ADVERTISEMENT

2025 OL is concerning

Huskermatt23

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2017
Seattle
2024 OL is average at best, they really struggle in run blocking and getting a push. But looking toward next year, there is not a lot of guys I would trust to step in. Not a lot of vets returning, and if they are they are injury prone. The younger guys who have got playing time are not doing much. The staff will need to hit the portal hard this offseason.

Reactions: HominidHusker
They'll need to poach linemen like no other x2. Might as well poach the best o-line assistant in cfb. Lord knows we are stuck with you know who.

Last edited:
2024 OL is average at best, they really struggle in run blocking and getting a push. But looking toward next year, there is not a lot of guys I would trust to step in. Not a lot of vets returning, and if they are they are injury prone. The younger guys who have got playing time are not doing much. The staff will need to hit the portal hard this offseason.
Vets aren't really lighting the world on fire

Can they manage to not jump offfsides when we need just one yard? Because that is what we’ve had for the last seven years.

I don’t agree. Excellent recruiting the last 2 cycles has created depth. Expect an upward trend on the O-line.

Many moons ago I read one of those season previews on Ohio State and it read "the bad news is they gradute their entire secondary, the good news is their entire secondary from last season is gone.."

...if last years o-line class is as advertised, bring it.
People need to come to the realization that we're not going to be able to buy the best OTs in the portal. Yeah we're top ten in NIL but the top programs are so far above us in cash available to pay players that it's ridiculous. I just hope we can keep DR.

Gottula did a pretty damned good job last night so there's that. Jenkins will be back. Need a right tackle and left guard to step in and somebody to beat out Lutovsky. Competition will be fierce for those spots.

1. Scott and Benhart are our only Senior starters now. Everyone else is back.

2. The new guys we have brought in the past 2 years are more talented than the ones they're replacing.

2025 will be fine.

The 2 concerns I have with the current line are physical strength/leverage and that we try to run toss sweeps into 9 in the box. Gottula, Sledge, Brix, Tamura, Pyle, Maciejczak will be stronger players.

2. The new guys we have brought in the past 2 years are more talented than the ones they're replacing.

2025 will be fine.

The 2 concerns I have with the current line are physical strength/leverage and that we try to run toss sweeps into 9 in the box. Gottula, Sledge, Brix, Tamura, Pyle, Maciejczak will be stronger players.
Benhart can declare if he wants. Not sure what his prospects would be. Sledge and Brix will be in line for PT.

Benhart can declare if he wants. Not sure what his prospects would be. Sledge and Brix will be in line for PT.
Benhart is a 6th year Senior. I don't think he has to declare. Next year's OL assuming Teddy can make it back.

LT - Teddy/Brix
LG - Evans/Pyle
C - Sledge/Evans
RG - Henry/Kannak
RT - Gottula/Tamura

Reactions: dinglefritz

2025 will be fine.

Why aren't any of those guys besides Gottula able to get PT then? Especially when Lutovsky has been god awful and made the block of his life yesterday only because his running back had to push him into someone.

Benhart is a 6th year Senior. I don't think he has to declare. Next year's OL assuming Teddy can make it back.

LT - Teddy/Brix
LG - Evans/Pyle
C - Sledge/Evans
RG - Henry/Kannak
RT - Gottula/Tamura
I keep hearing Benhart could come back but I'm not sure how.

Why aren't any of those guys besides Gottula able to get PT then? Especially when Lutovsky has been god awful and made the block of his life yesterday only because his running back had to push him into someone.
Sledge has Scott in front of him. Maciejczak has Benhart in front of him. Brix, Tamura, and Pyle are true freshman for God's sake!

I keep hearing Benhart could come back but I'm not sure how.
That's not true, don't know who would tell you that. He was part of the 2019 class and is in his 5th year as a starter. He has the same situation as Gifford and Robinson.

Sledge has Scott in front of him. Maciejczak has Benhart in front of him. Brix, Tamura, and Pyle are true freshman for God's sake!
Macz is a guard right? I think they're going to try to preserve redshirts on most of the youngsters. They want to get old in the O line.

Reactions: baseball_23
Macz is a guard right? I think they're going to try to preserve redshirts on most of the youngsters. They want to get old in the O line.
Macz can play both and redshirted last season.

Again, you don't have to "preserve" redshirts. You can take them any season for any reason until you have played more than 4 in 4 seasons.

Need to bring in 3 quality transfers and let the competition shake out.
Depth is also very important…. as we’ve seen going to #3 OT only a few games in.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT