ADVERTISEMENT

21 days: Best #21 in Husker history

I will counter your Mike Brown with one of my all time favorites...Derek Brown. Winking

5a5fb000c86e816cecfc22a4c95029da.jpg

1992-game-1-photo.jpg

1991-game-10-photo.jpg

Last edited:
Roger Craig was fantastic, but I have to agree on Brown. The guy was like a walking, talking instructional video on how to play safety.

Prince Amukamara was also great, and for old times' sake I'll throw in wingback Don Westbrook.

Last edited:
My vote is 1st-Team All-American Rover Mike Brown. Reliable, but I recall him being a liability in man coverage. Might explain why he was moved to Rover after starting his career at CB. He ended his Husker career as the second-leading tackler in Husker history and is currently third on the career tackle list behind Barrett Ruud and Jerry Murtaugh.

I still remember HuskerVision playing a clip called the "Brown Brothers" with Mike and Ralph. Always cringed.

Honorable Mention...
- All-American and 1st-Round NFL Draft Selection Prince Amukamara.

- IB/FB Roger Craig. Unselfishly moved from IB to FB when Mike Rozier emerged despite having a 1000-yard season. Another former Husker to play for San Francisco and hear a "HUSKERS" plate on the front of his helmet...
1636947.0.jpg

- IB Damon Benning. During his start against UCLA as a redshirt freshman in 1993 in the absence of Calvin Jones (knee strain), legend has it he kept making mistakes and Tommie Frazier told him to get out of the game; thus began the Lawrence Phillips show. Never was 'the man" at I-back, but a consistent reliever in the backfield. I still remember in 1996 at Texas Tech him mishandling an option pitch from Scott Frost, and the ball bounced off the ground right back to his hands and he waltzed into the end zone to give us a two-possession lead midway through the fourth quarter; it was a fitting end to a strange game: 10-10 at the half, multiple long missed field goals at the end of the first half, Jon Hesse blocking a punt. Here's Benning's fumble/touchdown (at about 2:00:28 if it doesn't go there right away)...

- IB Derek Brown.

- SS Philip Bland. Too bad his career ended early, he was solid even as a freshman.

- WB Richard Bell.

- CB Lamar Jackson. Overhyped player as a freshman and sophomore when he wore #1, seemed to take on a different approach and was more productive after changing to #21 (similar to Marlon Lucky after changing from #20 to #5).

Moment...
- SS Titus Brothers (with CB Zack Bowman) taking down Michigan TE Tyler Ecker in the strange ending of the 2005 Alamo Bowl.

My vote is 1st-Team All-American Rover Mike Brown. Reliable, but I recall him being a liability in man coverage. Might explain why he was moved to Rover after starting his career at CB. He ended his Husker career as the second-leading tackler in Husker history and is currently third on the career tackle list behind Barrett Ruud and Jerry Murtaugh.

I still remember HuskerVision playing a clip called the "Brown Brothers" with Mike and Ralph. Always cringed.

Honorable Mention...
- All-American and 1st-Round NFL Draft Selection Prince Amukamara.

- IB/FB Roger Craig. Unselfishly moved from IB to FB when Mike Rozier emerged despite having a 1000-yard season. Another former Husker to play for San Francisco and hear a "HUSKERS" plate on the front of his helmet...
1636947.0.jpg

- IB Damon Benning. During his start against UCLA as a redshirt freshman in 1993 in the absence of Calvin Jones (knee strain), legend has it he kept making mistakes and Tommie Frazier told him to get out of the game; thus began the Lawrence Phillips show. Never was 'the man" at I-back, but a consistent reliever in the backfield. I still remember in 1996 at Texas Tech him mishandling an option pitch from Scott Frost, and the ball bounced off the ground right back to his hands and he waltzed into the end zone to give us a two-possession lead midway through the fourth quarter; it was a fitting end to a strange game: 10-10 at the half, multiple long missed field goals at the end of the first half, Jon Hesse blocking a punt. Here's Benning's fumble/touchdown (at about 2:00:28 if it doesn't go there right away)...

- IB Derek Brown.

- SS Philip Bland. Too bad his career ended early, he was solid even as a freshman.

- WB Richard Bell.

- CB Lamar Jackson. Overhyped player as a freshman and sophomore when he wore #1, seemed to take on a different approach and was more productive after changing to #21 (similar to Marlon Lucky after changing from #20 to #5).

Moment...
- SS Titus Brothers (with CB Zack Bowman) taking down Michigan TE Tyler Ecker in the strange ending of the 2005 Alamo Bowl.

Great job you pretty much covered it..

Reactions: saluno22
Been watching some of the 90s games. Brown was great.

watching the entire 99 season. however good you think mike brown was, he's better.

No doubt.

A name not mentioned is Paul Miles. Ran for over 1,000 yards as a Husker RB and nearly 700 in his Senior year in 1985. Was simply a victim of the incredibly stacked RB rooms we had in those days while being an extremely talented player in his own right.

He came back to work in our Athletic Department as an Associate AD, and has always been a lifetime Husker who I believe may still hold season tickets.

https://journalstar.com/sports/foot...cle_651e95f7-49d9-5d2a-bdd2-a8fa97762ea0.html

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT