ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting class so far

zamzman

Senior
Jul 1, 2004
Good:
1. Top to bottom, all 14 recruits appear to be Big 10 Power 5 quality athletes. Even the "bottom" rated recruits (in 247, that's Malik Williams and Rivals it's either Webb or Buford) looks like they're good prospects. N2FL put Seth Malcom at the bottom of his rankings, and he appears to be a prototypical Big 10 LB recruit to me.
2. Finally some size at WR. Hardy and Neville are both big kids with decent speed.
3. Pass rushing LBs with length. I liked Gunnerson last year but I think he may end up as a lineman instead of a LB. In past classes, our outside LB numbers have been low and "under the radar" types. This finally seems closer to what Frost and Chinander want for their defense.
Bad:
1. Losing in-state talent. I can't emphasize how much this sucks.
2. Top-end talent. Who's our top recruit? Prochaszka? He's a big get, but where would he rank in our 2020 class? Betts, Corcoran, Greene are 3 freshman prospects I'd rate ahead of him, and maybe Gunnerson as well. We have to develop our "good" talent into "great" players. It happens all the time. I just want a few more premier, top 100 quality talents that *should* be great players, just to improve our odds.

Good:
1. Top to bottom, all 14 recruits appear to be Big 10 Power 5 quality athletes. Even the "bottom" rated recruits (in 247, that's Malik Williams and Rivals it's either Webb or Buford) looks like they're good prospects. N2FL put Seth Malcom at the bottom of his rankings, and he appears to be a prototypical Big 10 LB recruit to me.
2. Finally some size at WR. Hardy and Neville are both big kids with decent speed.
3. Pass rushing LBs with length. I liked Gunnerson last year but I think he may end up as a lineman instead of a LB. In past classes, our outside LB numbers have been low and "under the radar" types. This finally seems closer to what Frost and Chinander want for their defense.
Bad:
2. Top-end talent. Who's our top recruit? Prochaszka? He's a big get, but where would he rank in our 2020 class? Betts, Corcoran, Greene are 3 freshman prospects I'd rate ahead of him, and maybe Gunnerson as well. We have to develop our "good" talent into "great" players. It happens all the time. I just want a few more premier, top 100 quality talents that *should* be great players, just to improve our odds.

Im not exactly sure how Teddy Prochazka would fit into the 2020 rankings but going off of their Rivals rankings alone, it would be

Zavier Betts, Turner Corcoran, Teddy Prochazka and then KeShawn Greene.

Now if you are going off of 24/7s composite rankings, all players above .90 composite ranking, it would be....

Turner Corcoran (.9749), Zavier Betts (.9506), KeShawn Greene (.9386), Teddy Prochazka (.9125), Randolph Kpai (.9078), Marcus Fleming (.9074), Omar Manning (.9053) and then Nadab Joseph (.9050)

but hate using the composite ratings here because I honestly feel 24/7 rapped Teddy on his ranking. He is clearly no mid level 3 star. He was due for the 5 star challenge via Rivals this year.

Last edited:
Good:
Bad:

I agree with all of this.

1.) I think after Pelini was gone and we were no longer built for the Big 12, it's been hard for us to fit into the Big Ten. We're Nebraska, we shouldn't be getting our clocks cleaned by anyone, we should be losing close, tough games. (I recently re-watched the 2005 Michigan-Nebraska game that someone mentioned, and even under Callahan, we went out there and it was a ****ing dogfight and we looked like a team you could be proud of). Clearly, we needed to recruit different kinds of athletes, regardless of star rating (well, sort of), and I hope that the mix of speed, length, and size that Frost and his staff are going for is part of the solution to that problem.

2.) WR's look great. Second to our DB's in terms of how stacked the room is getting.

3.) Also true. And I agree, Gunnerson looks like a stud but his frame is definitely a little bit bigger than most LB's are. He looks like he could wind up being an Adam Carriker type DE.

1a.) There is some serious in-state talent for the class of 2022. An OL from Central, a monster OLB at Burke, and two kids at Bellevue West. We need to snag all 4.

I agree with all of this.

1.) I think after Pelini was gone and we were no longer built for the Big 12, it's been hard for us to fit into the Big Ten. We're Nebraska, we shouldn't be getting our clocks cleaned by anyone, we should be losing close, tough games. (I recently re-watched the 2005 Michigan-Nebraska game that someone mentioned, and even under Callahan, we went out there and it was a ****ing dogfight and we looked like a team you could be proud of). Clearly, we needed to recruit different kinds of athletes, regardless of star rating (well, sort of), and I hope that the mix of speed, length, and size that Frost and his staff are going for is part of the solution to that problem.

I remember Pelini admitting that we had to change recruiting different type LBer’s moving from the Big 12 to the B1G from wide splits and wide open offenses to shorter line gaps and more physical running teams...

Besides for the exception of Lavonte David it took a couple 3 years to get that type of linebackers in the system and by that time he was fired..

Reactions: huskerssalts
I remember Pelini admitting that we had to change recruiting different type LBer’s moving from the Big 12 to the B1G from wide splits and wide open offenses to shorter line gaps and more physical running teams...

Besides for the exception of Lavonte David it took a couple 3 years to get that type of linebackers in the system and by that time he was fired..

One thing is for sure, when we came to the BIG 10 from the Big 12, our defense was set up for the spread offenses. Then teams like Wisconsin gave our defense fits because our defense wasn’t originally designed to play a run heavy team like that. When we played teams that the spread offense, we where good to go.

One thing is for sure, when we came to the BIG 10 from the Big 12, our defense was set up for the spread offenses. Then teams like Wisconsin gave our defense fits because our defense wasn’t originally designed to play a run heavy team like that. When we played teams that the spread offense, we where good to go.

Exactly..

Good:
Bad:

Move my #3 from Good into the Bad category. From Payton and Schweitzer plus likely Burkhalter we're moving towards a shut out in OLB recruiting. Perhaps we'll look for JUCOs? Payton may be on the way out soon. Not sure he's ever even visited.

Good:
Bad:

There is nothing bad about losing Avante Dickerson. The kid is great vs. White kids from Nebraska with 4.8 forties.

But he was routinely torched when he faced D1 athletes who played for Bellevue West.

He will never play at Minnesota and end up at South Dakota or some place similar.

Move my #3 from Good into the Bad category. From Payton and Schweitzer plus likely Burkhalter we're moving towards a shut out in OLB recruiting. Perhaps we'll look for JUCOs? Payton may be on the way out soon. Not sure he's ever even visited.
Great. Thanks for lifting our spirits up today. :(

ADVERTISEMENT