ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Commit - Pierce (NE) TE Ben Brahmer

Jurgens may make a big jump this year but nothing he has done so far even remotely suggests that he will be drafted. He has started every game at Center the past two years except one and failed to get even an honorable mention nod from the league or the media. Nationally, he is unranked at his position. That's the cold hard truth. He is 22 this year maybe things will start to click for him. Jurgens has a better shot at being drafted as a Guard IMO but a switch doesn't appear to be in the cards.
Agree to disagree then. I have seen progress and with his athleticism and strength I see him being drafted into the NFL after starting on the OLine for four years.

"The Huskers are likely to only get 1 of the top 5 players in the state next year, lost out on 2 of the top 5 this year, 3 of the top 5 the year prior, and 3 of the top 5 in 2018. Thankfully, they went 5-5 in 2019, but none of these years include the names of Harrison Phillips, CJ Johnson, and Noah Fant."

Reminder, CJ Johnson was the 3rd best recruit in the state WHILE being recruited. So, it's not some sort of revisionist history.

It's not a matter of Nebraska not getting everybody. It's a matter of Nebraska not getting the best in its state. It's clearly been an issue for some time.
There is a night and day difference between someone saying no to NU (Dickerson) and NU not offering someone (CJ Johnson) for our discussion about CJ. If the #3 player in the state isnt a p5 player, you don't offer him. This isnt complex.

Also, CJ Johnson never made the Mountain West First or Second Team All Conference Team OR EVEN flipping Honorable Mention (lol), so yes, he never would have gotten meaningful reps at NU. THERE IS A REASON EVEN KANSAS DIDN'T OFFER HIM! KANSAS for goodness sakes!!!!

Im guessing your next post will be a d2 player from Ord who played in a much more vertical passing scheme than NU at Bakersfield and had higher numbers in college than B. Reilly.

Last edited:
Reactions: drubendall
There is a night and day difference between someone saying no to NU (Dickerson) and NU not offering someone (CJ Johnson) for our discussion about CJ. If the #3 player in the state isnt a p5 player, you don't offer him. This isnt complex.

Also, CJ Johnson never made the Mountain West First or Second Team All Conference Team OR EVEN flipping Honorable Mention (lol), so yes, he never would have gotten meaningful reps at NU. THERE IS A REASON EVEN KANSAS DIDN'T OFFER HIM! KANSAS for goodness sakes!!!!

Im guessing your next post will be a d2 player from Ord who played in a much more vertical passing scheme than NU at Bakersfield and had higher numbers in college than B. Reilly.
No, my next post will be pointing out that the Huskers took this guy in that class instead:

Alston never caught a pass.

Great guess, though. You can beat the table as hard as you like and note a lack of offers, accomplishments, whatever regarding Johnson, but the Huskers obviously need to attempt to keep the small number of Nebraska kids that play D1 in state.

Last edited:
No, my next post will be pointing out that the Huskers took this guy in that class instead:

Alston never caught a pass.

Great guess, though. You can beat the table as hard as you like and note a lack of offers, accomplishments, whatever regarding Johnson, but the Huskers obviously need to attempt to keep the small number of Nebraska kids that play D1 in state.
Good chance Alston would have at least made Honorable Mention in the Mountain-whatever conference with lesser competition at WYO in their WR room and with Top 10 first round nfl pick throwing to him. BTW, besides NU, Alston also had UW and PSU offers among maybe 15 p5 offers. Johnson had an offer from a g5 coach that knew his dad.

Are you gonna complain about Malcolm Lee at KU next?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Brahmer, barring injury, will be a multi-year contributor at NU. It is an excellent offer.

Jurgens, barring injury, will be drafted into the NFL. If not at center than at G. People need to watch his development as a blocker. He isn’t there yet, but he has made great strides and is a hell of an athlete. He’s also just now entering upper classman territory.Lets hope his legs hold up.

(this is from someone who called for pulling him and moving him to G last year during one of his snapping woes.)
From the camp video, I like what I see of Brahmer. He looks quick and smooth and he has plenty of time to put on weight.

Good chance Alston would have at least made Honorable Mention in the Mountain-whatever conference with lesser competition at WYO in their WR room and with Top 10 first round nfl pick throwing to him. BTW, besides NU, Alston also had UW and PSU offers among maybe 15 p5 offers. Johnson had an offer from a g5 coach that knew his dad.

Are you gonna complain about Malcolm Lee at KU next?
Alston never caught a pass anywhere from any college QB, so your prediction that he'd be great at Wyoming is bold...entirely unfounded, but bold.

It's clear you don't think Johnson going to Wyoming hurt NU. That's fine. I hope it's also clear, especially after watching what's happened on offense the last six seasons, why having a guy who averaged 17.7 YPC with a QB who averaged 6.7 YPA would be a huge addition to any Nebraska team.

As for Lee, he had no D1 offers out of high school. Kudos to the kid for going JUCO and getting his shot, but NU took one DE in 2017, 4* Guy Thomas, and then four more in 2019 when Lee was leaving IWCC. Each one of those players is still on the team. Perhaps most importantly, Lee isn't a difference maker for Kansas, so it doesn't make sense to bemoan him not being a difference maker at Nebraska instead.

That aside, Ben Brahmer looks like a solid prospect.

Alston never caught a pass anywhere from any college QB, so your prediction that he'd be great at Wyoming is bold...entirely unfounded, but bold.

It's clear you don't think Johnson going to Wyoming hurt NU. That's fine. I hope it's also clear, especially after watching what's happened on offense the last six seasons, why having a guy who averaged 17.7 YPC with a QB who averaged 6.7 YPA would be a huge addition to any Nebraska team.

As for Lee, he had no D1 offers out of high school. Kudos to the kid for going JUCO and getting his shot, but NU took one DE in 2017, 4* Guy Thomas, and then four more in 2019 when Lee was leaving IWCC. Each one of those players is still on the team. Perhaps most importantly, Lee isn't a difference maker for Kansas, so it doesn't make sense to bemoan him not being a difference maker at Nebraska instead.

That aside, Ben Brahmer looks like a solid prospect.
LOL, Johnson not going to NU definitely didn't hurt the Huskers and apparently it didnt hurt MWC teams much either as Johnson never made even Hon Mention in that mid-major conference.

He's certainly no Lavan Alston, that's for sure.
Busts happen every year, like Septak from MW, Daishon Neal from Central or Micah Kreiekemeier from West Point just off the top of my head. Actually Micah wasnt a bust as nobody expected ANYTHING from him as T.O. offered him to make a point about the greatness of state of Nebraska players and throw a 'ship away--lol. #5.2

And sometimes the performance of players in college that NU passed on makes Nebraska regret not offering them, like Danny Woodhead, but not like THE C.J. Johnson.

Busts happen every year, like Septak from MW, Daishon Neal from Central or Micah Kreiekemeier from West Point just off the top of my head. Actually Micah wasnt a bust as nobody expected ANYTHING from him as T.O. offered him to make a point about the greatness of state of Nebraska players and throw a 'ship away--lol. #5.2

And sometimes the performance of players in college that NU passed on makes Nebraska regret not offering them, like Danny Woodhead, but not like THE C.J. Johnson.

You're still hung up on the offer everyone aspect? That's not what anyone is saying.

THE CJ Johnson was the #3 player in the state for his class and performed as such. THE Kreiekemeier was the 9th best, so the dude wasn't a bust, he was exactly what you'd expect from someone in that spot. THE Neal was a bust, but he's getting an offer literally every time. THE Woodhead was a unicorn and he's literally never getting an offer.

You're still hung up on the offer everyone aspect? That's not what anyone is saying.

THE CJ Johnson was the #3 player in the state for his class and performed as such. THE Kreiekemeier was the 9th best, so the dude wasn't a bust, he was exactly what you'd expect from someone in that spot. THE Neal was a bust, but he's getting an offer literally every time. THE Woodhead was a unicorn and he's literally never getting an offer.
Read slower, I said MK wasnt a bust, lol.

I call a well-fought truce (but Im still right, lol) as today not a day to quarrel as NU advances to the SUPER REGIONALS!

That’s not true. He was a Nebraska fan and has said that he probably would have committed to Nebraska if they offered first.
@dinglefritz
Maybe this was brought up before on the board, but there was a story that the staff had Phillips and Mick Stoltenberg go through an epic one on one battle to see who they would offer a scholly spot. Story was it got pretty intense, and we know how it ended.

• Sad
Again, in a radio interview a few months ago he said that he would have considered NU IF the staff had offered him earlier and made it clear they wanted him. His words. Was he lying?
No not lying. He's a good kid from a good family. I'm sure he would have taken visits and met earnestly with our coaches. But knowing what I do about his academic ambitions, the Stanford degree was too hard to pass up. Now if Nebraska had a top 10 football team and true black shirt defense, we would have stood a much better chance imo. I do not believe this was a difficult decision for him.

What are you showing me? Fidone is ready to play day one from a physical perspective, Brahmer is young but underdeveloped. On that particular route he does not look particularly fast or explosive. There is a reason Fidone is a boarder-line 5* and Brahmer will likely be around a 5.6 3*
Bump

If Ben grows like his father did he will be the size he needs to be by the time he graduates and heads to Lincoln. I knew Mark as a youngster and he was about the same size as Ben as a freshman. Mark was a track athlete, football player and very good basketball player by the time he was a senior. According to people who knew Mark back when and have watched Ben now Ben is already more athletic than Mark was at the same age.

Bump? This changes nothing. He is not close to Fidone from a physical perspective. That isn’t to say he can’t get there, but he is a slow wr until he develops.
LOL! It’s your statement that he’s likely to be a 5.6 3 star. He’s currently a top 250.

I laugh at you internet talent analysts on the board.

Last edited:
Bump? This changes nothing. He is not close to Fidone from a physical perspective. That isn’t to say he can’t get there, but he is a slow wr until he develops.

Well when you were trashing the kid you said he would be a 5.6 3-star and were wrong. You also say he is nothing like Fidone physically. Fidone's Sopohomore year he was 6'4' 205, Brahmer is 6'6 200.

Here are Fidone's So highlights:

Compare to Brahmer's:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT