ADVERTISEMENT

24th?!

GJMagic41

Aug 31, 2018
Behind a desk
So as I was watching ESPN last night i notice the AP Top 25 scrolling on the bottom and I see Nebraska. I didnt believe it until i looked it up and sure enough, Nebraska is in the Top 25. Why??? I respect the hype but were we that hyped that the AP set us up in the Top 25? Im not sure Captain....

So as I was watching ESPN last night i notice the AP Top 25 scrolling on the bottom and I see Nebraska. I didnt believe it until i looked it up and sure enough, Nebraska is in the Top 25. Why??? I respect the hype but were we that hyped that the AP set us up in the Top 25? Im not sure Captain....

It doesn't really matter. Just like all of the preseason polls.

As Chin said, doesn't mean diddly at this time of the year.

Because last season shouldn't affect this season. Completely different year. Our 4-8 record last year has little to do with this year. Teams should be ranked based on what people feel they are going to accomplish this year. Nebraska is nowhere near that 4-8 team we saw last year. Not even in the same universe. Many believe, they will win the West and get to that 8-10 win mark. That is worthy of a 24 spot to start the year. Plus it is preseason, the rankings mean very little.

Being ranked shouldn't have been a surprise. People have been predicting it for awhile. Follows right along with the preseason outlook most people have for us.
I don't get this mentality that seems to shy away from the preseason hype. Most of the time, people complain that we don't get enough respect in preseason picks. It's fodder for the usual line that we've fallen so far, nobody respects us anymore, etc.. So this year we get a lot of respect in preseason picks, and some people worry that we're overhyped. Seems like no matter what we get in preseason picks, somebody is going to complain. It's not as though being ranked #24 preseason is that great anyway-not all that long ago, being ranked #24 preseason would have been seen as a disappointment. It's obviously only because we were 4-8 last year that anybody thinks being ranked #24 is significant. With what people are expecting for us this year, I would hope we're ranked higher than #24 to end the season.

Same reason we have appeared in almost every preseason poll, college football people believe we will be good this year.

We haven’t beat anyone yet. Wish they would leave us unranked. Thanks for the hype

Reactions: scarletred
I mean if you took our team from last november and played the 2019 schedule you have to imagine we win at least 9 game. The schedule is really soft with a ton of home games. And the consensus is that the team will be markedly improved from last November and will likely wreck a softer schedule.. nearly every team on our schedule has questions at qb and we might have an all-american...and we are 7 deep on the dline. A team with a great qb and good dline will always be in the running for championships late in the year.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I mean if you took our team from last november and played the 2019 schedule you have to imagine we win at least 9 game. The schedule is really soft with a ton of home games. And the consensus is that the team will be markedly improved from last November and will likely wreck a softer schedule.. nearly every team on our schedule has questions at qb and we might have an all-american...and we are 7 deep on the dline. A team with a great qb and good dline will always be in the running for championships late in the year.

“Really soft?”

Better question:. Why is there a top 25 poll at all? Nobody's played a down yet.

So OP, you don't think going 4-2 to end the year with two close losses at OSU and Iowa means anything? In conjunction with reported improvements in depth, experience and S&C? How else should voters evaluate teams for these meaningless preseason rankings? When it comes to actual criteria that you can point to, I think there are good reasons for us to be ranked. At least as good as the rest of the mediocre teams that are situated around us from 16-25. You know, the kind of teams that go 9-4 and spend the offseason high-fiving each other.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I'll be succinct... Scott Frost, talent (especially at QB), and schedule.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I'll be succinct... Scott Frost, talent (especially at QB), and schedule.

Nothing more to it then that right there. The way the Huskers improved over the final 6 games...jumps being made during the offseason tied in with a weaker schedule this season...then there you go...you have the Huskers in the top 25 preseason rankings. GBR

Reactions: ThePowerOfRed

Last year our first road game was Harbaugh Michigan, Road at Ohio State, Road at NW, Road at Iowa, Road @ Wiksy, Missed our tune up game, first game of era against a power 5 school...all of the weaker teams we played were at home...this year it is flipped and Ohio state will have new coach and new qb, and the rest of the conference is pretty weak at the qb position. Last year I could not imagine winning 7, this year I cant not imagine winning 7....

Last year our first road game was Harbaugh Michigan, Road at Ohio State, Road at NW, Road at Iowa, Road @ Wiksy, Missed our tune up game, first game of era against a power 5 school...all of the weaker teams we played were at home...this year it is flipped and Ohio state will have new coach and new qb, and the rest of the conference is pretty weak at the qb position. Last year I could not imagine winning 7, this year I cant not imagine winning 7....

None of which has anything to do with this year’s schedule. We have a number of teams on our schedule that are plenty salty. Playing a good team at home doesn’t make it “soft.”

None of which has anything to do with this year’s schedule. We have a number of teams on our schedule that are plenty salty. Playing a good team at home doesn’t make it “soft.”
We don't get Michigan and they are replaced by Indiana, OSU has a new coach and we have closed the gap significantly with NW and Iowa. I should have used the term softer than last year, because it will be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT