ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Commit - Pierce (NE) TE Ben Brahmer

Brahmer: 40 yard dash: 5.08
Vertical jump: 30.8"

Jurgens: 40 yard dash: 4.98
Vertical jump: 34.5"

And Jurgens weighs about 100 pounds more.

But yeah, Brahmer is "much faster" and jumps 6" higher. Just letting everyone know that Cornicator is sometimes full of it.
so Jurgens should really be playing TE where he could use that vertical jump.. otherwise it doesn't matter what his vertical is, he's playing center.. who cares?

Believe Piper was class C2 talent and he has held up well as an underclassmen. If that talent is there, offer. And the fact he is willing to commit so soon shows his commitment to the team and that he might actually work his ass off for his home state compared to recruits this cycle that want to go elsewhere.

Believe Piper was class C2 talent and he has held up well as an underclassmen. If that talent is there, offer. And the fact he is willing to commit so soon shows his commitment to the team and that he might actually work his ass off for his home state compared to recruits this cycle that want to go elsewhere.
Or become a big boy program that has enough clout to wait and see how a kid like this develops rather than feel the need to offer early so he doesn’t .... gasp .:.. consider going to Iowa State

Last edited:
Reactions: artguy68
Norfolk Catholic was C1 until Piper was a senior and then they bumped down to C2.

A TE by the name of Matt Herrian was a C1 talent from Pierce as well. He had a really good career until he had that horrible leg injury. If not for that injury he probably plays in the NFL for several years.

so Jurgens should really be playing TE where he could use that vertical jump.. otherwise it doesn't matter what his vertical is, he's playing center.. who cares?
These tests are a measure of athleticism and the staff made the right call putting an athlete at a spot that will be required to pull multiple gaps and block multiple levels more than any other olineman while also needing to have the strength to go face up with a NT.

So, yes, how high he can jump when viewed in a vacuum means very little at C, but his ability to measure up athletically with the opponents' LBs while weighing nearly 300lbs. means a lot.

Your vertical jump has a LOT to do with your fast twitch muscle fibers. It tends to be a very good measure of your quickness. In a spread offense the quicker your center is the better. Jurgens can get to places that Farniok couldn't when he filled in at center. Maybe if Jurgens had hands to go with his vert he would still be at TE.

Reactions: artguy68
Or become a big boy program that has enough clout and wait to see how a kid like this develops rather than feel the need to offer early so he doesn’t .... gasp .:.. consider going to Iowa State
We could always slow play him and wait for Stanford to offer him. That worked out well with Harrison Phillips.

He's good and worth an offer, no reason at all not to offer the kid now.
I don't think Nebraska can afford to slow play anyone regardless of their probability of attending DONU.

The Huskers are likely to only get 1 of the top 5 players in the state next year, lost out on 2 of the top 5 this year, 3 of the top 5 the year prior, and 3 of the top 5 in 2018. Thankfully, they went 5-5 in 2019, but none of these years include the names of Harrison Phillips, CJ Johnson, and Noah Fant. Point being, it's okay to fast play a kid if you think he's the best player in his grade or likely to be top 5.

Plus, the kid's 6'6" at 16. Even if he outgrows TE, he could develop into an OT or DE, so it's not like he's an Isaiah Harris type who might have D1 ability, but was projected as a 16y/o to graduate high school at 5'7" and 165lbs.
NDSU and SDSU to our north are making a living right now making high school TEs offensive tackles. A friend of mine's kid was a 210 lb high school TE. SDSU put 100 pounds on him and he started at OT for them for 2 years.

harrison was always going to go to an elite academic institution

it was Stanford/Duke/UCLA/academy or Ivy.

Neb had zero chance regardless of when an offer came
That is not what he said in a radio interview I heard a few months ago. He said that if Nebraska would have offered before he committed to Stanford he might have chosen the Huskers.

You're right though. We should probably hold out for a few more 4 star out of state guys like Riley landed.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is not what he said in a radio interview I heard a few months ago. He said that if Nebraska would have offered before he committed to Stanford he might have chosen the Huskers.

like I indicated - the kid is smart

NDSU and SDSU to our north are making a living right now making high school TEs offensive tackles. A friend of mine's kid was a 210 lb high school TE. SDSU put 100 pounds on him and he started at OT for them for 2 years.
I don't think it'll happen with Brahmer, but it's nice to have the option.

Jimmy Fritzsche was a TE through his junior season before transitioning to OT as a high school senior. If you're looking for an absolutely best case scenario look no further than Iowa's Robert Gallery who lined up at TE against Nebraska in 2000 and then went #2 in the draft at OT in 2004.

And you're absolutely correct, it's not uncommon if a staff is actually given the time to develop the talent on its roster. Bold take on this forum, I know.

I get your point, but it's not a "one size fits all" topic in my mind. There's a difference between an early offer to a huge Nebraska kid that other D1 schools are talking to, and offering an anonymous 3-star from Florida with mid-major offers. The one thing I think we can (should?) all agree on is that we need to stop missing on in-state D1 talent. What's worse: offering him now and he ends up not contributing, or not offering him and he gets drafted after playing at Iowa State? Not that those are the only two outcomes, but the latter has happened too often.
I agree 100% with this. I can’t say that I trust this staff’s judgement at this point, but if they feel like he is or will be a contributor at the level they expect to play at, then they should offer. They are the ones with jobs on the line. If we are going to reach, I would much rather do so with a local kid.

How in the world are their buddies nothing alike? Tall, skinny, lanky, athletic kids. Fidone has worked hard and filled out a little, but the similarities are very obvious.

What are you showing me? Fidone is ready to play day one from a physical perspective, Brahmer is young but underdeveloped. On that particular route he does not look particularly fast or explosive. There is a reason Fidone is a boarder-line 5* and Brahmer will likely be around a 5.6 3*

What are you showing me? Fidone is ready to play day one from a physical perspective, Brahmer is young but underdeveloped. On that particular route he does not look particularly fast or explosive. There is a reason Fidone is a boarder-line 5* and Brahmer will likely be around a 5.6 3*

Brahmer will be a 4-star, I'm certain, and I am showing you how similar they are physically. You are also comparing a HS Sr to a HS So, but keep bashing the kid, for whatever reason, it's a good look.

These tests are a measure of athleticism and the staff made the right call putting an athlete at a spot that will be required to pull multiple gaps and block multiple levels more than any other olineman while also needing to have the strength to go face up with a NT.

So, yes, how high he can jump when viewed in a vacuum means very little at C, but his ability to measure up athletically with the opponents' LBs while weighing nearly 300lbs. means a lot.
I see.. but being able to actually snap the ball consistently is his strength?

I don't mean to arm twist here, but I'm glad he's a great athlete and all, I just don't think he is at his natural position.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
I see.. but being able to actually snap the ball consistently is his strength?

I don't mean to arm twist here, but I'm glad he's a great athlete and all, I just don't think he is at his natural position.
It's obvious he's struggled snapping the ball, but I doubt Jurgens would put a probable NFL career on the line to pacify someone's desire to move him to a position that didn't maximize his potential. The kid's serving his best interests, too.

A vertical jump test is also a great measure of explosiveness. One of the top traits an offensive lineman needs.

images

It's obvious he's struggled snapping the ball, but I doubt Jurgens would put a probable NFL career on the line to pacify someone's desire to move him to a position that didn't maximize his potential. The kid's serving his best interests, too.
OGC.a65a7564c441a33f12bcdefdce37cc10

looong way to go

We could always slow play him and wait for Stanford to offer him. That worked out well with Harrison Phillips.
Harrison Phillips was always going to Stanford. Stanford degree superior to Nebraska and every other Big ten school

I prefer that our center can actually snap the ball with consistency. More important than his vertical or explosiveness numbers.
Yes. But that's a different issue. He could also play guard and I think he would also make a terrific defensive tackle.

Reactions: headcard
I don't think Nebraska can afford to slow play anyone regardless of their probability of attending DONU.

The Huskers are likely to only get 1 of the top 5 players in the state next year, lost out on 2 of the top 5 this year, 3 of the top 5 the year prior, and 3 of the top 5 in 2018. Thankfully, they went 5-5 in 2019, but none of these years include the names of Harrison Phillips, CJ Johnson, and Noah Fant. Point being, it's okay to fast play a kid if you think he's the best player in his grade or likely to be top 5.

Plus, the kid's 6'6" at 16. Even if he outgrows TE, he could develop into an OT or DE, so it's not like he's an Isaiah Harris type who might have D1 ability, but was projected as a 16y/o to graduate high school at 5'7" and 165lbs.
CJ Johnson was not a p5 scholarship player. His zero p5 offers, even being a p5 legacy, and his so-so numbers at Wyoming, even with Josh Allen throwing to him, backs that up.

He had only avg speed for a g5 WR, and at 6-1 he wasnt a mismatch and couldn't make people miss as well. Never would have been in mix at NU to start.

He had ok numbers at WYO as their #2 or #3 receiver, and again, with Allen passing. I saw some games and he never "flashed." Would have been a solid walk-on at NU. The only thing I remember about his career, besides Clester whining to anyone who would listen that he got no p5s offered, was a pass from Allen bouncing off his numbers in a bowl game.

Brahmer, barring injury, will be a multi-year contributor at NU. It is an excellent offer.

Jurgens, barring injury, will be drafted into the NFL. If not at center than at G. People need to watch his development as a blocker. He isn’t there yet, but he has made great strides and is a hell of an athlete. He’s also just now entering upper classman territory.Lets hope his legs hold up.

(this is from someone who called for pulling him and moving him to G last year during one of his snapping woes.)

CJ Johnson was not a p5 scholarship player. His zero p5 offers, even being a p5 legacy, and his so-so numbers at Wyoming, even with Josh Allen throwing to him, backs that up.

He had only avg speed for a g5 WR, and at 6-1 he wasnt a mismatch and couldn't make people miss as well. Never would have been in mix at NU to start.

He had ok numbers at WYO as their #2 or #3 receiver, and again, with Allen passing. I saw some games and he never "flashed." Would have been a solid walk-on at NU. The only thing I remember about his career, besides Clester whining to anyone who would listen that he got no p5s offered, was a pass from Allen bouncing off his numbers in a bowl game.
Gonna have to disagree.

Johnson averaged 17.7 per catch in a year that Allen averaged 6.7 per attempt with a 56.3% completion percentage (2017 - both player's last with the Wyoming program).

For reference, Jordan Westerkamp, Kenny Bell, JD Spielman, and Stanley Morgan played a combined 15 seasons at Nebraska and had a total of 1 (one) season with a per catch average of greater than 17.7 (JD Spielman at 18.3 in 2019).

For further reference, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, Tanner Lee, and Adrian Martinez have a combined 1 (one) season at Nebraska with a YPComp. lower than Allen's 6.7 in 2017 (TMagic at 6.1 in 2013), and the only QB at Nebraska to post a completion percentage lower than Allen's 56.3% in 2017 was Tommy Armstrong (who did so in all four of his seasons).

I'm not saying CJ Johnson is an All-American if he attended NU or that Allen was a scrub (he was great in 2016 and he's certainly developed into a terrific pro), but Johnson did as much for Allen as Allen did for Johnson and the QBs at Nebraska have had, generally, better seasons than Allen did in 2017 with the exception of the ever so important TD/INT ratio. I doubt there's a direct carryover of statistics from G5 to P5, but to say Allen carried Johnson is not accurate.

Gonna have to disagree.

Johnson averaged 17.7 per catch in a year that Allen averaged 6.7 per attempt with a 56.3% completion percentage (2017 - both player's last with the Wyoming program).

For reference, Jordan Westerkamp, Kenny Bell, JD Spielman, and Stanley Morgan played a combined 15 seasons at Nebraska and had a total of 1 (one) season with a per catch average of greater than 17.7 (JD Spielman at 18.3 in 2019).

For further reference, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, Tanner Lee, and Adrian Martinez have a combined 1 (one) season at Nebraska with a YPComp. lower than Allen's 6.7 in 2017 (TMagic at 6.1 in 2013), and the only QB at Nebraska to post a completion percentage lower than Allen's 56.3% in 2017 was Tommy Armstrong (who did so in all four of his seasons).

I'm not saying CJ Johnson is an All-American if he attended NU or that Allen was a scrub (he was great in 2016 and he's certainly developed into a terrific pro), but Johnson did as much for Allen as Allen did for Johnson and the QBs at Nebraska have had, generally, better seasons than Allen did in 2017 with the exception of the ever so important TD/INT ratio. I doubt there's a direct carryover of statistics from G5 to P5, but to say Allen carried Johnson is not accurate.
Never said he "carried" him. With Allen's arm, he greatly help all his WRs and that is obvious.

Again, no p5 offers, not even Kansas or ISU in 2014, as avg speed at 6-1. And he didnt stand out vs g5 comp when he did play as a #2 or #3 WR with a QB with a cannon.

Never said he "carried" him. With Allen's arm, he greatly help all his WRs and that is obvious.

Again, no p5 offers, not even Kansas or ISU in 2014, as avg speed at 6-1. And he didnt stand out vs g5 comp when he did play as a #2 or #3 WR with a QB with a cannon.
You certainly implied it, but I digress. You noting the lack of Johnson's explosion is what's questionable in your comment.

Wyoming's #1 receiver had 31 more catches than Johnson (61 to 30)...he only had 18 more yards receiving than Johnson and averaged 9 YPC (to Johnson's 17.7) in accordance. In fact, nobody else on their roster with 10+ catches averaged greater than 15 YPC. So, Johnson was the only Wyoming guy who could consistently take the top off the defense and that skill plays everywhere.

As for the lack of P5 offers, a lot of teams missed on the guy. My point is nobody had a longer or closer look than the University of Nebraska and that's been a frequent issue for some time.

You certainly implied it, but I digress. You noting the lack of Johnson's explosion is what's questionable in your comment.

Wyoming's #1 receiver had 31 more catches than Johnson (61 to 30)...he only had 18 more yards receiving than Johnson and averaged 9 YPC (to Johnson's 17.7) in accordance. In fact, nobody else on their roster with 10+ catches averaged greater than 15 YPC. So, Johnson was the only Wyoming guy who could consistently take the top off the defense and that skill plays everywhere.

As for the lack of P5 offers, a lot of teams missed on the guy. My point is nobody had a longer or closer look than the University of Nebraska and that's been a frequent issue for some time.
Two NU staffs, like the rest of p5, passed on CJ Johnson as he was a not p5 quality and his career showed that.

And no, it hasn't been an issue at NU for quite some time as you can't offer every good player and many of your offers are relative to your depth chart, so more complex than just making offers. Also, 99% of the time criticism like that anywhere is hindsight-20/20 with the inexact "science" of recruiting.

Two NU staffs, like the rest of p5, passed on CJ Johnson as he was a not p5 quality and his career showed that.

And no, it hasn't been an issue at NU for quite some time as you can't offer every good player and many of your offers are relative to your depth chart, so more complex than just making offers. Also, 99% of the time criticism like that anywhere is hindsight-20/20 with the inexact "science" of recruiting.

"The Huskers are likely to only get 1 of the top 5 players in the state next year, lost out on 2 of the top 5 this year, 3 of the top 5 the year prior, and 3 of the top 5 in 2018. Thankfully, they went 5-5 in 2019, but none of these years include the names of Harrison Phillips, CJ Johnson, and Noah Fant."

Reminder, CJ Johnson was the 3rd best recruit in the state WHILE being recruited. So, it's not some sort of revisionist history.

It's not a matter of Nebraska not getting everybody. It's a matter of Nebraska not getting the best in its state. It's clearly been an issue for some time.

I coach or did coach at the time that these guys were around. This is just stuff I heard, I did not coach for these guys teams.

If CJ did not have the last name he has, this would be a non-issue. What Huff has/is doing at BW is going to create a lot of CJ's.

Phillips was never going to NU or Iowa or anywhere that was not a top academic school.

This current TE, who I have never seen until this clip, looks like he will be trouble for other teams. LOOOOOOOONG

Jurgens, barring injury, will be drafted into the NFL.
Jurgens may make a big jump this year but nothing he has done so far even remotely suggests that he will be drafted. He has started every game at Center the past two years except one and failed to get even an honorable mention nod from the league or the media. Nationally, he is unranked at his position. That's the cold hard truth. He is 22 this year maybe things will start to click for him. Jurgens has a better shot at being drafted as a Guard IMO but a switch doesn't appear to be in the cards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT