ADVERTISEMENT

22 days : Best #22 in Husker history

CB Ralph Brown. Started as a true freshman in 1996 and earned his stripes. School record for pass breakups in a single game against Colorado in 1996. All-American in some form in 1996 (freshman AA), 1998 (3rd-team AA), and 1999 (1st-team AA).

Honorable Mention...
- IB Doug DuBose. Imagine what his senior year could have been like has he not had a knee injury.
- IB Devine Ozigbo. Imagine what his first three years could have been like had he not been in the doghouse. I still remember meeting his mother ahead of one of the spring games. She was so excited to see so many people wearing #22 jerseys. I didn't tell her Rex Burkhead had just graduated.
- IB Rex Burkhead. I still remember his BS single-game rushing attempts record on a kneeldown, which is typically attributed as a "team" carry. Nonetheless, great player, better person.
- IB Cory Ross (Fr/So).
- WB Nate Turner.
- FB Jeff Makovicka. His hairstyle always reminded me of a young George McFly. Talk about someone who transformed his body in the weight room. Never had a carry for lost yardage on 47 carries in 1994 (His brother Joel would accomplish the same feat in 1997 (also as a junior) on 105 carries).

So if there is ever a trivia question on the topic...
#22 Jeff Makovicka
Class: Junior
Season:1994
Carries: 47
Yards Lost: 0
#45 Joel Makovicka
Class: Junior
Season: 1997
Carries: 105
Yards Lost: 0

Ralph Brown is a great pick, as well as the other names already mentioned.

Going back a little farther, I was a big fan of wingback Kenny Brown, who I believe scored some all-conference honors. Dan Schneiss was a good fullback for Devaney, preceding Bill Olds at that position.

For some reason I remember Kenny Brown gracing the cover of the old Big 8 preseason magazine, though he was misidentified as Jarvis Redwine. Someone asked the magazine about this and they said they knew it was Brown in the photo, but wanted Redwine on the cover and loved this photo. FAKE NEWS!

eae6a000f3099109ca645f6d9099e4a5.jpg

For some reason I remember Kenny Brown gracing the cover of the old Big 8 preseason magazine, though he was misidentified as Jarvis Redwine. Someone asked the magazine about this and they said they knew it was Brown in the photo, but wanted Redwine on the cover and loved this photo. FAKE NEWS!

eae6a000f3099109ca645f6d9099e4a5.jpg

That's a pretty cool photo. I miss all of the magazines and Huskersillustrated's that came out. I used to collect them as a kid.

Another 22 I forgot about is Roger Craig.
He changed to 33 when it became available out of respect for his older brother Curtiss who preceded him at RB at NU

I loved Ralph Brown. Can you believe that Mike Brown and Ralph played in the same secondary? Second pick would be Rex Burkhead. I remember @planored telling me about Burkhead before he signed with NU. Superman, indeed!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT