ADVERTISEMENT

2022 roster attrition (update & recap in post #40)

Hskrbsbl2020

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 1, 2019
Got a busy couple days ahead of me, so hopefully others can update this as it comes...

Banjo and 2 other guys (šŸ ) from the same high school recruiting class are gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrighteRed24
Who would that be? Palmer, Sartori? Iā€™m a little surprised Banjoff is moving on.

Sartori is a JUCO player. I shared the Banjo news a few weeks back, expect Kent State or another MAC school as his landing spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: sui111
It's official, nobody from the 2019 will be on the roster going forward.

@HuskerFan31 some strong rumors your favorite player is staying. Unable to 100% confirm, but I'll be shocked if he stays.

Schanaman moving on TBD.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiceManHusker

@HuskerFan31 some strong rumors your favorite player is staying. Unable to 100% confirm, but I'll be shocked if he stays.

Schanaman moving on TBD.

Schanaman moving on TBD.
Help me out here.. 2019 Class would be current seniors or redshirt juniors correct? Thanks.

Was hoping Gomes would come back as he seemed to really help late in the season.

Gomes is a 2018 HS graduate. It sounds like he's ready to move on to life after baseball but maybe the staff can talk him out of that. He has 2 years of eligibility left as he's only played 2019 & 2022 (2020 covid, 2021 injured).

Mason, Feekin, Bradford, Bragg, Banjoff, Palmer, Steihl are 7 confirmed.

Sounds like Griff & Shay return only if they're not offered at the next level. Both will even take the Hallmark route. Frank asked back, up to him if he wants to return - maybe he wants to look for something closer to home?

Jackson, mixed signals all day. A lot of he's returning and a couple he's gone. I'd be shocked if he returns.

That's all the updates from me.

Sounds like Griff & Shay return only if they're not offered at the next level. Both will even take the Hallmark route. Frank asked back, up to him if he wants to return - maybe he wants to look for something closer to home?

Jackson, mixed signals all day. A lot of he's returning and a couple he's gone. I'd be shocked if he returns.

Disappointed that Bragg is leaving. I hope Jackson sticks it out at NU, he will be a good ballplayer.

Chase Mason left before the season back in October 21 back to SD as he wanted to play football.

Disappointed that Bragg is leaving. I hope Jackson sticks it out at NU, he will be a good ballplayer.
Weā€™re going to have to really reload the infield and outfield with jucos it appears, especially if Jackson and Gomes donā€™t come back. Numbers of options look extremely limited right now.

Quinn Mason is still on the team.

Not any more. ;)

Petersen gone too

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is GOLD for an old rabid Husker Baseball fan like myself, settled back home in Philly, & completely out of touch with the local scene anymore.

Appreciate the updates! @Hskrbsbl2020 - I'm guessing you're who I think you are. Well connected as always. Hope you are well my old friend.

Last edited:
HuskerOnline has confirmed that six Nebraska baseball players officially entered the transfer portal on Thursday and eight have gone in since Apr. 20. Here is the full list:
  • P - Quinn Mason
  • OF - Tyler Palmer
  • INF - Jack Steil
  • INF - Leighton Banjoff
  • P - Ethan Bradford
  • P - Braxton Bragg
  • P - Tyler Martin (5/13 entry)
  • INF - Kyler Randazzo (4/20 entry)

Reactions: RobsterMobster
HuskerOnline has confirmed that six Nebraska baseball players officially entered the transfer portal on Thursday and eight have gone in since Apr. 20. Here is the full list:
  • P - Quinn Mason
  • OF - Tyler Palmer
  • INF - Jack Steil
  • INF - Leighton Banjoff
  • P - Ethan Bradford
  • P - Braxton Bragg
  • P - Tyler Martin (5/13 entry)
  • INF - Kyler Randazzo (4/20 entry)
Did Jelkin land somewhere?

Gomes released for portal.

Unless a tremendous opportunity presents itself, as in MLB or a large scholarship offer elsewhere, my guess is Colby is done with baseball although he has 2 years of eligibility left. He earned his degree, will be 23 years old this fall, & I don't think he's a big fan of school. He's a really neat kid from a tremendous family.

Last edited:
I don't want to speculate, but figured what the heck since we're so deep in to the thread. I'm afraid we may lose Frank and this would be the first player asked back that (strong chance) doesn't. I anticipate he'll transfer somewhere closer to home and quite frankly - no pun intended - I really can't blame him.

@HuskerFan31 correct

I don't want to speculate, but figured what the heck since we're so deep in to the thread. I'm afraid we may lose Frank and this would be the first player asked back that (strong chance) doesn't. I anticipate he'll transfer somewhere closer to home and quite frankly - no pun intended - I really can't blame him.

@HuskerFan31 correct
I really try hard not to single out kids, but my God they have to be able to find a better player in the portal/JUCO than Cervantes. It would be a miracle if he made it over the Mendoza line and they didn't even have him play in the middle infield for most of the season.

Frank would be a tough loss, but it's hard to blame him if he finds a good spot closer to home.

I really try hard not to single out kids, but my God they have to be able to find a better player in the portal/JUCO than Cervantes. It would be a miracle if he made it over the Mendoza line and they didn't even have him play in the middle infield for most of the season.

Better player, or better hitter? There's a big difference here.

Completely understand and what you say is 110% accurate. However, to have that glove at the corner late in the game is something I'm willing to accept. Add in what the 2022 team lacked in leadership, cohesiveness and all around quality teammates - it makes sense why they want him back. His personality, love for the game & respect from others isn't easily replaced.

The kid played all season with a partial fracture that was (purely a guess) 75% healed.

Plus, who's to say they won't look for a portal guy? Right now, we have Anderson, Matthews, Cervantes & Jackson (TBD) with 1 JUCO & 1 HS middle guy coming this fall. Things can change after the fall.

I enjoy Cervantesā€™ glove but his effort at the plate goes beyond his average. He hit a ball straight up and could of been on 2nd except he never left home and got tagged out. Just not a huge fan of that effort style. If you are a sub .200 hitter you take advantage of any opportunity you can. If heā€™s back I hope he doesnā€™t start and is more so a late addition defensive glove is all.

(Edited per info from Hskrbl2020 #40)
This is not a depth chart and some of these guys could move around. I am just trying to get a handle of what we have position-wise. I included returning players and questionable returners in bold with ?. Updated per post #40

C - Everitt?, Caron, Columbus
1 - Anderson, Walsh, Clark
2 - Jackson, Carey, Mozley
SS - Matthews, Hughes
3 - Cervantes, Swansen, Pauley
LF Jessen, Evans
CF Satori, D Johnson, Burham
RF Anglim, Z Johnson,Lewis

RHP
Frahm
Lundquist
Novotny
Berggren
Sears
Ornelas,Hood,Hawkins,Christo
Shay?, Frank?

LHP:
Sleeper
Dreher
Olsen,Brockett,Benson, Guthmiller,
Bunz,Perry

Last edited:
Things have quieted down. A lot of sadness this week, but if we sit back and analyze it - I can't imagine very many blaming the coaches for flipping the roster after a disastrous season. It sucks what happened, but it's needed. We have to move forward and do everything in our power to improve the roster for 2023.

With that said, the flip doesn't give the coaches a slide for inexperience in 2023. It was their choice to make these moves and, at least for me, can't grant them a "free year" for this. That "free year" is 2022, only because of the success in 2021.

So here's a recap:

Known departures (12)
Banjoff, Bragg, Bradford, Palmer, Steil, Mason, Gomes, Chick, Feekin (volunteer assistant at NU), Petersen, Wimmers (mutual departure, he'll likely drop to D2), Wessel (retiring from baseball)

I've been told all true freshmen in 2021 are returning except Petersen (Guthmiller moved to the bump but I've heard he's having second thoughts). 11 returning is disappointing. I still question Jackson, but at least wanted to add what I heard late last night. He's telling the coaches one thing and others something else. So he'll be added to the roster numbers below till 1 of us can confirm otherwise.

Asked to return, undecided
Schanaman, Everitt, Frank
Shay & Griff return if no opportunity at next level. Frank possibly transferring closer to home. I'm unaware of any time-line request by the staff for these 3. I assume there has to be one for Frank. Although I really want Frank back - the portal is our friend, not enemy, so we can't be held hostage.

Roster count, confirmed:
(1) Jessen, (2) Caron, (3) Jackson, (4) Christo, (5) Hood, (6) Brockett, (7) Benson, (8) Hawkins, (9) Swansen, (10) Guthmiller, (11) Anglim, (12) Walsh, (13) Anderson, (14) Matthews, (15) Olson, (16) Sartori, (17) Ornelas, (18) Cervantes, (19) Perry, (20) Bunz.

(21) Schanaman, (22) Everitt, (23) Frank

@HuskerFan31 has our incoming class currently at 16. ((Edit to add: just got another commit so we're at 17.)) I know we're still looking for 2-4 more, portal is priority, so the attrition isn't over.

(20) + (17) = 37. Add Shay, Griff, Koty & we're currently at 40.

2023 season has a roster maximum of 40 players allowed which includes no more than 5 guys with a covid season to use. If they weren't in college, at any level, in 2020 then they count towards our 35.

Okay, back to shriveled body parts at Charles Schwabb Stadium. I'll ask one thing, we're dealing with 18-22 year olds that can change their mind quicker than a woman, well, you know so take it easy on me if something else transpires over the next 12 weeks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT