ADVERTISEMENT

22 March 2019 Game 17 (DH-2): Michigan State at Nebraseball (NU wins 5-2)

Two plays by young players that particularly stuck out to me today...

Game 1: Gomes stopping his progress toward first on his bunt to force a throw to the bag rather than a tag.
Game *2*: Chick seeing 3rd base was uncovered after advancing to 2nd on a bunt.

Heads up plays in both cases.

Last edited:

Game 1: Gomes stopping his progress toward first on his bunt to force a throw to the bag rather than a tag.
Game 1: Chick seeing 3rd base was uncovered after advancing to 2nd on a bunt.

Yep! It’s the little things that make a good team. Those little things add up to winning close games.

Sole possession of first place. :)
e407b91977464e3f2e036f352a88ba66.gif

Reactions: saluno22
RPI slipped another 6. SOS lost 9 more. I’m OK if game three is canceled...
I'm torn. While it would be nice to build a good NCAA at-large resume (or rather, not have it torn down by playing bad teams), we need these wins in the conference standings before we hit the end-of-season gauntlet that was mentioned earlier this week.

Play game 3 if at all possible.
Don't want to be forced to reschedule the game at the last minute at the end of the regular season because of some conference seeding issue. Think it was 2017 that Minnesota was forced to reschedule a missed conference game and was fairly upset about it.
Looks like high percentage of rain throughout Saturday but ending early Sunday morning. Ready to cheer whenever. Finish the job.

If we're worried about rpi, forget the currently postponed UNO (241) and North Dakota St (247) games. Unless the Huskers need W's more than rpi (???).

I'm torn. While it would be nice to build a good NCAA at-large resume (or rather, not have it torn down by playing bad teams), we need these wins in the conference standings before we hit the end-of-season gauntlet that was mentioned earlier this week.
I was (mostly) kidding. Get conference wins, RPI be damned. Now, should the UNO and NDSU games be rescheduled? Uh, no.

Play game 3 if at all possible.
Don't want to be forced to reschedule the game at the last minute...

Last I heard the Big Ten does not allow rescheduling beyond the weekend played. Has this changed?

I know conference games have been cancelled in the past.
But, looked it up...
In 2017 Minnesota had to reschedule 2 games with Rutgers that were originally from early April. The Gophers 'were very upset' to have to play 8 games in 8 days to end the 2017 regular season.

Game *2*: Chick seeing 3rd base was uncovered after advancing to 2nd on a bunt.

I'll throw another one out there...
Game 2: Hellstrom throwing out Bryce Kelley TWICE attempting to steal second, who was 6/6 entering the game.

Reactions: sklarbodds
I know conference games have been cancelled in the past.
But, looked it up...
In 2017 Minnesota had to reschedule 2 games with Rutgers that were originally from early April. The Gophers 'were very upset' to have to play 8 games in 8 days to end the 2017 regular season.

I remember that so I looked it up (and thx for the reminder).

Their series of 2017 was scheduled for the weekend of Apr 7th (Friday) but canceled at the last minute b/c east coast weather grounded flights and Rutgers couldn't get to Minneapolis.

It was later rescheduled for May 16 (a Tuesday) and a double header was played. Minnesota won both games.

What I couldn't find was an explanation for why this exception was made. However, I do remember thinking the rescheduling seemed proper and there didn't seem to be much controversy over it other than concern about so many games in a short time.

I don't know of any other time a canceled conference game was made up later on.

Just checked out the box scores: Waldron and Fisher conceded zero walks in 16.1 IP and 54 batters faced yesterday. Impressive.
Nice, wasn't it? Our pitching certainly has been spotty at times but the biggest spots have been very good, very impressive.

I suspect a lot of teams are going to have Friday/Saturday problems with us.

Their series of 2017 was scheduled for the weekend of Apr 7th (Friday) but canceled at the last minute b/c east coast weather grounded flights and Rutgers couldn't get to Minneapolis.

It was later rescheduled for May 16 (a Tuesday) and a double header was played. Minnesota won both games.

What I couldn't find was an explanation for why this exception was made. However, I do remember thinking the rescheduling seemed proper and there didn't seem to be much controversy over it other than concern about so many games in a short time.

I remember. Minnesota was in position to win the regular season title on percentage points with the bulk of its schedule against the bottom the league. The Gophers played only one series against the top five teams in the conference that year.

The key difference is it was an entire series that was unable to be played and then partially made up, not an occasional game here or there.

@Lincoln gopher, any insight you'd like to offer on this rescheduling anomaly from 2017? I know I always enjoy your input.

On the matter of anomalies, there was also the Maryland at Indiana issue a couple years ago with rain/lightning delays, stopping/restarting with lead changes, etc., that was a giant mess but ended up benefiting Nebraska.

Nice, wasn't it? Our pitching certainly has been spotty at times but the biggest spots have been very good, very impressive.

I suspect a lot of teams are going to have Friday/Saturday problems with us.
It seems like we have a solid 5 guys and after that it's pretty thin, IMO. Hopefully the rest can step up and we could be a pretty tough team to beat.

@Lincoln gopher, any insight you'd like to offer on this rescheduling anomaly from 2017? I know I always enjoy your input.

On the matter of anomalies, there was also the Maryland at Indiana issue a couple years ago with rain/lightning delays, stopping/restarting with lead changes, etc., that was a giant mess but ended up benefiting Nebraska.
Taking a break from watching the Gophers getting their ass kicked by MSU in basketball and saw your question. Rutgers maid no attempt to change their flight to come to Minnesota to play, even though the weather in Minneapolis was good. So Minnesota agreed to play them 2 games on a Monday and Tuesday at Rutgers I believe after Minnesota had played St Johns a weekend series in New York on their B1G bye week.

Reactions: saluno22 and k9_r
Taking a break from watching the Gophers getting their ass kicked by MSU in basketball and saw your question. Rutgers maid no attempt to change their flight to come to Minnesota to play, even though the weather in Minneapolis was good. So Minnesota agreed to play them 2 games on a Monday and Tuesday at Rutgers I believe after Minnesota had played St Johns a weekend series in New York on their B1G bye week.
I actually remember this. Every team in the Big Ten flew to their destination just fine but Rutgers for some reason didn’t even attempt to try. We had a thread on it. I’ll try to find it in the archives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT