ADVERTISEMENT

#23 Nebraska Baseball

Still gotta win his first conference title, perform well at the conference tourney, and make it to a Super, which is far from in the bag.

Still gotta win his first conference title, perform well at the conference tourney, and make it to a Super, which is far from in the bag.
Not sure if that is a realistic expectation or sarcastic, but I'm curious, if the team wins the regular season conference title, why anyone would really think the guy who coached his team to FIRST PLACE (basically better than any other team) is somehow a failure.

Reactions: timnsun
Not sure if that is a realistic expectation or sarcastic, but I'm curious, if the team wins the regular season conference title, why anyone would really think the guy who coached his team to FIRST PLACE (basically better than any other team) is somehow a failure.

Correct. I meant to say "or". If he wins the conference, or the conference tourney, in my mind, Erstad should be commended for a great year. If he does neither, and we still finish in 2nd, it will be disappointing, but if they win a regional, I think most on this board would still think the season was a success.

Try to enjoy the ride.

If it ends like last year, will anyone have enjoyed the ride enough to overcome a disappointing finish? Gotta finish the year out and win something of significance.

Correct. I meant to say "or". If he wins the conference, or the conference tourney, in my mind, Erstad should be commended for a great year. If he does neither, and we still finish in 2nd, it will be disappointing, but if they win a regional, I think most on this board would still think the season was a success.

We'll just in case the April 2 tie against Indiana would cost the boys the title just in Case I might add, which would be no fault of their own and you would still hold it against him.:cool:

We'll just in case the April 2 tie against Indiana would cost the boys the title just in Case I might add, which would be no fault of their own and you would still hold it against him.:cool:

No fault of their own? How did you come up with that? Erstad knows the rules. Their record would put them in 2nd place, based on their performance. I don't deal in 'what ifs' and 'buts.' Especially with what has been an extraordinarily average baseball coach.

If he finishes in 2nd place, doesn't win the conference tourney, and bows out in a regional...in one of the weaker Power 5 conferences...the year shouldn't be considered what we are looking for in year 6 of his tenure. Simple as that.

How long has Erstad been coaching us? How many conference championships have we won in that time? Either a regular season or a tournament championship? In the weak BiG TeN conference? How have we done in the NCAA tournament since he's been here?

What was our non-conference record this season? Our RPI going into conference play?

I'm supportive of the team and coach, but let's not pretend like people had no cause for concern.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Our series loss to Iowa or blowing Game 1 vs Ohio State would be bigger reasons than the tie.

Granted but if it comes down to that tie blame it on the B1G not Erstad.

After all at this is far gone conclusion, but they did win the series against Minnesota.

No fault of their own? How did you come up with that? Erstad knows the rules. Their record would put them in 2nd place, based on their performance. I don't deal in 'what ifs' and 'buts.' Especially with what has been an extraordinarily average baseball coach.

If he finishes in 2nd place, doesn't win the conference tourney, and bows out in a regional...in one of the weaker Power 5 conferences...the year shouldn't be considered what we are looking for in year 6 of his tenure. Simple as that.

Our series loss to Iowa or blowing Game 1 vs Ohio State would be bigger reasons than the tie.

I suggest Eichorst hire you two for our next Coach's in the Baseball program.Winking

You both have my seal of approval.

FIRE ERSTAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that what is SUPPOSED to be in this thread????:)

Weird post from you considering:

Since 1995, the Reds have won the NL Central Division twice and been to the playoffs 3 times.
All of that happened when Dusty Baker was their manager.
Despite the Reds' only successful baseball in the last 20 years, and despite Dusty accomplishing far more than Erstad has as a manager, you spent years non-stop calling for Dusty's firing.
Reds haven't had a winning season since Dusty left. Imagine that.

You obviously had your reasons why you thought he should be fired. Perhaps you should be more understanding of those who called for Erstad's head?

I will gladly take the Indiana tie. In my mind, there was extremely little chance we sweep on the road against a team of that quality. So 2-0-1 is better than 2-1-0.

Like Charlie Marlow said: the Iowa series and Game 1 at Ohio State have a much larger impact and are much less excusable.

Edit: The tie only stands out because so few games end in a tie. We snuck a tie instead of taking a loss in the grand scheme rather than settling for a tie expecting to win.

It's nice to see them in the rankings again. Hopefully they finish strong and secure a #2 seed in the tourney. I saw a projection today for them in the Norman regional as a 2 seed. That would be cool and I'm sure would draw a huge following.

I will gladly take the Indiana tie. In my mind, there was extremely little chance we sweep on the road against a team of that quality. So 2-0-1 is better than 2-1-0.

Like Charlie Marlow said: the Iowa series and Game 1 at Ohio State have a much larger impact and are much less excusable.

Maybe you can join me and Hoosker Du on the baseball staff. I call pitching coach

Granted but if it comes down to that tie blame it on the B1G not Erstad.

After all at this is far gone conclusion, but they did win the series against Minnesota.

That is why I said granted, but as of now that tie arguably could cost us the title.

Go back to the baseball board and I even said weeks ago they losing the series to Iowa and losing the rain delay game hurt at the time.

But if both teams win out it's all going to come down to finishing that game in Bloomington.

No and's if's or butt's.

From the time he was given the NU job, I've never felt Erstad has failed badly enough to be fired, and I've never once called for him to be fired. If he wins a conference title this year and/or has some postseason success, I'll be very happy for him and the team. But please spare me a bunch of I told ya sos and finger wagging from the same people who predicted that he would absolutely rule the Big Ten. I like the upward trajectory of the program, but the past six years have not changed how I feel about Erstad's selection as head coach.

And I always liked this team's chances of winning the regular season title, because the schedule was so front-end loaded. Even after they dropped the home series to Iowa, I said they were still in good position for a run at the title. I must have lost my Hater's Club card that day, or something like that.

I hope we win the conference title, but I hope even more that we make some noise in a regional. Conference title or not, going 0-2 in a regional again would not indicate much, if any progress over last year. Getting to a regional on a regular basis should be expected of this program-now we need to do something while we're there.

That is why I said granted, but as of now that tie arguably could cost us the title.

Go back to the baseball board and I even said weeks ago they losing the series to Iowa and losing the rain delay game hurt at the time.

But if both teams win out it's all going to come down to finishing that game in Bloomington.

No and's if's or butt's.

ok, last night's loss would win up being most responsible. Hopefully we don't mess up our 'do-over'

If it ends like last year, will anyone have enjoyed the ride enough to overcome a disappointing finish? Gotta finish the year out and win something of significance.
I realize I am one of the resident wet noodles, but just want to restate what others here have said: just enjoy the ride, dawg. :)

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT