ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Texas WR Brice Turner commits to Nebraska

His connections in Texas high schools probably helped him find this kid.
Well I'd bet that Rhule was evaluating recruits long before he accepted the Nebraska job. He wanted to coach somewhere in college and had a lot of time on his hands after being fired and no hobbies to occupy him.

I don’t know if you heard Charlie McBride’s interview on 590 a couple of weeks ago but it was informative in that regard. He was talking to a current college coach friend and asked him if he had watched Nebraska this year and what he thought the problem was. The guy’s answer was they’re lacking speed at key positions.
The trouble is we weren't particularly physical either. So not much team speed and a no pads in practice finesse team? That explains the W-L record pretty well.

Yes. I remember when Callahan landed Harrison Beck and we were all giddy and conjuring up conference championship scenarios because one of the most highly rated pro style QB's committed to us. And he turned into a complete bust. And a few of our current offensive lineman were solid four star guys we were all excited about only to have them suck. I remember when Marlon Lucky was touted as the next Mike Rozier and he turned out to be a decent but not great running back. Don't get me wrong -- stars matter and the higher the recruits we get the better. You can't win championships with just developmental players. Even Osborne did not win a national title until he landed Tommie and guys like Wistrom, Dwayne Harris, and the Peter brothers on defense.

But championship teams are built with great players combined with great coaching and team chemistry. I love the Rhule hire, but the verdict is still out. The time for winning the damn offseason is over. Now we must win in the real season. And for that we will have to wait.
Prepare to be waterboarded with kool aid.

Well I'd bet that Rhule was evaluating recruits long before he accepted the Nebraska job. He wanted to coach somewhere in college and had a lot of time on his hands after being fired and no hobbies to occupy him.
From what I’ve read verifiable track times are a huge deal for Rhule. I’m sure it was very easy to find this kid in Texas. He has to be getting texts and calls from some of the high school coaches in Texas that he knows too if they have a kid that’s being over looked. There are some GREAT stories from Tom and his staff showing up to a practice or game to watch a player then ending up offering a different kid that wasn’t getting any recruiting attention. Neil Smith was one of those guys.

Trev told us the kind of coach he wanted. Rhule told us exactly how he recruits and operates. Rhule’s track record of recruiting “missed” guys and coaching them up is out there for all to see.

People on here bitch because of “no stars” or “need to wait and see.” You can’t make this shit up
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with “need to wait and see”.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
It’s just nice to see a head coach recruit kids to a system. He knows what he is looking for and he goes and gets them.

Time will tell but I like a coach who does his own evaluations. It’s been since Solich since we had a coach where you could put tape on a kid and see exactly why he got the scholarship.

It's not the entire strategy. He's got a system for development, but he needs top quality raw materials first. How anyone knows when a player has room to grow versus having peaked is a mystery to me.
If this is TLDR, no problem.

The Soviet Union was the first country to use model physical characteristics to be able to project future growth, potential speed, and the sport most suited to match the athletes projected size, etc.

If a young athlete was 4"-5" taller than his age group, and his dad was 6'5" and the mom 6'0" that young kid, usually by age 9, would be developed into either a volleyball or basketball player. If the 9-year-old boy was very fast for his age, and his parents were 5'10" and 5'4", especially if either were heavily muscled, then he would be developed into a sprinter.

For 11 years I worked in Little Rock and then San Francisco with the former Soviet Union Olympic sprint coach. Prior to my association with him, he had identified Sergei Bubka as a 9-year-old. He was a great athlete, a very fast, but not an elite sprinter, so they developed him into a pole vaulter. Over the year, Bubka set the world record in the pole vault and re-broke it about 6-8 times. (A 1/8th" at a time because each time he set a new world record he got 100K). Coach T called him "a sprinter with a pole."

Rhule uses model physical characteristics along with track speed, especially legitimate 200-meter time, dovetail that with high-level development including a top-notch strength and conditioning program.

Since he fired Ellis, I would assume he will incorporate a different type of training table, but, that's just a guess. He may not be satisfied with the BMI, the percentage of fat compared to muscle in different position groups. and steps will be taken to bring those into closer contact with what he feels he needs to rebuild this program.

This is a program that needs a complete makeover, and it looks like that's what he will be attempting to do. I've said it 100 times, you can't eat an elephant in one bite. Bit by bit some of these areas will be up and running and then it's off to the next piece of the puzzle to be solved. When it comes together, we will see what we have.

The Soviet Union was the first country to use model physical characteristics to be able to project future growth, potential speed, and the sport most suited to match the athletes projected size, etc.

If a young athlete was 4"-5" taller than his age group, and his dad was 6'5" and the mom 6'0" that young kid, usually by age 9, would be developed into either a volleyball or basketball player. If the 9-year-old boy was very fast for his age, and his parents were 5'10" and 5'4", especially if either were heavily muscled, then he would be developed into a sprinter.

For 11 years I worked in Little Rock and then San Francisco with the former Soviet Union Olympic sprint coach. Prior to my association with him, he had identified Sergei Bubka as a 9-year-old. He was a great athlete, a very fast, but not an elite sprinter, so they developed him into a pole vaulter. Over the year, Bubka set the world record in the pole vault and re-broke it about 6-8 times. (A 1/8th" at a time because each time he set a new world record he got 100K). Coach T called him "a sprinter with a pole."

Rhule uses model physical characteristics along with track speed, especially legitimate 200-meter time, dovetail that with high-level development including a top-notch strength and conditioning program.

Since he fired Ellis, I would assume he will incorporate a different type of training table, but, that's just a guess. He may not be satisfied with the BMI, the percentage of fat compared to muscle in different position groups. and steps will be taken to bring those into closer contact with what he feels he needs to rebuild this program.

This is a program that needs a complete makeover, and it looks like that's what he will be attempting to do. I've said it 100 times, you can't eat an elephant in one bite. Bit by bit some of these areas will be up and running and then it's off to the next piece of the puzzle to be solved. When it comes together, we will see what we have.
Great post, lotsa light and no heat.

I think the formula of Rhule was fairly clear. The problem is the results have not been nearly as clear. So answer this question - do you think Nebraska can consistently win the division with this strategy?
Results? He has been here a couple weeks. I’ll go ahead and let him coach a few actual games first. I think it is obvious Nebraska can win the division that way. How do you think other teams in the west have been doing it?

Reactions: headcard

Did your former Soviet coach friend mention the vitamin program they were using😉

dated a woman years ago whose brother was the world jr javelin champion(18 y/o and under) athletic all over. turned out years later he had a heart condition and the heart dr told him he had a heart almost double the size of a normal person.
along same line the race horse secretariat also had a giant heart compared to his competition.
does rhule xray his recruits?

Did your former Soviet coach friend mention the vitamin program they were using😉
At least the Huskers didn't use any PED's during the 80' and '90s. LOL
dated a woman years ago whose brother was the world jr javelin champion(18 y/o and under) athletic all over. turned out years later he had a heart condition and the heart dr told him he had a heart almost double the size of a normal person.
along same line the race horse secretariat also had a giant heart compared to his competition.
I doubt Rhule would x-ray these kids.

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy often associated with heavy weight training and roids A cardiologist I know used to do do ekgs and then stress tests for the Huskers. The percentage of guys with ekg abnormalities from hypertrophic hearts was very high in the 80s and 90s.

I have no doubt that virtually all Soviet athletes were juiced.
Agree, the vast majority. They took blood from the athletes a LOT more than you would have thought.

During that type of competition, they would grab some of them, shuttle them out into the waters and "refresh" them in different ways. They were really into pharmacology. LOL

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy often associated with heavy weight training and roids A cardiologist I know used to do do ekgs and then stress tests for the Huskers. The percentage of guys with ekg abnormalities from hypertrophic hearts was very high in the 80s and 90s.
Now all you have to do is take the jab. It won't enlarge the heart, but it will the clots that are forming.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I am optimistic. But I will not buy into hype and kool aid. We got a solid looking recruit today. Good on us. I hope that trend continues. I am optimistic it will. But nothing has been proven yet. As of now it is all just hypotheticals. Come next season, show me the goods.
Kool Aid was invented in Nebraska, drink up!

Usually after the fact. It always starts with “we put the stars on them”.
Ha!

Soooo true!

While the idea of being a "developmental" program is nice, with the new transfer rules, tampering and NIL...you are better off getting the very best players you can.

Ha!

Soooo true!

While the idea of being a "developmental" program is nice, with the new transfer rules, tampering and NIL...you are better off getting the very best players you can.
It's got to be hard to evaluate players in the portal due to the speed and volume. I'd guess that 98% are not worth having. Most of them disgruntled and not loyal. Almost none of them are good offensive linemen which is the area of need.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Results? He has been here a couple weeks. I’ll go ahead and let him coach a few actual games first. I think it is obvious Nebraska can win the division that way. How do you think other teams in the west have been doing it?
Long term results. sheez. That's the question. I know Tom was famous for having an eye, I was in Goodland when Brook was recruited and another kid walked on as a TE. I am asking where is the long term approach and metrics that indicate this will work. Where are the results overall? Mixed in yes, overall, hard to find.

It's got to be hard to evaluate players in the portal due to the speed and volume. I'd guess that 98% are not worth having. Most of them disgruntled and not loyal. Almost none of them are good offensive linemen which is the area of need.
I could only imagine how hard it is plus you getting "good" info on them from their current coach that they are leaving has to be hard.

Reactions: drubendall
Yes. I remember when Callahan landed Harrison Beck and we were all giddy and conjuring up conference championship scenarios because one of the most highly rated pro style QB's committed to us. And he turned into a complete bust. And a few of our current offensive lineman were solid four star guys we were all excited about only to have them suck. I remember when Marlon Lucky was touted as the next Mike Rozier and he turned out to be a decent but not great running back. Don't get me wrong -- stars matter and the higher the recruits we get the better. You can't win championships with just developmental players. Even Osborne did not win a national title until he landed Tommie and guys like Wistrom, Dwayne Harris, and the Peter brothers on defense.

But championship teams are built with great players combined with great coaching and team chemistry. I love the Rhule hire, but the verdict is still out. The time for winning the damn offseason is over. Now we must win in the real season. And for that we will have to wait.
The flip side is that some of our fellow keyboard Kowboys and their over the top negativity are being ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT