ADVERTISEMENT

26 days: Best#26 in Husker history

Probably should go with DB Wonder Monds as a First-Team All-American.

Tom Rathman revolutionized the fullback position in the NFL. He was 5th in the Big 8 in rushing as a senior (881 yards)... as a fullback... in the same backfield as Doug DuBose (1161 yards) Plus, he and two other former Huskers wore "HUSKERS" lettering on their helmet...
636620841352816178-GettyImages-351208.jpg

Honorable Mention...
- IB Clinton Childs. Another great back stuck in a logjam on the championship teams. I'll never forget the 1995 Arizona State game he started in place of Lawrence Phillips, taking it to the house on the first play before leaving with a knee injury later. We just couldn't catch a break that season at I-Back ;) His "Choo Choo" mocking of Florida on the sidelines in the Fiesta Bowl is also something I recall.
- DB Marvin Sanders.
- FB Lance Lewis. Interestingly, he was recruited as a cornerback.
- K Josh Brown.

Futures (Fingers Crossed)...
- IB Dedrick Mills

Probably should go with DB Wonder Monds as a First-Team All-American.

Tom Rathman revolutionized the fullback position in the NFL. He was 5th in the Big 8 in rushing as a senior (881 yards)... as a fullback... in the same backfield as Doug DuBose (1161 yards) Plus, he and two other former Huskers wore "HUSKERS" lettering on their helmet...
636620841352816178-GettyImages-351208.jpg

Honorable Mention...
- IB Clinton Childs. Another great back stuck in a logjam on the championship teams. I'll never forget the 1995 Arizona State game he started in place of Lawrence Phillips, taking it to the house on the first play before leaving with a knee injury later. We just couldn't catch a break that season at I-Back ;) His "Choo Choo" mocking of Florida on the sidelines in the Fiesta Bowl is also something I recall.
- DB Marvin Sanders.
- FB Lance Lewis. Interestingly, he was recruited as a cornerback.
- K Josh Brown.

Futures (Fingers Crossed)...
- IB Dedrick Mills
Lance Lewis is a great pick. Were it not for his neck injury, he might have been the FB who revolutionized the position in the NFL before Rathman. An amazing combination of speed (HS track sprint/hurdles champion) and strength (shot putter). He was terrific at NU and would have been great beyond NU if healthy

Lance Lewis is a great pick. Were it not for his neck injury, he might have been the FB who revolutionized the position in the NFL before Rathman. An amazing combination of speed (HS track sprint/hurdles champion) and strength (shot putter). He was terrific at NU and would have been great beyond NU if healthy
Lance Lewis came after Rathman though.

My pick is Rathman. I’m not quite old enough to have seen Wonder Monds, so I’m giving it to Rathman.

Monds is before my time. Rathman is the obvious pick. If you don't remember Lance Lewis, man that dude was a weapon at the FB position. You don't expect a dude to just take the FB trap at his own 35 and be gone but he would do it.

The recent analogy is probably if you had put Dan Alexander at FB with his top end speed.

Reactions: saluno22
Monds is before my time. Rathman is the obvious pick. If you don't remember Lance Lewis, man that dude was a weapon at the FB position. You don't expect a dude to just take the FB trap at his own 35 and be gone but he would do it.

The recent analogy is probably if you had put Dan Alexander at FB with his top end speed.

Wonder Monds was a All- American. #38 Sam Francis was before my time too Lol..

Or he might have gotten into drugs....which he did.

Danged kids. Winking
I wanted to reply to you on another thread, but it was locked, and I wasn't sure if there was a way to message you....

I think it might be helpful for you guys to lay out what does and doesn't count as political. It doesn't seem to be very consistent.

Middle one is a blog, but it does mention his arrest. A guy I coached with had worked with him at Sidney, and pretty much thought he was a pompous d-bag...and he's a big Husker fan. Lewis always brought VHS tapes of himself into the coaches office, often accompanied with "let's watch the big dog eat"......15-20 years after he was done playing. Wife always introduced herself as "I'm _______, wife of former Husker fullback Lance Lewis".

https://journalstar.com/news/state-...cle_91354e3e-5c3b-577d-8558-060a4592643c.html

http://theguardiannews.blogspot.com/2011/11/school-board-needs-to-investigate.html

https://starherald.com/news/local_n...cle_6b43465e-e296-11e1-b6ae-001a4bcf887a.html

Last edited:
Middle one is a blog, but it does mention his arrest. A guy I coached with had worked with him at Sidney, and pretty much thought he was a pompous d-bag...and he's a big Husker fan. Lewis always brought VHS tapes of himself into the coaches office, often accompanied with "let's watch the big dog eat"......15-20 years after he was done playing. Wife always introduced herself as "I'm _______, wife of former Husker fullback Lance Lewis".

https://journalstar.com/news/state-...cle_91354e3e-5c3b-577d-8558-060a4592643c.html

http://theguardiannews.blogspot.com/2011/11/school-board-needs-to-investigate.html

https://starherald.com/news/local_n...cle_6b43465e-e296-11e1-b6ae-001a4bcf887a.html
Interesting. Didn’t know that. You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

A couple of stories.

I remember when Wonder played, he played the "monster" position if I recall. Watching a replay show one time and his position coach made this comment about him after a big hit, "getting hit by Wonder is about like getting hit with a pencil." Coaches name escapes me, Jerry something?

Lance played at Scott City when I was in Goodland. Scott City was dominate at the time. Had a coach who was pretty high strung. He didn't just want to win he wanted to punish you. There were lots of rumors about kids taking "supplements". They did hit the weights hard too. I had a kid from there in school and he said they were taking all sorts of stuff. Their teams were so good and so punishing, no one in KS wanted play them. I recall them playing someone from Omaha or Nebraska somewhere. It was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
Wait....I thought I was an Iowa guy....or was it Minnesota....maybe Wisconsin, or UCF....?

You all need to make up your minds.
Colorado. You said so yourself several months ago. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you say you live there but are a Nebraska fan, although I have yet to see you supporting the huskers anywhere.

Colorado. You said so yourself several months ago. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you say you live there but are a Nebraska fan, although I have yet to see you supporting the huskers anywhere.
No.....I'm from Colorado. Grew up there. One of my best friends of over 25 years is a CU fan, and yes, I have stuck up for him as a fan on this forum before.....but no, I have never said I'm a CU fan, because I'm not.

Is this your opinion, or is it the consensus of the Big Red Torch and Pitchfork Fan Purity Association?

Last edited:
No.....I'm from Colorado. Grew up there. One of my best friends of over 25 years is a CU fan, and yes, I have stuck up for him as a fan on this forum before.....but no, I have never said I'm a CU fan, because I'm not.

Is this your opinion, or is it the consensus of the Big Red Torch and Pitchfork Purity Association?
Do you struggle with the English language? Reread my post. You come From Colorado. I never said you were a buffalo fan. I specifically noted that you say you are a husker fan.

Understand?

Do you struggle with the English language? Reread my post. You come From Colorado. I never said you were a buffalo fan. I specifically noted that you say you are a husker fan.

Understand?

He can say he is.. But he isn’t.Winking

Reactions: timnsun
Can you guys take this elsewhere?

The "Best to Wear #__" threads are the last oasis we have in a desert of shouting matches and endless political gasbagging.

Understand?
When I asked about being a Colorado/Iowa/etc. guy, I meant "fan", not "from".

My apologies for not clearing that up....and for not reading your entire post.

I do see you did get support from the president of the BRTPFPA....

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT