of 7
- Acker ground ball, beats the throw to 1st.
- Addante...
Acker steals 2nd
Addante strikes out
Joe at 2nd. 1 out
Gopher mound visit (89 pitches)
- Colby strikes out.
Joe at 2nd. 2 down.
- Chick rbi single ...

Game tied at 2...
2 out

Bottom of 7
Matt Waldron pitching
- Strike Out. Matt's 6th SO. 1 down.
- Strike Out. 2 down.
- ground ball to Henwood, to 1st. 3 down.

End of 7

Huskers 2
Gophers 2

Bottom of 8
Matt Waldron pitching
- hit to center, Acker with the catch. 1 down.
- chopper to Angelo, runner safe at 1st, 1 down.
* Waldron over 100 pitches *
- hit to Acker, caught out.
Runner at 1st. 2 outs.
- hit to Acker, caught out. 3 down.

End of 8

Huskers 2
Gophers 2

Top of 9
Minnesota replacing their starting pitcher
- Roskam strikes out. 1 down.
- Acker strikes out. 2 down
- Watson pitch hitting for Addante...
Keegan strikes out. 3 down.

Going to Bottom of 9

Huskers 2
Gophers 2

Bottom of 9
Palkert now pitching for the Huskers
- hit to Palensky, caught out. 1 down.
- ground ball to Henwood, to 1st, out. 2 down.
- strikes out. 3 down.

Extra Innings!!!

Huskers 2
Gophers 2

Yuck, Im in sunny Arizona sitting at 82 degrees. Supposed to leave in the morning to come back. Ill try bringing the weather with me.

GO BIG RED

Reactions: gunNrun
Top of 10
- Colby strikes out. 1 down.
- Chick (not credited with rbi, Gopher error)
Off the wall Double.
Cam at 2nd. 1 down
- Henwood base hit.
Runners at the corners. 1 out.
- Mojo strikes out, Henwood steals 2nd.
Runners at 2nd and 3rd. 2 out.
Gopher mound visit
- Angelo strikes out. 3 down.

Bottom of 10
Palkert pitching
- Base hit up the middle.
Runner at 1st. No outs.
- sac bunt
Runner to 2nd. 1 out.
- intentional walk
Runners at 1st and 2nd. 1 out.
Husker mound visit
- walk off 3 run Home Run

Final

Huskers 2
Gophers 5

Reactions: saluno22
@Lincoln gopher Thoughts on yesterday's game? Always enjoy your input. Quite the pitching duel, amazing to see both guys go 8 and keep the cupboards pretty full for today.

@Lincoln gopher Thoughts on yesterday's game? Always enjoy your input. Quite the pitching duel, amazing to see both guys go 8 and keep the cupboards pretty full for today.
It was a great pitching dual. Both pitchers performed above and beyond considering the temperature and the wind blowing out. The 3 key points to the game to me was the base running error in the first, couldn't get the sac bunt down and then the top of the tenth. A couple of tidbits, the reliever that won the game for the Gophers, Brett Schulze, is a junior. As a freshman, he started and went 4-3. Last year moved him to long relief and now he is the closer, but since moving to the bullpen he is a perfect 12-0. Eli Wilson, the kid that ended the game with the home run and boy did he hit it, sorry for my excitement, is the son of Dan Wilson, former all B1G catcher for the Gophers and former major league all-star with Seattle. Expecting another good game today, for me it will be all about how Fredrickson does. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
It was a great pitching dual. Both pitchers performed above and beyond considering the temperature and the wind blowing out. The 3 key points to the game to me was the base running error in the first, couldn't get the sac bunt down and then the top of the tenth. A couple of tidbits, the reliever that won the game for the Gophers, Brett Schulze, is a junior. As a freshman, he started and went 4-3. Last year moved him to long relief and now he is the closer, but since moving to the bullpen he is a perfect 12-0. Eli Wilson, the kid that ended the game with the home run and boy did he hit it, sorry for my excitement, is the son of Dan Wilson, former all B1G catcher for the Gophers and former major league all-star with Seattle. Expecting another good game today, for me it will be all about how Fredrickson does. Best of luck.
Indeed, best of luck to you guys as well!

Regarding Schulze, isn't it wonderful when a staff is able to find the right way to use pitchers? Erstad/Silva seems to meddle in good things, whether by necessity or stupidity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT